Freaks and Geeks : What's the saddest part of the show for you?

What's the saddest part of the show for you?

As funny as this show was, it was also really sad at times. The saddest part of the show for me was when Sam finds out Cindy is not the girl of his dreams after all. While I watched the show for the first time there were sad moments however, I always said to myself, don't worry Sam and Cindy will fall in love But once they're in that theater you know things are starting to go south. This show showed how things don't always work out in the end and I loved the show for that but sadly, that's probably why most people didn't watch the show.

We all go a little mad sometimes - Norman Bates

Re: What's the saddest part of the show for you?

Saddest moment I can't think of, I remember feeling very bad for Neil during the episode Noshing and Moshing. His dad cheats on his mom, his brother makes out with the love of his life, his ventrilaquist act was subpar, and then his mother told him everything in life gets more complicated.

I remember thinking, "sucky day". Poor Neil.

When the bully puts Bill into a coma and then is crying by his bedside, and still couldn't join them in the end

"This is a $4000 sofa upholstered in Italian silk. Its not just a couch"
"ITS JUST A COUCH!"

Is your quote from American Beauty?

Ya, that part of the show was pretty sad too.

We all go a little mad sometimes - Norman Bates

Yes it is(:

"This is a $4000 sofa upholstered in Italian silk. Its not just a couch"
"ITS JUST A COUCH!"

When Bill is sitting in the living room, watching his favorite show and eating grilled cheese, laughing his head off. Then his mom comes in with her new boyfriend, the gym teacher...

These are nowhere near the best years of your life.

Yeah, and he´s watching Garry Shandling. But the saddest part is when he's talking to his gym teacher and starts crying when he tells him he likes his Mom. It´s a shame that producers never continued Bill´s teacher & Mom relationship on future episodes.

The talk between Bill and Coach Fredricks in the car after the go-cart race. Bill breaks my heart in that scene.

Nick at the end of Discos and Dragons. You could tell he still really loved Lindsey, but he was trying to move on(but kind of failing). I wish there had been a season 2 for many reasons, but mostly just to see Nick get his life together and really move on. Anything with Nick makes me sad actually.

Not so much sad as it is heart wrenching: Sam coming home after riding around with Neil and Bill all night and sees his mom and dad have gotten him an Atari. So much was said in that scene without a word needing to be uttered.

Millie and Lindsey's friendship. This was one of my favorite aspects of the show. It's such a sad thing when you grow up and realize that you can't be friends with your childhood friends anymore because you have grown apart so much.(There is a really good Wonder Years episode about this too).

This is an environment of welcoming, and you should just get the hell outta here. -Michael Scott

Yeah, I found this entire episode to be quite heartbreaking. Even though Bill acted like a bit of a brat my heart just went out to him - he's so endearing.

Which episode of The Wonder Years was this?

It's a late reply, but in case you're still wondering the episode is Poker in season 6. It's been a very long time since I've seen the episode, but from what I can recall there was a distinct theme that Kevin and Paul had drifted apart as compared to how close they were in the beginning of the series. I don't remember a specific correlation between Kevin/Paul and Lindsey/Millie, but I just meant the vague and tragic notion of drifting apart from someone you were once so close to.

This is an environment of welcoming, and you should just get the hell outta here. -Michael Scott

Thanks i'll check it out :)

Yeah, that car scene did it for me too. Bill / Martin Starr was so good, I really want to see him in more movies.

Coach Frederick broke my heart too in that episode, attempting to become Bills friend and admitting his own short comings as "a jock". The end where Bill explains "Dallas" to him was so understated and sweet I nearly cried.

Such a beautiful, funny, and heartfelt series.

All the characters were sympathetic and so human, I can't say the same about ANY of the shows getting critical acclaim right now. Even the ones I love.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

I agree with all that you mentioned macduster lol. this show really hit it on point sometimes with its poignent moments. real characters. real reactions. i always liked the pace of which they spoke in this show it made it more realistic,, grunts mumbles, awkward faces. thats what it really looks like.

I love Wonder Years and so I am not surprised i love this show. plus i watched the whole thing in a week. recommended way for investing in characters fully.

saddest secens were when Sam came home and the parents got him the atari and they introduced it exactly how parents would do, well done Apatow. And Sams reaction which wasnt gratitude but a deep gratitude for having the type of parents that he has. they may be corny etc but he will never have to question their loyalty and yes when you are at that age, the last thing you need is stability to be a thing of the past or slowly fading away .

the other scene that made me tear up was when Lindsey got on the bus and said goodbye to her mom. she knew she didnt know where shed end up and that was a good scene. i might be one of the few who actually liked the ending. sure it was apbrupt. sure they could have gone one, the show had excellent writing and character development. plus each character was surprising and could lead to wherever, ie daniel. Plus ken was starting to develop more too. cant do anythgina bout it but appreciate the show for what it is. very good tv. and im mad everyday when im not creating a show like this again.

I was closin in on another BarBarian!

For me it's Vicki kissing Bill. It's like, she did it out of pity and just to shut Bill up, and she was ashamed of doing it.

I didn't see it that way at all. At first, she is horrified to be in the closet with Bill. She treats him like dirt, but he stands up for himself by calling her a jerk. Then he makes her laugh and asks her some thought provoking questions which make her think about herself. She opens up to him and she kisses him. I don't think it was out of pity. More like out of respect and an attraction to his personality which she finally opened herself up to seeing. Remember Neal knocking on the door calling for Bill well after their 7 minutes were up? She was still in there making out with him, not out of pity and not to shut him up. As for being ashamed, I think maybe a little embarrassed that she wanted to kiss him, but not ashamed. Sure she is not going to go back into school on Monday and brag about making out with Bill, but what do you expect. She's not going to change who she is overnight. This is one of my favorite scenes in the show, I'll have to watch it again to see if I can pick up on what you got out of it.

I totally agree with you, zenithon.

Actually, it reminds me of Lewis and Betty from Revenge of the Nerds (and that's one of the reasons that made me open a thread about Bill and Vicky)

Excellent write up of what was going on in that episode! It's a complicated situation on several levels and you'll most likely get something different out of it each time you watch it. Which makes for great viewing and even better thinking.

Agree. I could actually see them sort of being friends after that, even though she obviously wasn't going to date him.

I thought that was the saddest part of the show due to the fact that is was painfully unrealistic.

yea right that *beep* happened to me

i don't think it was unrealistic at all.. back in my young and cute days, i kissed a lot of guys that, while they may not have been Bill-level geeks, were nonetheless shocked that they were getting kissed by a cute girl. happens more often than you'd think.

have you tried that crazy wrap thing?! http://erinleighmckenzie.myitworks.com

you should watch that scene again

The saddest part of the show?

It's cancelation...

We can all agree on that one. It was canceled before it was really getting a chance to reach its audience.

www.facebook.com/schosebone1

twitter.com/JML101582

There's so many sad parts in the show... but there's always one thing that makes me almost cry, everytime i hear it: http://youtu.be/CFsbAuX9P4w

Ya, I can't believe a great show like this gets cancelled when there's so many horrible shows that stay on the air for years and years. It just goes to show you people wouldn't know quality if it slapped them in the face. It's all about ratings if a show doesn't have good ratings, out it goes. I really hate how people are more concerned with ratings and how much money something will make rather than how well done it is. This is especially true about movies. I love movies that normally get limited releases to theaters. They usually have great acting and a unique / original approach to subject matter that mainstream movies rarely attempt. Some good example are, Moonrise Kingdom and Beasts of the Southern Wild (both movies just came out this year).

We all go a little mad sometimes
- Norman Bates

The look on Neal's mum's face when he tells her that his dad is cheating on her. I guess I was sad, I don't know but it gave me goosebumps.

Post deleted

Post deleted

For me it's on the episode, "Smooching and Mooching." When Lindsey is talking to her father about how and why he is so willing to help Nick out. Harold gives his explanation and says, "Nick's dad is a hard man, my father was the same way." Then Lindsey says, "yeah I know the feeling." And Harold says, "Lindsey...trust me.....you don't." (Followed by a pause). That 3-4 seconds where Harold says that, along with the pause wrenches my heart just as much or more than any scene I have ever seen on any show or movie. My father, although I love him more than anything, was a very authoratative, stern figure in my life while I was growing up and that scene just hits home on a very deep level to me.

http://ricoswaff.com/

Yea she was one of those spoiled brats that think she knows the hard life. My father was a drill sergeant so you can imagine how fun that was growing up.But I have a better relationship with my parents know that I'm an adult. I think what some parents and children fail to understand is that your parents have to be a parent while you're growing up not your best friend. And I think that is the problem with the current generation. Not enough parenting and too much trying to be their friend.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.

I found Jean's scenes quite sad. Because she was the one left hanging on being a good wife and a cool mother. Tricks or Treats was the saddest episode.

There's something about that scene when Nick realizes that he's not cut out as a drummer in the big leagues that always breaks my heart every time I watch it.

also: the whole Sam-Cindy relationship where you root for them for practically the entire series and it only took one episode for it to all come crashing down. That was rough stuff. I felt bad for both of them (even though Cindy's got some of that crazy eyes going on.)

"compromises are for lesser souls. die werewolf zombie!"

sooo many touching scenes

- last episode where nick talks to lindsay just before he's about to dance in the contest and tells her he's over her but clearly he's dying inside

- the last scene of the whole series with lindsay going to the grateful dead concert and Ripple playing in the background

- the episode where Alan the bully puts a peanut in Bills sandwich and they invite him to the sci-fi convention but he still cant go at the end

favorite show ever

Yes, the last ever scene always makes me so sad. The classic growing up pains. It probably wouldn't have matter what choice she made, it still would have been sad. That's around the age where for the first time in your life you can actually start making decisions which will impact the rest of your life. And it's not just you CAN, it's that you HAVE TO make these decisions. Just tears my heart sometimes.

I really wish there was a second season. I really wonder what happened to them all sometimes (I know it's not real!).

So many others, but that one especially.

All those and a few more:
1. The looks on Kim and Daniel's faces she he goes to her house on Noshing and Moshing. You can see the rawness of their relationship. Kim hugs him with such understanding of the "deep down" Daniel.
2. When Sam finds out that Neil's dad is cheating and his dad buys him the Atari that he wanted. I tear up every time watching Sam be so thankful for the "nerdiness" of his dad.
3. When Lindsey rides away on that van... It kills me.

When Lindsay goes to Kim's house for the first time. Man, one little scene gives all the explanation you need to understand the source of one kid's chronic anger. While part of the time Kim is a jerk to Lindsay and Daniel, I still felt sorry for her.

The scene when they went to the laser show and "Free Bird" was playing. Nick and Lindsay were sitting apart and everyone around them was making out. And he said something like "I'd be lying if I said this didn't hurt." Broke my heart.

And when Millie's dog died. She was always the comic relief, but I felt so bad for her.

A lot of great moments listed in this thread, but one I thought I had to mention was when Mom and Dad are reading Lindsay's diary. I know they are jerks for doing that, but hearing the Mom read Lindsay's teenage perception of them was kind of rough.

Yes!! I was coming here to post the same thing. I don't think it hit Harold the way it did Jean, though, and her attempts to overcome Lindsay's perception - only to be ridiculed at the dinner table - were painful.

Of course this culminated in the Weirs getting their freak on, but still.

The one that always stands out for me is Bill making his after school snack and laughing while watching TV. On paper there's nothing wrong with it, but the way it's filmed is heartbreaking. That's the highlight of his day.

Also when Nick realizes he isn't a talented drummer. So cringeworthy.

Yes, both of those made me tear up.
It just hits you right there.
I know these are just tv characters, but I wanted to give them both a huge hug!

The saddest scene for me is actually quite subtle from my favorite episode, "Tricks and Treats" (the whole episode is kind of sad when you think about it). I'm referring to the final scene, when Sam finally gives in to read "Crime and Punishment" before going to bed. His father comes in to see if he's ok, and tells him not to stay up late. Its such a powerful scene because it demonstrates how difficult it is to cling to childhood at that age, and there comes a point where people have to relent and become a grown-up. The whole episode Sam was trying to act like a kid and everything was blowing up in his face. A happier ending would have been if he had been shown rereading the novelization of "Star Wars".

In "Looks and Books" at the very end when Lindsey leaves Millie's party and they begin playing Supertramp's Long Way Home. Right before the show ends when everyone is jumping in the car she (Lindsey) gives a melancholy look. On the DVD the director told her that at that moment she knows that this is all fleeting and a moment in time. For me it is the best moment on TV ever. I cannot explain it but it just gets me.

It begins at 3:37

http://youtu.be/0hGsFY80LdI

The entirety of Lindsay's story in 'Books and Looks'. Seeing her cry just tore me up inside.

An honourable mention to Bill's refusal to accept that Fredricks is dating his mum.

And all of a sudden nobody can think of anything to say

I think the saddest part for me was the last episode, Discos and Dragons where Lindsay and Nick are talking at the roller rink. He tells her he's quit smoking weed and you can see the pain in her eyes after that, saying "Seems like you're having more fun with her than you did with me" and him agreeing, even though he didn't mean it. Mostly because we never got to see what would have happened after that episode which makes it sadder for me.

"The scene when they went to the laser show and "Free Bird" was playing. Nick and Lindsay were sitting apart and everyone around them was making out. And he said something like "I'd be lying if I said this didn't hurt." Broke my heart. "

This scene ^ especially. I just felt awful for Nick throughout the series, didn't have any resolution with his character.

Not sure about sad. But as far as bitter sweet goes I really like the ending of the geeks' story in "Carded and Discarded". Where they let their new friend go sit with the popular kids, knowing that she won't be back.