Clerks : What I didn't like about a film I love.

What I didn't like about a film I love.

I love Clerks for what I imagine most people love it for. Witty banter, nerdy references, slice of life settings and situations. I think this, the reality factor, is what makes the film.

What I don't like are the portions that destroy that "I totally can relate" and "that could totally happen" feeling. Some portions push plausibility but could still occur. Others...just wouldn't. Mainly these two:

1) Randal knocking over a coffin.
2) The whole sex with a dead guy thing.

These completely unrealistic scenes temporarily ruin my watching experience. I don't know why they were written in as I don't think they add anything to the film. If anything I would have liked it more if they weren't shot and were replaced with something else. How about shenanigans when a customer tries stealing some stuff? Or random occurrences outside the store? A robbery?

Anyone agree or disagree?

Re: What I didn't like about a film I love.

You do realize that there were no lights in the Quick Stop's bathroom and Caitlin thought Dante had already came back from cleaning up for their date, right? Not saying it was totally plausible that she ended up *beep* a dead guy, but nevertheless...

"Don't believe everything you hear on the radio." - Charles Foster Kane

I'd say it wouldn't have been out of the question that she was a little high from some drugs or alcohol.

Why wouldn't knocking over a coffin ever happen? It has happened. I've heard it of happening personally, and there's stories online. Just search "knocking coffin over" and see how wrong you are.

The sex with the dead guy thing was far fetched, though. It's one thing she thought that Dante was back there, but the old man was clearly not the same build as Dante. Didn't she at some point feel his gut? Before it got too far? She just felt a dick and started to screw it? Yeah, that's very far fetched.

Knocking over the coffin is believable. Especially since they didn't show it.
And I know they made an animated scene of it, but that was absurb and I refuse to believe thats what kevin smih thought of at the time he made the movie.

Now clerks 2, that has lots of crap that's unrealistic (the dumb abc dance scene)

Destroy this city of delusion

I saw the dance scene as a fantasy bit. But even if it was supposed to be "real" in the context of the movie, it was just good fun.

Both those parts are hilarious.

That's why they're there.

Agreed, that sex with a dead guy thing was just unnecessary

The sex with a dead guy thing didn't work for me either. As others have said, she'd know that it wasn't his body. Besides that, Caitlin says something to the effect that she enjoyed the fact that he just lay there and let her do all the work, which, I guess, was supposed to explain why she didn't realize the guy was dead. But wouldn't she wonder why he didn't respond at all physically or verbally, even if he was taking a completely passive role in the act?

When Caitlin came to the store and she and Dante talked about getting together, I couldn't wait to see what twist was going to come out of the Dante-Caitlin thing. I found this to be a bit of a cheap way out.

I always kinda thought that her having sex with the dead guy was like a joke on that story Dante told to Randal where she "cheated" on Dante at that party by going into a dark room, having sex with him and then realizing she had meant to have sex with some other guy.

It was kinda saying, "she's still that dumb bitch that *beep* anything in a dark room" only this time she actually meant to *beep* Dante.

I thought it was pretty funny.

I was just going to write that. Good one, buddy.

To be honest if you haven't had BOTH of those things happen yet (or even on a bi-monthly basis), you haven't lived enough!

You had problems with these but were fine with Randall spitting water onto a customer for reading a tabloid? I don't even...

Really. Especially when Randal and Dante pull stunts that would get their asses fired in the real world. Randal wouldn't have lasted at the video store for a day with his attitude. They can only get away with their crap because their managers are never around and for whatever reason nobody ever complains.

Plus his wang just happened to be exactly like Dante's?

The only thing I didn't like about this film was when I came to mark it I noticed that over 2000 people took the trouble to mark this film a 1 ... What the £&@? ... I marked it a 9 ... Great film ... Loved it ...

I swallowed a bug ... River

The ABC sequence in II is fine, it's such a happy and awesome sequence I don't mind the fourth wall being broken. Pillow pants, on the other hand...

Another thing about this one that's insanely unrealistic and stupid is a guy getting his hand caught in a Pringles can. That's almost as bad as the corpse sex.

The idea was to be funny, gross, and over-the-top and stay inside a low budget. Kevin Smith pulled it off swimmingly!

Dante is a good guy. All through the movie we want things to work out for him. But everybody he encounters sabotages his efforts, including Randal knocking over the coffin and the old guy dying with his wood in his hand.

It's farce. If you start nit-picking about what would REALLY happen if this, that, the other, you spoil the fun of it!

If you want "reality," I recommend Fredrick Wiseman documentaries. Maybe he's got one called "Convenience Store."

Jeez, for a generation of people brought up on video game adventures and zombie shows, you people sure want for imagination!