Star Wars: The Last Jedi : Shadows Of The Empire

Shadows Of The Empire

Who else remembers the SOTE novel and phenomenon back in the 90s, I think it was circa 1996/7? I remember at the time when I was a kid and obsessed with SW the excitement of seeing something new that involved SW and I was always a fan of the novel. Sadly it's too late to make it into a movie now with the main cast much older and Carrie's passing, it would've made an awesome movie back then. Perhaps in the new cinematic Expanded Universe characters like Dash and Xizor can still be featured, would be awesome.

Re: Shadows Of The Empire

Yeah I remember it was a Multi-Media project with the novel, comic book series, action figures and a video game of some sort all tied in together.

I liked it was during 1996. Think George Lucas added Dash Rendar''s ship as an easter egg cameo in the 1997 Star Wars Special Edition release or was it in one of the sequels?

Would have made a cool animation movie, missed opportunity.

Nothing is as it seems, nothing is just one thing and nothing is ever just over there;

Dash no

Xizlor yes

Shadows needs to be rewritten to be more character driven and better

The skeleton is sound...everything else

Yeah, it was basically all of the multimedia/merchandising push you would give a feature film WITHOUT the feature film itself, to test the waters of the strength of the Star Wars brand to still move units on toys and apparel and things like that.

Some say it was experimentation to see how successful relaunching the series with the Special Editions could be, which themselves were sort of a primer for the prequel trilogy.

Lucas is a shrewd businessman

Shadows of the Empire was fantastic, if only the Thrawn Trilogy and Jedi Academy trilogies got the same multimedia & toy scope Shadows did. Those stories are amazing, and need to be re-canonized by Disney.

I seem to remember SOTE was a big thing only a few months before the SE re-releases of the classic trilogy. I remember it was during that time SW nostalgia in the 90s became very big and you could even say it was a fad all over again at the time.

I remember. I own four Shadow of the Empire action figures (Rendar/Xizor/Fett/IG-88), the novel, the graphic novel and the PC game.

Sadly it's too late to make it into a movie now with the main cast much older and Carrie's passing, it would've made an awesome movie back then.
It would've been too late back in 1996 as well, without the digital face lift technology.

Perhaps in the new cinematic Expanded Universe characters like Dash and Xizor can still be featured, would be awesome.
Like reworking the media franchise, and retconning the story (of the Bothans), to exclude Luke, Leia, Lando and Wedge? Seem like it'd be better to just produce an animated mini-series, not too different from The Clone Wars.

Maybe not completely but I was thinking they could still bring in Dash and Xizor. Always wanted to see those two in a live-action movie.

There was also the Nintendo 64 game, never played it but it looked good from the footage I saw.

I played the game first and read the book after....

Perpetual outrage is the most popular religion today.

Yeah I like that story I played the game way back when it first came out and then I read the comics and eventually the novel. I might reread the novel now that you mentioned it.

Lose the Game!!!!!!!

The plot as it plays out in the game with some tweaking could be a good film. I just want to see SOTE finally get a film treatment in some capacity.

I agree. Although it would be a little difficult to make it without the characters of Luke and Leia being younger like they were during the conclusion of the Empire Strikes Back. I suppose the movie could be made but it would be much less interesting without a young Luke and Leia. The story would be a little different than the actual novel.

Luke might at least still be able to be present, they could digitally de-age Mark Hamill enough.