Sex and the City : My Most Infuriating Carrie Moments

Re: My Most Infuriating Carrie Moments

Reading this entire thread has reminded me of even more moments of hers that made me dislike her and while re-watching I've been discovering so many more moments that annoyed me. Honestly, a list of the times when I did like her would be easier because there are so few.

Her narrow mindedness when it came to bisexual people and the way she talked about Samantha after she announced her relationship with Maria ("POOF I'm a shoe", or whatever). She could have just been supportive of her instead of gossiping about her like this, although to be fair Miranda and Charlotte were also part of this conversation.

Like has been said before, for a sex columnist she had a close minded view of certain things.

Also, inviting Big to Aiden's country house. I would be livid if I was Aiden. Her having to 'balance her karma' by talking to Natasha, understandable from Carrie's point of view, but did she ever think about how Natasha would feel? Loved how Natasha shut her down and that Carrie did learn her lesson.

I hated the way she treated Berger. Screaming at him after riding on the motorcycle was just mean.

That's taking things pretty out of context. She obviously didn't want to ride on it and didn't plan on that being the transportation and he pressured her anyway to look masculine. She didn't want to suffer so he could try to make himself feel better.

-
Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that I'll be over here looking through your stuff.

Another one....just seen it (Season 2 - Ep 17). When they all went to the Hamptons for partying.

Carrie meets Big, who is back from Paris earlier than expected. The whole time Carrie acts like Big needed her permission and / or blessing to get engaged. Well Carrie, it could've been you if you wouldn't have been too selfish and just went along to Paris with Big in the first place. But from then on you had another guy at least every other episode and you're being mad at Big for having somebody else? You're a real hypocrite!

The worst of the worst was her throwing up on the beach after meeting Big and his fiancée. Childish and immature ... let's say: typical Carrie.

"Pizz on you and pizz on your law!"
- Rubber Duck (Convoy)-

Um, perhaps you aren't remembering the event's correctly. Carrie wanted to continue the relationship and see big after he relocated. Big was the one who brushed her off and told her not to wait for him, that is why she threw the McDonald's food at him. Also, the issue with the engagement was not that he needed her permission, it was that he asked to marry a 25 year old girl after knowing her for less than a year. He had told her that he would never marry again and she understandably was furious and he strung her along for nearly two years.If you were in the same situation you would be pretty angry after being led on. Carrie was self centered and immature, but her reaction to those events are completely understandable.

Thanks for your reply. I do remember the events perfectly, since I'm binge-watching the series with my wife for about sixth time. I guess as a man I have a different perspective on things. And I just love to hate Carrie. Don't get me wrong, I do not hate the series at all, just her character, and that's a valid point to keep watching the series again and again. 'Cause it's just fun to hate her... and the series would not be the same if she would be any different.

- Rubber Duck (Convoy)-

I'm a man as well, and I understood Carrie being frustrated. I think your hate is what clouds your judgement of her as opposed to you being a man. I dislike the character, but it does not obstruct my judgement on particular incidents.

Some more I came across lately:

- Her scene at the fashion show (being a "real" model). Falling down and getting up. All good and fine. But you not have to stay on the floor for quite a while and then go up with a smug face pointing to all the cameras, showing off even.

- Carrie freaking out over a lovely Squirrel in the woods (in Suffern, NY) and then going completely berserk. And that from somebody who lives in NYC....a place with countless lovely squirrels on every corner (or at least tree).

- Carrie and her "you have to forgive me" speech to Aidan. Just to run away shortly after, after Aidan telling her that she broke his heart.

- Wearing her engagement-ring around her neck (like that it's closer to my heart....ugh!). I really feel bad for Aidan in numerous episodes every time I binge-watch the series.

- Carrie almost forcing Charlotte to sell Treys diamond-ring, just to give the money to her for her down-payment. She could have easily kept and sold her own ring. As usual...all about her being in the centre of all the action.

- Carrie happily accepting the fact Aidan buys her a home, renovating it completely. But can't get over the fact that there will be some adjustments to her life over noise and space (now that you actually live together with someone). ("....can you NOT talk to me for an hour please"). Glad Aidan left her the eviction note....

- Rubber Duck (Convoy)-

When did Carrie force Charlotte to give her the ring? I must have missed that part.

Season 4 - Episode 16

After Big and her other friends offering the money for the down-payment Carrie was really
disappointed in Charlotte because she did not. After that making a very strong point in selling Trey's Ring to raise the money for her (instead of keeping and selling Aidan's ring).

- Rubber Duck (Convoy)-

I see, that never happened in the episode. Carrie never asked for the ring in any way. She makes no mention of it until she noticed Charlotte wearing it and even the she only is critical of Charlotte wearing it like she we still married, which was a somewhat bizarre thing to criticize Charlotte for, but she made no connection to he financial issue. We know Charlotte tried get rid of it earlier but backed out. Charlotte on her own accord with no influence from Carrie made the decision to give her the ring,and still Carrie turned her down until Charlotte insisted. Carrie never wanted money from Charlotte, she was silly hurt by Charlotte's indifferent demeanor, unaware of why she was behaving that way.

Well, looks like you and me (plus my wife) do interpret many situations completely different. And we probably won't ever end up on the same page....but hey, fair enough.

Very much enjoy the series though....even though (or actually because of) Carrie is so such a divisive character (to us at least) that's one of the reasons the series is very enjoyable. SJP did a good job on that.... too bad for her she was mostly casted as Carrie afterwards, not as SJP (not sure though she's a one-trick-pony and could pull off other parts).

- Rubber Duck (Convoy)-

I completely understand and respect other opinions on the episode and it is very interesting to hear other people's opinions. However, with this episode I often see people(all against Carrie)adding in elements that never were in the episode. A common occurance is that people claim that Carrie strong armed Charlotte into giving her the money or wanted her ring to pay the down payment.Carrie never asked any of them(four girls) for money and the two who offered it she swiftly turned theme down and were shocked that they even had half to give her. What makes it odd is that one would think that Charlotte would have been the first one to volunteer the money. I guess the incident wouldn't have worked if the other two were put into Charlottes place because it would have not been so poignant. Charlotte the openly emotional and giving one going silent when her friend is in a crisis.

Actually, I still can't believe she met Big, in that outfit (I love her style but that outfit was not just for meeting a friend), to eat steak, lying to Aidan again.
And when she asked "the new Yankee" out, knowing Miranda was interested in him. Only to not care about him at all, cause it was all about Big and then calling Miranda for a pep talk.

Miranda wasn't interested in the Yankee. She was just a Yankees fan.

Give a hand to my band, Sexual Chocolate! Coming to America

Here is some.

- How she went to moan about how Charlotte didn't offer her money even though she had every right to not offer anything. I don't care how Charlotte got apartment. Everything Charlotte said to her is true. Its something she needs to hear. With the way Carrie continued to spend her money afterwards she never paid her back. I wish she would have been made to sell her cloths, shoes ect to pay for it herself.

- Dislike how Carrie handled herself when talking to Natasha instead of leaving her alone. Her lame insincere apology was lousy. It was to make her feel better not Natasha. I liked it so much when she put Carrie in her place.

- The whole Aiden thing. Poor guy. No wonder people made the face.

- Carrie being obsessed with people making the harsh face towards her. What would she expect after how she treated Aiden?

- She punched Big in the face because he accidently knocked her off while sleeping. It would be annoying but she should not have slapped him.

- Not thinking rationally about giving up everything in New York and moving with Alexander in Paris.

- When she squeals.

- Freaking out about squirrel. Isn't their squirrels in New York?

- Judged Aiden's house he was fixing up and the country in general.

- Telling Aiden about Miranda abortion even though she specifically asked her not to tell anyone. Carrie of course could not own up to her being in the wrong for doing that to Miranda.

- The reckless way she spends money. This annoys me because she wasn't made to feel any kind of consequence.

- She doesn't like it when Big checks out women. Then she drinks with a guy, , flirts, kisses and has sex with him. We all know that if Big did that her with she would be furious.

Carrie is messed up - that's why I love her. She is seriously flawed but you understand why she does the things she does. You just keep thinking 'no, Carrie, don't!' and she still does. I love that she never ever ever learns a damn thing through the whole series - she thinks she is learning but she never really does. It's not until the end of the second movie (which I didn't like either, not defending it, by any means), that she actually starts to learn something and take some responsibility for herself.

She thinks she is the most introspective and self-aware, but she is actually the least. The column is a symbol of that - she spends so much time asking all these deep questions but she never really gets down to asking them of herself.

Charlotte is set up to be the most shallow of the four but she is the one who actually learns the most and changes the most through the series. She grows up the most.

I love the times when people stand up to her and call her on her s**t. Most of the time, it's Miranda, but sometimes it's the other two or someone else, like Natasha. I love her attempt to get Natasha to listen to her, which she seems to think is totally sincere but Natasha is just not having it - like nope, you did something really, really, awful and I have no interest whatsoever in hearing your side of it or forgiving you - you don't get to feel better about this.

I love the episode with Nina Katz - again very similar - when she's completely obsessed with what someone thinks of her. It's not because she feels bad about what she did to Aidan, but just that someone thinks so poorly of her. When she confronts Nina, Nina is like 'whatever'. Carrie's obsessed with what she thinks of her but Nina has barely given it a second thought. I also love in that episode when Stanford calls her out for being a totally self-obsessed B, completely ignoring that he is finally in a great relationships with an awesome cute guy. Being a terrible friend.

I like that the series knows that Carrie has a lot of faults and it lets us see them.

-

How she went to moan about how Charlotte didn't offer her money even though she had every right to not offer anything. I don't care how Charlotte got apartment. Everything Charlotte said to her is true. Its something she needs to hear. With the way Carrie continued to spend her money afterwards she never paid her back. I wish she would have been made to sell her cloths, shoes ect to pay for it herself.

I think you missed the entire point to the matter as it wasn't about Charlotte not offering money. Also, nothing suggests she did not pay it back and when Charlotte insisted on her taking it, she mentioned it taking a long time to pay back. With her career advancement, she probably paid in full rather quickly.