Sex and the City : My Most Infuriating Carrie Moments

Re: My Most Infuriating Carrie Moments

Her telling aiden he HAD to forgive her for cheating on him with big and then saying she couldnt cut big out of her life

Wow

Well...he did have to forgive her if he wanted to be with her.

-
Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that I'll be over here looking through your stuff.

Keeping Big in her life when she decided to try again with Aiden really infuriated me. But she was right, if they were going to be together, he has to forgive her.

Yeah I think it was b.s. that Big was a part of her life she couldn't let go of, and Aidan should have seen that as a big huge red flag. If a guy cheated on me and I forgave him but he still wanted to be friends with that girl but said it wasn't sexual anymore, I would be furious. We the audience knew she had no intention of hooking up with Big, but Aidan didn't. Neither of them could really commit to moving past the cheating. Carried really should have cut off ties to Big for her relationship. It wasn't like they had a lot of mutual friends it was impossible to avoid him. I doubt if there was no cheating they would have worked out the first time, but since neither of them could overlook it, it was a really terrible idea to take the relationship to the next level before dealing with it.

-
Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that I'll be over here looking through your stuff.

Aidan was crazy to go back to Carrie and was always WAY too good for her. He was always way out of her league. I think the writers only wrote him back in during a particularly bad dry spell because NO man would EVER take Carrie back after all that lying and cheating (not to mention the fact that her face looks like a foot). And he was very correct to not trust her for cheating on him multiple times in the past. Everybody knows: Once a cheater, always a cheater. And her refusing to wear his engagement ring on her finger for all those weeks/months? Just another sign that she never wanted to marry him in the first place. What a huge waste of time (& heart) for Aidan. So glad he moved on & did much better than Carrie with his subsequent marriage and family life. Carrie was nothing but a big, selfish flake and when it came down to it, she was no deeper than a teaspoon. At the end of the series, they just should have had her marry a life-size pair of Manolo Blahnik high heel shoes. It would have been a match made in heaven and was probably the only thing she'd ever be truly faithful to.

^*^ PDB ^*^

I agree with the majority here, if he made the decision to go back with her then he does have to forgive her. Theres a difference between forgive and forget but he cant keep holding it over her constantly. Having said that, it doesnt give Carrie the right to still have phone calls with him and invite him to Aidens house...

I never understood how Carrie could be so selfish and arrogant. Who in their right mind keeps up a "friendship" with the man they cheated on their current boyfriend with and act like the boyfriend is the bad guy cause he isn't all A-ok with it?

Judging Aiden's cabin bugged me since she was in no position to judge anyone when it comes to purchases or money. How are you, woman who owns nothing, going to judge a man on a home he purchased and is fixing up?

Making a big to do about the kind of ring Aiden picked out to 1) not even wear it on her finger and 2) ending up not even wanting a ring for her marriage to Big. The whole wrong ring, wrong guy speech was a lot of hit air.

Going to Big's office to ask him how he turned a sum of money into like $10 million like she was going to somehow go through that process in the next few days so she could buy her apartment.

Inviting Big to Aiden's house and then instead of admitting she's a bitch says "I didn't mean to". And then allowing Big to get visibly drunk at Aiden's home knowing he wouldn't be able to drive back to the city.

Sending Aiden to help Miranda and not even telling her she wasn't coming.

When Susan Sharon bought her the cashmere birthday present and instead of a thank you she says "do you mind if I return it? I could really use the cash". Tacky tacky tacky

Agreed on all points! Also, what really bugged me was during her book party when she invites Samantha as her +1 (and her PR agent, too, of course) and Samantha gets her first chemical peel the day before & ends up with a burnt face. Instead of being supportive and sympathetic to her best friend, she continuously insults her and begs her to hide her face and/or leave so as not to embarrass her. Which was just plain mean. True friends would never do that.

I know it's just a silly show, but throughout the entire course of this show, I found Carrie to be a *beep* friend most of the time. Shallow, selfish and flaky while her three friends seem to be much more giving of themselves when it comes to Carrie's needs than she ever shows for them. Like when she is mugged and her sandals are stolen, and Miranda drops everything and leaves her job to come to her aid with an emergency pair of shoes so that she doesn't have to go barefoot. The first thing Carrie says is, "Oh no, I'm not wearing these shoes." Instead of something more along the lines of, "Thanks so much, Miranda, for dropping everything to come and help me!" Which she never, ever does.

Also, that garbage where she bugs Charlotte for NOT offering her the money to buy her apartment back from Aidan when it goes condo. That whole episode made me nauseated, actually. "Offer to loan me a huge chunk of your money so that I can (effectively) turn you down, but then take it anyway!" And, of course, all that business with Big and his money. When stuff like this happens in the real world, we suck it up and move elsewhere to someplace more affordable. But then again, this isn't the real world. If she really needed the money, she should have sold a few of her designer outfits and shoes. That's the only way she would have truly learned a lesson; she always did care more for high fashion items than for any of the people in her life.

I always wondered how, during six years of this show, a plot line never emerged where Carrie & one of her friends fall for the same guy and have an argument over that instead of some of the more trivial topics they DO end up fighting over. It's a much more realistic plot line than some of the ones thrown at us during the series run. Couldn't help but wonder...

^*^ PDB ^*^

That annoyed me so much about the shoes, too! Her friend comes to help her, and the first thing she says is "I can't wear these"? So high-maintenance. You just got robbed and are barefoot, for goodness sakes.

Her shrill shriek/scream. Especially how over done it was during the Sex and the Country episode over that damn squirrel.

-When Miranda is upset about Steve having testicular cancer, and the way she yelled at him about it, and then Carrie changes the subject to trying to get someone to come with her to Aidan's cabin.

-On that note, the fact that she acted like she was suffering to go for a romantic weekend in the country with her loving boyfriend, and that she brought one of her friends (Samantha) as a distraction. I mentioned this one instead of inviting Big there, because that one has been repeated so many times.

It bugged me when when Carrie reminisced about cheating on a 5th grade exam. She said her classmates were caught and punished but she was not found out and it never mattered...but it did, as she grew up to be a cheater.

True.

I hate how she silences everyone, "Miranda zip the lip" when Miranda has some questions about Charlotte picking a wedding date, "No, she's done" when Samantha is talking about sex in front of Aidan or one of her bf's I forget which one.

Also, not helping Miranda more with her baby, it is her godchild after all. I try to go over at least once a month to babysit her 1 year old so she can get her nails done, or even just have a nice long nap. I'm not big on babies, but she's my goddaughter and I love and care about my sister and her daughter and want to help her out.

I'm watching this series again on Amazon Prime, having seen it at least 3 times previously. And I have to agree on most of the Carrie moments. But the most infuriating for me was at the end of the first season. Big is taking her on vacation. He comes to pick her up for the airport. Before she'll get in the car she wants him to commit, to tell her he loves her. Her neediness was appalling, discomforting and infuriating.

If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

IKR?! He even tries to placate her with "Let's talk about it when we get there" or something like that to let her know he is not totally opposed to the idea (of telling her she is THE ONE (gag). But nooooo, she has to have immediate gratification and control. I was happy when he just drove away, perplexed, and never called her again until she attempted reconciliation in Season 2.

And Big was always getting trashed when it was undeserved while Carrie was permitted to be egotistical & needy by her many fans.

I'm now noticing a lot of unlikable things about Carrie's personality that I had ignored when I first watched the series way back when.

If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

I am noticing a lot of things about Carrie I do not like - things I never considered the first (or 100) times I watched the shows.

Watching as someone a few years old later on down the road gave me a different perspective of Carrie. I don't really like her now.

Me either. I find her unbearable now.

Carrie's general disdain for everything not New York City. I get that New Yorkers can be very insular and narrow-minded. But her disgust of Aiden's country house and its surroundings was ridiculous. Upstate NY is one of the most beautiful places in America.

Not to mention the terrible way she treated Ray from New Orleans (the Navy man who asked her to the party) because he had the audacity to say that NYC wasn't for him and that he was homesick. The poor guy.

How did she treat the navy guy poorly? Didn't she just stop chatting with him? Did she treat him poorly by not providing sex?

-

I didn't think she treated him badly, either. But he sure was hot.

Not to mention the terrible way she treated Ray from New Orleans (the Navy man who asked her to the party) because he had the audacity to say that NYC wasn't for him and that he was homesick. The poor guy.

That guy was soooo cuuute!

Complaining about getting horse manure on her Manolo Blahniks after being dumb enough to wear Manolo Blahniks to a horse stable

That episode was on TV this weekend. I always think DUH why did you go in there wearing them?

Is it worse to wear Manolos to a stable or vintage Valentino while baking with small children?

-

Another typical Moonlighty comment. Wearing Valentino while baking cupcakes is also a thoughtless decision, but in case you missed it, this is a post about CARRIE moments, so I posted about something CARRIE did.

I'm saying if it were someone else, I wonder if people would be complain as much. But I can see my thoughtful comment went over your head.

-

You didn't say that at all, and if you've paid any attention to the board for the movie where that scene actually happened, you'd see there's quite a bit of commentary on it.

I'm asking the person who said it if those two incidents are equally infuriating or if it's not as bad if you like the character alreadys vs. if you don't. They all do pretty shallow and selfish things but how is it infuriating if it's Carrie and not others?

-

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Haven't read all the replies so don't know if anyone else has posted this but it's always annoyed me in season 3 episode 18 that Carrie throws her toys out of her pram (English expression) when Miranda cuts through the crap and tells Carrie she doesn't want to hear about Carrie's whining whenever she's with Big, to which Madame Bradshaw calls her 'judgemental' and says Miranda cut Steve out of her life (wrong) and that Miranda writes people off too soon (wrong again) . Oh grow up, for God's sake. She really could be the most insufferable character.

LOL, before I got to "English expression", I was actually trying to picture Carrie throwing toys out of a baby pram! Hahaha I was confused, like "When did that scene happen??"

LOL I remember that scene vaguely...Carrie lied about having an appointment and she fessed up to Miranda saying that she was going out with Big or something like that...Miranda announced that she was fed up with her and Big and if Big screwed up, yet again, that she didn't want to hear about it. Carrie yelled and made a scene and told Miranda that she was SO judgmental. I agree with both sides on that case though.

I'm pretty sure someone said this already but when Carrie put the Berger post it over Charlotte's new engagement ring and said something like "Paper covers Rock". That annoyed me!!

She was also super annoying the whole time she was at Aidan's cabin...All the screeching was just too much.
When she invited Big to Aidan's cabin just pissed me off, although it was super funny when Big got drunk and he and Aidan were kind of pals after the fight.
Oh and let's not even start on her strong-arming Charlotte into loaning her that money. In my opinion, that was just awful.

Oh and let's not even start on her strong-arming Charlotte into loaning her that money. In my opinion, that was just awful.

When did Carrie ever strong-arm Charlotte for a loan of money?

Are we really going to get into this debate here? I already know (from reading previous posts) that you have one opinion and my opinion differs from yours...

I was asking a legitimate question, I've seen every episode and I have no idea were Carrie strong-armed Charlotte to give her money. It was factual question that has nothing to do with opinion.
P.s
And opinions can indeed be wrong.Just because you say something is an opinion does not make it immune to error, and if there is an error it becomes a fallacy.

Exactly! Some people get so defensive when you ask a question to see if there opinion is based on facts. Since no where in the show did Carrie strong arm Charlotte for the money, cloaking she did isn't a valid opinion.

-

Seriously, on a lesser extent...or bigger, im not sure which one is worst, that episode(Ring A Ding Ding) is another one where facts are ignored in order to fit the preceptions the individual misinterpretes. Jutst about every conversation I have on the said episode involves people placing inclinations and motives that are not present withinn the epiiode. When asked about facts they either ignore it or play the opionion card when lacking a descent arguement. Im am by no means against someone having a different opinion than me as long as it is based on valid facts and understanding.No matter how much factual evidence that was was presented in the episode "The Real Me" peopel continue to stand by their view. Even when several synopsis were presented wasn't enough to sway the opinion,so I guess the writers of the show dosent understand their own work.

Lrd - I never felt that Carrie strong-armed Charlotte either. Carrie was legitimately hurt, as Charlotte ignored her very real problem. How many times did Carrie listen when Charlotte found "the one"? All Charlotte had to do was encourage Carrie to keep Big's check, or offer her a place to stay for a specific amount of time. Instead she somewhat snarkily said something like, Big is just giving you all that money? Charlotte expected and received an apartment worth millions after a very brief marriage, yet she was surprised Big would give Carrie the money to stay in her home. In addition, Charlotte shouldn't declare that they are all like family. It sounds so phony in light of this situation. I really don't dislike any of the ladies, so maybe I didn't find what happened in this episode a big deal. Of course Carrie should have just taken Big's check, end of story. She never listened before when her friends told her she shouldn't do something with Big. Naturally that would've made for a very short story.

Edit to add - As they say in politics, you can have your own opinion, but not your own facts.

I honestly don't know were or how people come to their conclusions when dealing with this episode. There was no part of the show that even suggests that she wanted money from any of the girls. She turned down three offers, why would she zero in on Charlotte? She was simply hurt by her actions at the restaurant, and Charlotte knew she behaved wrong. Carrie had not illusions on were her financial troubles started, nor did she expect any of the three girls to bail her out. It was only Charlotte's indifference that she wanted an explanation for, and not a lecture from Charlotte. The ring, was all Charlotte, Carrie had nothing to do with her offering it to her. Some people seem to be very irrational when it comes to this story-line. And I agree, taken it from Big would have been the wiser choice.

Miranda cut Steve out of her life (wrong)

Well, I mean, Miranda did cut Steve out of her life. Remember after Miranda & Carrie saw Steve on the street and they dramatically ran away from him?? And Miranda said later how she felt about an ex; "We didn't work, you need to not exist."

Don't get me wrong, Carrie was extremely annoying & over dramatic in the scene in the thrift shop... I mean, was she really surprised at how annoyed Miranda was about having to hear about Big yet AGAIN?! I think Carrie felt as though Miranda was attacking her, like Miranda is her friend so she should just sit there & listen to it, ad nauseam. Insane!

Two Words: Marrying Big

How could any self-respecting woman with an ounce of common sense EVER take that man back?!
She made me sick.

I'd say this cloud is Cumulo Nimbus.
Didn't he discover America?
Penfold, shush.

"YOU HAVE TO FORGIVE ME!" to Aiden. Ugh infuriating. NO HE DOESN'T, you cheated on him and spread your legs for your ex-boyfriend multiple times.

Although to be fair, if he couldn't forgive her he never should have gotten back together with her in the first place.

RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH! - Eric Cartman

As much as Carrie irritates the f out of me with the whole "you have to forgive me" mulitple times crap, she was right. He did have to forgive her if he wanted to be with her, if he doesnt have to forgive her/cant forgive he shouldnt be with her.

The more I re-watch the series, the more I despise her actions and behavior !

I started noticing how she always took the girls conversations back to her own whatever petty issues. Even conversations that needed more attention.

or times when she dint show any gratitude to her friends or lovers for their kindness ! she almost never returned the gestures ....

I dint understand why did she behave like big was the person solely responsible for the way they were caught by Natasha. She was the one prancing around Natasha and Bigs house in her bra and spending her own sweet time their ! and at the hospital she left big with the statement ! "we are so over we need a new word for it !" ! take responsibility women ! you just outed his affair to his wife !

The time she behaved like it was aidens fault for her motherboards failure ! her anger on him getting her a new laptop. Her inability or lack of knowledge of backing up her system ! she was a writer ! it was literately her job to know how to archive her own work in the proper method ! She has one job and even that she manages to skrew !

When she got court papers to buy out her share for the house after breaking up with aiden she qoutes "great love stories end with tragady and tears not court papers "...... what does she expect ? like i cant even begin to write how wrong this statement is ! when everyone says they have their own place ! she quickly tells Charlotte "you got yours in a divorce settlement you dint have to pay for it " ! thats just bitchy !!! she was married to trey and what happened between them was not carries right to comment on ! char suffered a lot in that marriage and carrie was aware about it ! and then to go on and say that...its just ballsy

Or the time when she irrationally walked over to Charlotte's house to yell at her for her own lack of financial sense ! Char was right to point out that Carrie was a ""35"" year old women with no real sense of responsibilities and should start behaving more mature when it comes to money ! people start taking financial decisions sooner in their life !

The worst thing she managed to do was force her apology on Natasaha !!!! thats just BS ! it was the most selfish apology ever documented !

she dint deserve to be the central charater of the show honestly ! its one thing to be flawed but she was downright intolerable !

The more I re-watch the series, the more I despise her actions and behavior !

I started noticing how she always took the girls conversations back to her own whatever petty issues. Even conversations that needed more attention.

or times when she dint show any gratitude to her friends or lovers for their kindness ! she almost never returned the gestures ....

I dint understand why did she behave like big was the person solely responsible for the way they were caught by Natasha. She was the one prancing around Natasha and Bigs house in her bra and spending her own sweet time their ! and at the hospital she left big with the statement ! "we are so over we need a new word for it !" ! take responsibility women ! you just outed his affair to his wife !

The time she behaved like it was aidens fault for her motherboards failure ! her anger on him getting her a new laptop. Her inability or lack of knowledge of backing up her system ! she was a writer ! it was literately her job to know how to archive her own work in the proper method ! She has one job and even that she manages to skrew !

When she got court papers to buy out her share for the house after breaking up with aiden she qoutes "great love stories end with tragady and tears not court papers "...... what does she expect ? like i cant even begin to write how wrong this statement is ! when everyone says they have their own place ! she quickly tells Charlotte "you got yours in a divorce settlement you dint have to pay for it " ! thats just bitchy !!! she was married to trey and what happened between them was not carries right to comment on ! char suffered a lot in that marriage and carrie was aware about it ! and then to go on and say that...its just ballsy

Or the time when she irrationally walked over to Charlotte's house to yell at her for her own lack of financial sense ! Char was right to point out that Carrie was a ""35"" year old women with no real sense of responsibilities and should start behaving more mature when it comes to money ! people start taking financial decisions sooner in their life !

The worst thing she managed to do was force her apology on Natasaha !!!! thats just BS ! it was the most selfish apology ever documented !

she dint deserve to be the central charater of the show honestly ! its one thing to be flawed but she was downright intolerable !

I haven't read all the other posts but I think it's the first episode of Season 4, where the girls go to an engagement party for a mutual male friend. Carrie & Miranda are talking to a few women & Miranda is telling joke after joke b/c she's trying to make light of the fact that she's single, instead of having the other women fell bad for her. And Carrie just about gave Miranda the dirtiest, "what the hell are you doing" look, like leave her alone, if she wants to tell jokes let her, it really wasn't a big deal!!!!!!

I saw it more as a mild look of confusion. Honestly the conversation after indicated she just was asking why Miranda was making jokes. If it was as direct and horrible as you say, then why didn't Carrie actually say anything like that? Perhaps you read things that aren't there simply because of biases against Carrie.

-