James Spader : he used to be sooo hot

he used to be sooo hot

Is it just me or does it seem like he aged very poorly very quickly. He definitely did not age well! I have had a thing for him from his earlier roles but he looks like a completely different guy now.

Re: he used to be sooo hot

He's still hot. It's not his fault some people cannot handle mature men and expect everyone to look like a teenager until they die. And every damn one of you has to start your own thread to make sure everyone notices that you disapprove of his appearance. Wouldn't want to just comment on an already existing thread to the same effect. This happens on every board for every actor who dares to not die young! People just have to make a big deal about them not looking like they did when they were much, much younger. Well, guess what. Some of us can appreciate the appeal of a mature man and when that man looks like James Spader it's easy to do. Go drool over whatever pretty-boy-du-jour is "hot" right now and let those who appreciate true sex appeal enjoy the men. Shallow children.

I do not have attention deficit disor…Ooh, look at the bunny!

Wow, TimmyAnn, why so aggressive? Amber was merely expressing a point of view and I agree with her.

It doesn't stop me appreciating his acting skills but I'm puzzled about how much he changed in such a short time while other actors of roughly the same age haven't altered to any appreciable extent.

its called botox, hair implants and lipo. dont be soo naive.

plus there might have been some medical reasons we dont know about.

I agree he's still got it and about people creating new threads. It's narcissism, or the "look at me look at me" personality.

I was not trying to be look at me look at me…I love his acting..I watch him every week on the Blacklist, I just felt there was a huge difference quickly…like another poster, supernova was not that long ago and he looks like a whole otheb68r person..but that is just my point of view

I love you, TimmyAnn! I was actually thinking your thoughts exactly, even before I read them. I was like "Seriously? Another post? Couldn't they just all comment on the same thread?" I don't want to be the person who replies to every post with the same thoughts, but it's hard not to when they all start their own thread!

James Spader has more sex appeal than almost any other actor I can think of. I would ravage him in a heartbeat. I think he's hotter now than he ever was.

>>I love you, TimmyAnn!

Oh, wow! I hadn't seen this until now. I sort of stopped looking at this thread because it pisses me off! Thanks for the kind words!

I agree Amber. I was5b4 thinking about this today when I came across something on Facebook. Looking through his IMDB pictures there's a couple that stand out that are dated 2004 he looks young and healthy then it jumps to 2013/2014. What happened? He was handsome. Maybe he didn't get all the Botox and facelifts like some celebs do and if so I applauded him? but man he was good looking!

He was definitely 80's hot, I wanted him when I saw him in pretty in pink

To me he just looks like a twenty year older version of Stargate's Daniel Jackson. He had a little weight in his face for that role the same as he does now. If he were to get back to his 2004 weight I think you would see just a ten year older version of him.

he is no longer a man with the face of a matinee idol. his looks are appropriate for his age and the characters he plays. that he once was that kind of gorgeous has nothing to do with the skill he brings to his roles. that skill is his real beauty…and that doesn't fade with age.

So very true! To me he is still a very handsome man…there is just something about him. When he was younger I used words like gorgeous and beautiful to describe him, now I use the word handsome and distinguished.

i find him charismatic.

Im sure he isnt losing any sleep over it. He still can get any woman he wants. I think hes still hot and im in my 20s…especially in interviews with those glasses of his.

part of his enormous appeal is his lack of vanity. he is totally unashamed of himself.

He got fat and bald, or some ugly haircut. I think if he didn't let himself go he probably would still be a very handsome man. George Clooney, Colin Firth, and Viggo Mortensen are around his age and they still look better than a lot of the young guys Hollywood is trying so hard to push on us.

I don't believe he let himself go, rather that he suffered (or is suffering) from some kind of illness that kicked in around the time of the second season of Boston Legal.. However, since he's always kept his personal life intensely private we're unlikely to know if this is the case.

I like him now more because I am not into "pretty-boy" looks and prefer men, who actually look a little "battleworn". You also shouldn't forget that 238he is past 50.

===========
http://Lorcagonzalez.blogspot.com
http://lorca-movies-reviews.blogspot.com

His aging was rapid and severe. I don't believe this is a case of someone just getting older or that people are vain and nitpicking on his looks. I think he's battling an illness that possibly affects his thyroid. I noticed on The Blacklist that he walks funny, one of his legs have lost some mobility. I don't think he let himself go or this is a case of just getting older. Something medical is going on. Great actor, and yes, he was beautiful. Still love him.

i think you may be right about the illness. and i agree with your final two sentences.

Has charisma. Plays baddies so well. He's hot.

Watching the movie Supernova for the first time and I had to do a double take. The movie came out in 2000 so it's not THAT old yet Spader looks like 30 years younger! Lean and ripped!

Great actor so not trying to be mean but yeah, if you were to compare him to many actors in terms of aging he sadly aged very poorly.

Yeah to me in supernova he was so incredibly hot..I mean don't get me wrong I would still be all about him I just can't understand why such a significant change in a short period of time.

Not that it makes a great difference in what you are saying, but Supernova was filmed in either 1997 or 1998. It was such a mess that it was re-edited several times and sat for two years before MGM finally released it. It was during this time that Spader's career was sputtering. It wasn't until Secretary, and then moving to TV, that he got things back into gear.

Aged? Yes.
Poorly? Never.

2002: http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/stargate/images/c/c2/JamesSpader2.jpg">http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/stargate/images/c/c2/JamesSpader2.jpg
2007: http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/bostonlegal/images/b/bf/James_Spader.jpg">http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/bostonlegal/images/b/bf/James_Spader.jpg
2014: http://images.enstarz.com/data/images/full/33771/james-spader.jpg">http://images.enstarz.com/data/images/full/33771/james-spader.jpg

Now give him a break .. all you people see is that he shoved his head and you can see his receding hairline (that's nothing a good hair stylist could not cover (if there were hair to work with, that is)) and that he gained weight (health or his own choice, who are you to judge?).

But to each his own, I guess.

You keep a stun gun in the birdhouse? What's under the garden gnome, a M-80?

It's weird that it's only a few years I saw him for like 2 minutes in The Office, and thought "Wow! This guy never ages!". And now, in the Black List, he basically looks like an old man. I was slightly shocked.

But he is 55, so I guess it's the age where your body and looks usually kind of "gives up".

I saw him back in 2009-2010 several times when he was on Broadway. For whatever reason he looked 10 years older when he was acting than he did at the stage door. As himself he looked to be in his late thirties or early forties instead of fifty. The same I believe holds true for TBL…he looks younger in interviews than in character, and I'm betting he looks even younger in person.

I respectfully disagree. I think he still looks great. He is in his mid 50's now. Plus take his character, Red Reddington. He shaved his head for that which is going to change his look. In addition, he has put on a little weight has he has gotten older, which is normal. He still looks tremendous. People aren't going to stay 20 forever.

Bren

don't get me wrong I completely agree with you and I still think he's an attractive guy my observation was that it just seemed like a drastic change quickly not like a steady progression as he's aged..

Re: he used to be

Everybody knows what the OP is saying, even when they feel compelled to "defend" Spader or an actor's right to age.

Not every actor who ages well does so because of artifical means – or non-actor, for that matter.

I've known people Spader's age, folks not in the business and not filled with botox nor plastic surgery buffs, who look far better than Spader (and, of course, as bad or worse).

Diet, activity, and genetics play a big role in this, for all of us.

And, let's face it, someone who had not only James' youthful beauty but who also emblazoned himself into the minds and imaginations of audiences as a gorgeously perverted sprite (as per his films roles) is going to shock them when he later reemerges looking ridden hard and hung up wet … with that perverted sprite image jarringly replaced by hideous sociopath (I'm talking about his acting roles again, you understand).

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m127/tubesteak69/Divas_Who_Drink-1.jpg">http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m127/tubesteak69/Divas_Who_Drink-1.jpg

you're right, of course, to the extent that the perverted sprite has been replaced…but i do quarrel with the label hideous sociopath. how about dangerous, amoral, fat and balding charmer?

He is not fat. He was a teeny bit pudgy on The Office, but he is not now (and he was never fat).

Not really, they can be very charming.

But isn't that what I just said?

LBJ's mistress tells all:

Oops, that's what happens when I post in the middle of the night. I totally misread your post!

He seems to have 2000aged rapidly and badly over the past ten years. He always looked really sleazy when younger and more so now.

GoonGirl for Hire

He was gorgeous when he was younger. Some of his characters were sleazy. He still looks damn fine to me. I hope when you are 55 people are just as kind to you about your appearance.

He was definitely gorgeous when he was younger; and I totally agree he looks fine to me, but I will say that he does look "different" than I would have guessed he would look if I were aging him out 15 years ago. Part of that could be the added weight (he is not fat) because he loses the definition of his cheekbones when he adds weight, and part of it is his hair loss. But none of this matters if TPTB continue to hire him for great character roles. These are the kind of roles he always wanted to play, but he was too much of a pretty boy to get hired for them. Physically he now fits the characters he wants to play.

I remember reading somewhere a while back that he has an illness; I know he has unusually poor eyesight. Maybe that's why he's aged poorly; or maybe just bad genetics. But, we all get old eventually. I guess I just have to settle for watching "White Palace." LOL. He's so gorgeous in that movie.

>>Maybe that's why he's aged poorly

A. No, he hasn't and B. how would poor eyesight make someone age poorly?

I remember similar comments when he started playing Alan Shore, and hearing that he had quit smoking, Pretty common to put on weight when giving up tobacco, and impressive that he was so comfortable with the trade off. The very poor vision might severely limit his range of workout options. Combine those two points with his supreme. - and super sexy. - self confidence, and wh2000at is left to explain?
And maybe he got tired of being objectified. I've often wondered if that's what happened with Brando .

I don't care much how he looks but I think he looks fine; quite distinguished and handsome. Great actor. I hope he is healthy and keeps up the good work for a long time to come.

He was hot then and he's hot now. Love him on The Blacklist. So sexy!

He's not pretty anymore but he's still hot. Imo . Sexy is something you are and he is.

Agreed on all counts.

I agree, but most importantly for me is that he is even a better actor today than he was in his twenties. The man is truly talented, and just so interesting to watch.

i think he is still hot in a mature way!

Well said.