Life : Trailer revealed a terrible cliche (and mistake)!

Trailer revealed a terrible cliche (and mistake)!

Look, there's a space germ, let me touch it. **** scream ****

Can people stop making sci-fi movies where people do the very obvious stupid decisions?

Same thing happened in Prometheus, when they find a space snake, why in the world will you go touch it?

Same thing happened many times in Europa Report, where all these characters just think of the most stupid thing to do, and then do it. Over and over.

Re: Trailer revealed a terrible cliche (and mistake)!

So it's "the Thing" in space

In his defense, he had was wearing a thick suit and likely didn't think the bacteria could interact with him

Son, that's not a rainbow, that's just the light reflecting off some baboon's waxed ass.

"in his defense"

if he didnt think it would interact with him then why touch it at all? its a terrible cliche as stated.

Because it's a bacteria and we're wearing protection like that for that very reason? If he was wearing more protection it wouldn't have mattered, it would get in.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

"Can people stop making sci-fi movies where people do the very obvious stupid decisions?"

Apparently not. I was actually really intrigued with the preview until that. Then I just shut it off. Too stupid for me.

He didn't actually touch it. He was watching how it responded to his movements. I mean if you want to condemn the whole movie for a 2 second part that's your business, but personally, I think that's a little dramatic.

Completely agree! Everytime I hop on these boards I see the same thing! Bunch of people thinking they know better than everyone else and acting ridiculous, or dramatic as you said. It's a movie trailer...relax.

It's following my finger...

1) Maybe I should grab a pen or something to use instead before it attacks like my cat going after any moving object.
2) Maybe I should stop in case it thinks I'm performing a mating ritual.
3) Maybe I should nuke it, just to be sure.

And what then movies would be about without stupid decisions?
This one would be shorter than trailer. :)
"- Nasa, we found a life form from Mars!"
5 seconds later.
"- It showed hustle behavior and we shut it back to space."
"- Okey, we going home."

Hustle behavior? That's awesome! Let's throw on some Earth Wind & Fire and boogie down!

there would be no movie for us to enjoy if the characters applied common sense lol

That statement is so true lol.

"All I'm asking for is total perfection." - Lord Business

thanks lol.

~ Alternative: Apollo 13 ~

Actually I prefer movies where smart people do smart things, or even stupid people do smart things.

Take out the stupidity, and you can still have plenty of good stories. The fallacy here is believing that some character has to do something STUPID to create drama/tension/plot.

I'm guessing most people reading this forum have seen the movie APOLLO 13, based on the ill-fated NASA mission. Smart people can fall victim to bad fortune, mechanical failure or forgetfulness. Watching how they cope, adapt, and survive is great drama.

These kinds of films don't have to be historical or based on technical things. There are plenty of decisions that are neither right nor wrong. Some of us are just tired of seeing stuff that is so blatantly wrong, stupid, ill-advised, etc. it kills any interest in the storyline.

In this movie in particular - maybe they could have avoided the dumb move by having the alien life grow a bit more and possibly escape the compartment by using it's talents to open the hatch from the inside. I'd much rather see an alien that creates an escape plan (Alien Resurrection) than idiot humans who eat any kind of slime that bubbles out of the ground (The Stuff).

Nothing can top the snake scene in Prometheus the most dumbest scene in movie history of any genre, I hate to overreact like many on this site do like utter idiots but nothing can top the sheer cataclysmic stupidity of that snake scene and the characters involved.

I would like to quote the famous explorer and astronaut Stanley "MC Hammer" Burrel here:

"I told you homeboy, u can't touch this"

It is much, much more difficult to write a script where bad things happen to characters despite them applying common sense and caution, rather than acting completely stupid. So, most films -and almost all horror films- opt for the latter. Having the characters do the most stupid thing that's imaginable is the most common and easiest way of advancing the plot. Stupid actions by characters are effectively plot devices, and could be considered soft plot holes.

Fanboy : a person who does not think while watching.

Look at Species. Not the greatest movie by far but the scene where the alien almost escaped the glove box made a lot more sense. The lady ripped her hands out and they were trying to get out and the whole time the thing was growing and about to crack out of the box until one of the scientists hit the incinerator. Scary, suspenseful and no scientist acting stupid. It's not that hard not to write a cliche really.

Oderint Dum Metuant