Kevin Costner : He is trying to make a western next.

He is trying to make a western next.

He said so in the imdb chat for Black or White. But he also said it will
be hard to get the money to make it. Many people don't know that the
great Open Range almost never happened because someone pulled their money just before filming.

Re: He is trying to make a western next.

I hope Costner gets the funding for this movie (or mini series). When it comes to the western genre he's an ace.

Hopefully he can tell us more when he is promoting his new film.

I saw Open Range again over the weekend. It is so great it's not even funny. So will someone please give Mr. Costner the money he needs to make more westerns.

I really hope we get som news this summer.

He really is.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

If I had the money, I'd produce every single project Kevin desires to make because they're original and always try to swing for the fences.

Exactly, who would not, idiots i assume. The guy is a master at westerns and I do not need to sell that at all. You bring up a good question and has me thinking. If you were a billionaire, why would you not fund a western directed by Costner? I cannot even dare to say it would lose money and you could write it off if it did lose money. Another plus, westerns can be made pretty cheap these days with the right people and I just cannot imagine it failing after he did such great work on Open Range.

"Imagine how disappointed they'll be if they're Cubs fans."

Studios are so chicken. They are afraid to take risks and only try and cater to audiences.

I mean, KC is a master director and he's proved it yet they're afraid of original, western.themes projects directed by him ?

They don't finance his films yet they give money to hacks like Bay and Rattner to go and do their crap ?!?!

Again, if I were a billionaire, I'd give him all the money he needs to make the films he wants.

Kevin Costner is the man.

The problem is with the new generation that has to have special effects keep their attention span alive! If you ask me, special effects are the main stars nowadays. And the good acting is shoved aside and that is so unfair. I love a good story and the artwork of it. I like stuff like Star Wars and that but I loved Open Range, Dances with Wolves, Silverado, and we need more westerns. I even wrote one for Kevin. He is still unaware of it although I tried. But I love his stuff.

I'm a guy and I'm of that "new generation" you talk about, yet I'm Kevin's biggest fan and I like a good story. I don't care about the special effects if the story itself does not suck me in.

And you're so very right about the need of more Westerns ! I love Kevin's and wish he'd direct more of them.

Would you mind sharing with us how you tried to get the western you wrote for him to him :) ?

Yes!!!! I ordered an extra copy of my book. It was stolen in the mail. Second copy I mailed, it was lost, never delivered. I met up online with a distant cousin of his that I sent a third try to and she said she gave it to him at a golf tournament but I never heard if he actually got it or not. So I just gave up. It wasn't meant to be. I'm not that great a writer and very unknown so maybe fate spared me humiliation. That's how I will see it. Send me a private message if you want more details about it. Kevin is great, huh? I've loved him since Prince of Thieves, my f5b4ave movie of his.

Message sent ;)

He is probably trying to do the western movie series epic that he han mentionend. So for that I guess the budget w111could be quite high. Much higher than Open Range I think. I think he said he needes about 3 movies to tell the story. I love that idea and think it could become something truly great. But I also understand why it is hard to get the money for that, and to able to make it like you want to, and not the way the studio want to do it.

http://www.slashfilm.com/kevin-costner-western-series/

Here is what Costner said at the start of this year:

"Ive got this Western that I think I could make. I actually have this idea to make them all at once and release one on Memorial Day, one on Thanksgiving, and then one on the Fourth of July, all within a 12 month span, because its all the same story but it truly is a journey, with a fourth movie coming right after. Will I be able to do that? I dont know. But thats what I think about, thats what I try to do. And people go, Oh thats really interesting, Kevin. We dont think we can do that. And Im thinking Man, thats a really good idea. I thought that was a true ongoing series, or sequel if you will, that actually was an honest one. A second one wasnt invented because the first one made a little money".

Believe me, if I were a billionaire, I'd more than happily give Kevin all the money he needs to make every project he loves happen.

I agree. If I was some rich guy from say Dubai, I would rather give money to a Costner western than buy a football team.

Ha ha, I hear ya buddy. I'd do the same !

By the way, how long have you been a KC fan ?

It's nice to meet fans from all over the world who share the same passion for a given artist.

I am from Norway and have been a Costner fan for a very long time. When I was very young my brother showed me The Untouchables. I guess this must have been around 1988 or something like that. I loved the movie and Costner was such a strong screen presence for me. He seems to really care about the movies he stars in and he is so natural, so that is part of the reason I consider myself a fan. I also love westerns and he is just perfect as a cowboy.

I don't like to guess what a person is like based on interviews, but he also seem to be a really interesting guy. In one interview for the great Open Range, he said the movie is about what kind of person you are when other people are not looking. I try to think about that in my daily life.

If I could only bring 10 movies to a desert island, many of them would be Kevin Costner movies.

That's a really great story.

I'd love to connect with you and talk Costner seeing as I share many of the same thoughts you do about him.

I am one of the administrators of the "Kevin Costner Italian Fan Club" on facebook and instagram.

If you want to join us there, we'd be more than glad to have you.

Search for "Kevin Costner Italian Fan Club" on facebook and @kcifc on instagram :)

I'd like to see him hook up with Clint Eastwood. If there's a producer who knows westerns are still viable it's Clint. I wonder how their previous collabortion went for them ("Perfect World") on a personal level?

They've been friends ever since.

By the way, I was told by Kevin's make-up artist who's been collaborating with him for the last 5/6 years (did the make-up for him on Hatfields & McCoys, 3 Days to Kill, Criminal), that he's now reading a 400-page script for a western they're hopefully gonna be shooting in July in New Mexico.

Moreover, I picked up a magazine here in Italy the other day which has Kevin on the cover in which he gives a very nice interview and he also says that he'll be directing, producing and starring in an 8-hour western which he hopes will become a trilogy.

So, the piece of info I was told adds up.

Yes please.

Thank you so much! I have waited every day for a long time now for some news about this project. I had almost given up, but there is some movement now and that is just great. I don't belive it 100 percent before they are actually filming, but this was very exiting news. Hopefully he can tell us more when he is promoting Criminal.

You're most welcome, man !

Please, check us out on Facebook, too ! "Kevin Costner Italian Fan Club" :) !

There are some interviews from Kevin promoting Criminal on youtube now. I have seen 4 or 5 of them but no one has asked him about future western projects. But I have to say it must be a dream to interview him. He seems really relaxed and gives long answers even when the questions could allow him to give a short standard answer. He seems to be a really happy and giving guy in these situations.

If someone finds out anything about the western(s) please report it here.

at the end of this interview Costner mentions the 10 hour western. The title is "Horizon" !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zj94KcVa_Q

Re: He is trying
f4
to make a western next.

Very cool. Thanks! He says he hopes to do it next may. I think that would mean he aims for it to begin filming may 2017. Hopefully he means for it to start filming may 2016, and that we will se it on the big screen in may 2017.

The title Horizon is intersting. Over 10 years ago it war reported that Kevin was doing a western c2000alled Horizon. Maybe it's the same project or he just kept the title.

I'd taold you about it a week ago or so :)

Sure, I remeber that. Your news made me even more eager to get details from Costner himself, and him speaking about it a few days ago while promoing Criminal is exiting. What I would love to hear him say is something like, "we start filming in june". That would be confirmation enough for me.

But in the youtube interview he said he "hopes" to do the western. For me that sounds like he may need some more money to do it. So even if it is looking good for the western, many Costner movies has collapsed only months before filming was about to begin. That is why I want news about this all the time, so that I will remain positive about it getting made.

I followed the Kurt Russell Western project Bone Tomahawk for a long time. That movie got16d0 delayed for many years before they finally got the money to do it right. My guess is Costner will only do Horizon if he can do the movie(s) the way he wants. If the backers tell him what to do, I think he will walk away.
I am worried that that will happen with Horizon.

I think the next months are critical for Horizon. If something goes wrong now I doubt we will ever see it, so I hope Kevin gives us some more details soon.

I want news about this every day. If he is planning to film it this summer then they should be casting very soon. But like I said, maybe it is more likely that he has a plan to film it next year.

It it july now, so that means he will not film this epic western this summer. I think Kevin hopes to film this in may 2017 like he said in that interview for Criminal. I still doubt it. For such a big project so many things can go wrong, but if we are really lucky Horizon starts filming in 9 months time.

Nothing new on this lately. But hopefully he will start filming in may 2017 like he said. But since this is such a big project we should hear som casting news in the next months, and hopefully Kevin will give us an update when he is promoting Hidden Figures.

He is doing interviews for Hidden Figures now, so keep an eye out for information about his Horizon western project.

In an interview for Hidden Figures he said he'll shoot a western next and that it'll be of "epic proportions".

Thank you or "takk" as we say here in Norway. It is great that he is still talking about this project. But I have to say I would like more details now about the cast, the locations and so on. If this thing is supposed to be filming in 4 months like Kevin has said before, then we should have known some details by now. On the other hand Kevin seems to be a guy that don't give away details unless it is 100 perscent that this thing will be made.

I still hope he starts filming this may, but I guess june, july or august would be fine to.