Sex and the City : Carrie and marriage

Carrie and marriage

If Carry complained non-stop about meeting the perfect guy and getting married how come when she found the closest perfect, gorgeous man, Aiden, who she claimed she loved why did she not marry him. He was way better looking than Mr.Big, better age appropriate, more loving and treated her 100 times better than Mr.Big ever did why in God's name she refused to marry him. Even if she still had feelings for Mr.Big, who actually married another woman that was the dullest and snottiest woman that apparently had nothing to offer to make Mr, Big a better person,compared to Carrie's New York shoe loving unique personality, I mean she was the total opposite of Carrie and he made such a big deal about never getting married. I would of been so insulted and furious that he had the nerve to marry another woman. Seems as if Carry wasn't good enough for him and he did the biggest insult imaginable by marrying Natasha. I was glad we she busted out her tooth because first off, she was an evident stuck up snob who tried hard as she might to change Mr.Big, (apparently, he wasn't classy enough for her either). If I was in the same situation there is no way in hell that I would marry a man that wouldn't even introduce me to his mother yet alone later on marry some pretentious upper class woman on the sly in Paris...and on that note...how in the hell, did she give this Alecsander a second glance. He was self-centered, rude, highly pretentious as well and automatically made the announcement she was moving to Paris with him after being so damn rude to her friend at their first meeting. Where did they get the idea he was handsome was beyond me...he looked like a washed up old handbag. When they got to Paris he total put her on the back burner and had no intentions on giving her any attention that she apparently and desperately needed. Plus his daughter acted so snide and a total bitch towards Carrie, the way she looked at her and made fun of her because she was an American and liked the Eifel tower He was blind to her needs and we she wanted to talk to him about leaving her in the museum and making her miss her party, she wasn't even important enough to discuss what he had done to her even though she sacrifice everything for him. How did the writers allow this to happen. They couldn't give Carrie who apparently had damn good common sense through out most the series tolerate such an *beep* was willing to do all this for Big and Alecsander but not for Aiden who was a total catch, sweet, loving, re-doing the entire apartment.. After 25 years of marriage I would do anything to have man like Aiden....don't get me started on Burger who was also self-centered and couldn't be happy for her success. Carry was wiling to give all these *beep* a chance but when it came to the perfect guy she casted him off. I never understood the theory behind all these crappy boyfriend but not for Perfect Aiden. Also. the way she acted at his cabin. OMG! Are all NYC women like this, no place to but a pair of $500 shoes, and he's considered some kind of country fool. I just don't understand this side of Carrie who usually thing is cool and funny especially in the "Hot Child in the City" episode. I actually like Mr.Big but to mess with her head so many times especially after he had the heart operation, I would of walk out and never looked back after the way he treated her after she cared for him all night...it was so clear she was the only one that gave a rats ass about him and he still had to turn cold and left her feeling unappreciated....what's the deal with NYC people. Are they all like that. Is it actually that hard to find someone to get married? Her choice of boyfriends and the way she casted off Aiden seems so surreal to me. I guess down here in Texas, if we find a decent man that loves us and we love them back we don't hold off in case something may better come along...life is too damn short for that kind thinking. So, what do you have to say about her crazy love life even though she had common sense in all other areas. She's a great character, but somethings seemed unreal and too cutesy especially when she goes to see that French Film by her self. She is just sitting there with that stupid smile on her face....come on people, no one enjoys a foreign movie by themselves. Am I to Southern to understand a Yankee girls way of thinkin? LOL

Re: Carrie and marriage

Wow what a wall of text. You know, paragraphs were invented for a reason. I got about to the second sentence before I rolled my eyes and gave up. Just because you'd prefer Aidan doesn't make him perfect and doesn't make him perfect for every single woman. Aidan and Carrie had really nothing in common even before you get into all the trust issues.

-
Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that I'll be over here looking through your stuff.

Sorry you were so offended by my Post. I am disabled and have very little contact with the outside world. Before my seizures and severe memory loss I was very intelligent and intuitive woman, and was the top of my fiend as an electronic engineer who one many awards in writing a poetry. I just wanted to reach out and discuss something I was thinking about while watching several episodes. I had no idea IMDB was just another site for trolls like you to find fault and put others down. It took me sometime to write that post and even in writing it, I was getting aggravated because I couldn't get my thought out properly. And again forgive me for not using paragraphs, didn't realize I was in English class. thanks to people like you this site is no better that another site to find fault and bash on people as if a you are a bored teenager who doesn't feel better unless they are insulting someone on Facebook. so God forbid me for trying to reach and have a conversation on a subject that interest me. Instead I get two pretentious *beep* that have nothing better to do but insult me. so, in a nutshell, KISS MY ENTIRE WHITE ASS YOU ARROGANT, POMPOUS, SMUG AND EGOTISTICAL DICKHEAD.

Still one paragraph tl;dr. Why even write if you aren't going to write decently enough for anyone to bother?

-
Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that I'll be over here looking through your stuff.

I really had a hard time reading this senseless drivel. I wouldn't even know were to begin so I will just say the entire post is to say the content is wrong and the post is poorly written.

Sorry you were so offended by my Post. I am disabled and have very little contact with the outside world. Before my seizures and severe memory loss I was very intelligent and intuitive woman, and was the top of my fiend as an electronic engineer who one many awards in writing a poetry. I just wanted to reach out and discuss something I was thinking about while watching several episodes. I had no idea IMDB was just another site for trolls like you to find fault and put others down. It took me sometime to write that post and even in writing it, I was getting aggravated because I couldn't get my thought out properly. And again forgive me for not using paragraphs, didn't realize I was in English class. thanks to people like you this site is no better that another site to find fault and bash on people as if a you are a bored teenager who doesn't feel better unless they are insulting someone on Facebook. so God forbid me for trying to reach and have a conversation on a subject that interest me. Instead I get two pretentious *beep* that have nothing better to do but insult me. so, in a nutshell, KISS MY ENTIRE WHITE ASS YOU ARROGANT, POMPOUS, SMUG AND EGOTISTICAL DICKHEAD.

Damn, you could have at least given a custom personalized rant instead of copy and pasting the same one.

i killed two birds with one stone...excuse me for using the few little tiny brain cells I have left...you pompous airhead..

Perhaps You should consider devoting a few brain cells to writing a coherent post instead of a bitchy rant. Just a suggetion. If you have the energy to write scathing posts laced with insults you can utilize the return key to properly space out the post. Also, if you came across a little nicer, as I suspect that you are using your disability as a defense mechanism to garner sympathy. Just a suggestion.

Wow, is there a reason why the two of you need to act like such *beep*

Hi rachaelchavez, welcome to the board! No need to go into detail about why your writing skills/mistakes/comprehension/etc may appear a bit different. Sometimes people that post and english isn't their first language will mention that but i don't think it's necessary :) So it's all good, and i get what you're saying.

Aidan did seem like the perfect guy - loving, romantic, generous, easy going, no commitment issues, adored Carrie, forgiving. A total sweetheart really. But was he right for Carrie? I don't think so, they had very different views on what they wanted out of life so imo they would never have worked. I also think he was portrayed maybe a little too perfect so they could show he was the polar opposite of Big yet Carrie still wasn't happy...

I don't think Natasha was a snob, it's hard to gauge what she really was like as we know so little about her. We know she married someone that she didn't really know that well, we know she was aware of the affair and turned a blind eye, we know she could have been a bit controlling in the relationship. Otherwise it's hard to gauge her.

I agree the Aleksandr relationship seemed doomed from the start. Sure he was pretentious and domineering, but at the same time Carrie seemed desperate to change her life and relationships and happily and willingly gave up all control of her own life to follow him without giving it a lot of thought.

It's a nice thought to imagine relationships should be as easy as a happily ever after between Aidan and Carrie, but the beauty of the show is that it does explore all the complexities in relationships and how easily things can fall apart and how irrational people and events can become without much of a trigger other than what's simply going on inside one's head.

Thank you so much Tina, I didn't think I would ever get on the message board again. it was 1am in the morning, I hadn't slept in 3 days. A person can only played bejeweled a few times. so I figured I got on IMBD and start chatting about shows I love only to be attack about my writing skills. I've been published for Pete's sake. didn't think I had to have my grammar and text style perfect. and your opinion on all that I asked made perfect since. I guess I feel in love with Aiden and it ticked me off when she blew him off by 1st putting that beautiful ring on a necklace chain when my husband is on my 4th wedding ring due to him pausing them all the time instead of I don't know, find a side job....moron lol

As for Natasha, it takes 2 to have an affair, Big pursed her non-stop, going to her apt, calling her etc. It would of never happened if he would of left her alone, believe me it's hard as hell not to go back to your 1st true love even though you are in love with someone else and it seemed to me that Natasha blamed it all on Carrie, they never showed Natasha/Big side of the whole mess.

Aleksandra seemed self-center and a narcissist from the beginning. She gave up everting for him and he did everything wrong, especially the one time she finally found Stop correcting "happiness Paris, he crapped all over that as well.
Made all about him...boo freakity hoo..what a wimp.

The last 2 episodes of the series was AWESOME, It portrayed each and every woman's ability to love, sacrifice, share, and how much they loved each other especially when Miranda said "Go get our girl" Miranda knew, and Big finally gave up whatever the hell he was dealing with. But how he can go from a free spirit like Carrie and marry Natasha is beyond me.... Samantha actually falling in love, Charlotte loved so much she switched God's and finally getting her cute little baby, shows there is hope no matter what. Thanks again Lisa, That horrible person made fun of my disability, and my family saying he felt sorry for them even though I've been carry for them for over 12 yrs, starting with my grandmother, then my mom got sick and right when me and my husband thought we could finally break on our own, mom almost died and oldest brother dropped off my other brother who had no job (has 52) for over 2 years. Both men drink when I told them no alcohol on the property at all...but they are men and do whatever the want and when I catch them...ooooh wee...they get mad and try to turn 1st on each other than on me its crazy...lol, but life could be worse, my health is getting better and after 3 months of being bed ridden I finally got out of that back bedroom of mine and took back control of the house..(my husband isn't taking it to well..lol)you have restore my faith in having a decent chat on the internet again. Thanks so much, Regards, Rachael you are very intuitive, new how to break down my crazy reply and shed another light on things. Plus you are very kind. God Bless

Aww no problems at all, thank you for your kind words . For a show that ended a million years ago, it's great that this message board is still active and it's always good to have a new poster with a fresh perspective. There's some crabby people around and online it's too easy to let words fly from the fingers but that's the interwebs now isn't it? I've also found that the harder one person pushes, the more others push back even harder. We're not used to a wall of text in these parts, but i'm guilty of my own 'word vomit' occasionally so all good .

I guess I feel in love with Aiden and it ticked me off when she blew him off by 1st putting that beautiful ring on a necklace chain

I think most people love Aidan. Have you noticed when re-watching the series that it gets easier to pick out all of his flaws though? Especially with the second break up. Imo, he never really forgave her for cheating.

they never showed Natasha/Big side of the whole mess.

I've always pondered that myself, i wish there was an episode that explored that side of it! But then i think it would have taken too much away from the central characters, and maybe exposed how much damage Carrie caused and made her too unlikable- She was also skirting that fine line through the series. Also, it highlights what happens to the 'other woman' after an affair... They just walk away and don't have to deal with the destruction they caused.

Aleksandra seemed self-center and a narcissist from the beginning.

I'm with you on that one. Even when i try and be objective, i still think he was always an a-hole.

But how he can go from a free spirit like Carrie and marry Natasha is beyond me.

yeah... it was clear what he liked about Carrie was her sass and spirit. He was immature imo, he wanted Carrie's spirit, but in a woman that wouldn't challenge him. When she asked him 'why wasn't it me', he even told her that it just got too difficult. So he ended up with what he thought he wanted - beige. (and teeny tiny furniture lol!) Only to realise what he really wanted was Carrie (again!). Big took a long time to grow up and understand himself imo.

Once again, thanks for your sweet words and your input Rachael. We're not a bad bunch really if you don't mind looking past some of the more extroverted personalities that frequent here.

Carrie was in love with Big. She was in love with Big, and Big only, throughout the entire show's run. She loved Aidan, sure- and she was relatively happy with him, but she didn't love him like she loved Big. I guarantee that if it had been Big proposing to her in Season 4, she would not have been wearing the ring around her neck (which annoyed the hell out of me, what woman does that?) and she would not have been having hyperventilating attacks at the sight of bridal magazines. She would have been setting the date as soon as he stuck that rock on her finger. She was in love with one man and the reason she was apprehensive about marrying Aidan was nothing to do with marriage itself- it was the fact he was not the man she truly wanted.

I agree with this

no one enjoys a foreign movie by themselves.

I do. I went to two foreign films by myself in the last week and a half and enjoyed them both. Having someone I know sitting next to me does not increase the enjoyment of a film, foreign or otherwise. I don't sit there grinning like a goof, though.

Carrie seems to have ideas about what she thinks she wants without factoring the man's likes, dislikes, quirks, personality, etc. Even her ideas about Big weren't based in reality, but in what Carrie wanted him to be. I need to re-watch, maybe I'm remembering wrong, so if some comments seem off the wall, it's because it's been a while since I've watched in depth.

Carrie also seems to have a bit of the ol' "I would never belong to a club that would have me" thing. Self-esteem. But I just watched an episode for first time in a while yesterday, and it seems obvious (to all but Carrie, apparently) that Carrie doesn't have real "love" feelings for Aiden. He irritates the hell out of her. She cheated with Big and doesn't even try to understand what Aiden might be feeling or why he might want Carrie to break off contact with big. Carrie is a spoiled brat.

I think Natasha and Aiden were way to good for Big and Carrie. Natasha wasn't stuck up and dull to me. She was sweet, cool, calm and classy. Those type of women in my experience surprise you the most. Loved her response to Carrie fake lame apology.

Carrie in my opinion is not unique in the least. She is predictable drama queen which is why she gravitates toward guys like Big and dump on ones like Aiden.