I Need To Know : I have been a member of this site since 2000

I have been a member of this site since 2000

I have been a member of IMDb message boards since January 2000, when i was still a young man. I've switched many accounts for various reasons since then, but I grew up with this message board, talking to strangers about movies and finding a gateway to the social exclusion that I had to deal with in my early teenage years.

It is a disgrace, for a website to use it's users to get this big, and then completely throw them off like garbage. Shame, shame, and only shame on IMDb for being this inconsiderate. I am rendered speechless by their utter negligence in what their users appreciated most in their site.

Re: I have been a member of this site since 2000

2001 for me and yeah, maybe 4 different accounts over the years. I'm reminded of people showing up to work after being employed for years only to find the doors locked after their boss skipped town. One highlight of an otherwise dreary year was one movie board playing a game that went on for months on end. By the time I was done, I felt like I knew these people - without ever seeing or talking to them.

I grew up with this message board, talking to strangers about movies and finding a gateway to the social exclusion that I had to deal with in my early teenage years.

AdamGoMovies,

this is not the first & it will not be the last website that offers a movie discussion forum.
Some people suggested others & some users now want to create their own version.
You will have plenty of opportunity to discuss with others what you like.
IMDB was never about that.

It's a database.
It's designed as a film lexicon, the biggest ever.
The discussion groups were never the goal.

They were great fun sometimes (and sometimes stupid, hateful, brutal, rude & nasty),
but you can get the same experience somewhere else, too.

It is a disgrace, for a website to use it's users to get this big, and then completely throw them off like garbage.

This is a common misconception about IMDB and how it works.
Did YOU make it big ?

How?
By discussing movies with strangers ?
That's mostly entertainment value, but it doesn't help the site to grow,
because about 95% of the chatters never contribute any data to the database.

We data contributors made this site great.
We did it because we love movies and would like to see IMDB get better.
Only by discussing movies with strangers, that doesn't happen.
You need to add correct data to the database to make IMDB grow.
Did you ever do that ?

I hope, you'll see, that your reaction, as much as I understand it, is childish & selfish.
IMDB owes you nothing.

But if it gave you a lot of joy in the past, you should be positive about that and maybe
it inspired you.

Maybe you even like to contribute some day ?

IMDB is not over yet.
It's just beginning.
It's going to the next level & it will be even more fun in the future.

You should stay around

One highlight of an otherwise dreary year was one movie board playing a game that went on for months on end. By the time I was done, I felt like I knew these people - without ever seeing or talking to them.

Daverindone,

that's great.
I guess it was much fun.

But why do you get bitter now ?
You can and will have something like that at other sites, too.

And if you check out IMDB in a few month,
you might discover that it's better than ever before.

Don't be sad or bitter.
It all will be fine.

You need to add correct data to the database to make IMDB grow.
Did you ever do that ?
I'm not the OP, but to answer that question: Yes, I have done that. For several titles that miss a lot of data because they aren't big, popular Hollywood movies with a lot of contributors who have seen them. But it's the messageboards that attracted me to this site in the first place and that stimulate me to keep coming here. It's also the interaction on messageboards that gives me an insight which specific data (e.g. keywords, trivia or FAQ entries) are particularly useful or helpful for readers to be added/submitted to the database.

______

it's the messageboards that attracted me to this site in the first place and that stimulate me to keep coming here. It's also the interaction on messageboards that gives me an insight which specific data (e.g. keywords, trivia or FAQ entries) are useful or helpful for readers to be added/submitted to the database.

Thank you for contributing.
(Seriously, I mean it: It's shocking to me that only a few 1000 people did so.)

You have a point here.

But there will still be movie discussion boards on the net.

You can get your inspiration there & come back and contribute.

Problem solved?

But there will still be movie discussion boards on the net.

You can get your inspiration there & come back and contribute.
Are you freakin' serious? I don't have an account on other movie discussion boards. But even if I had, why would I still want to contribute to IMDb instead of just to those other websites that give me my inspiration?

(By the way, I don't have Facebook/Twitter/Snapchat/Instagram/etc. accounts, by conscious choice. So if forums require me to sign up with such an account, then I can't and won't signup.)

______

All I can say is, ditto in regard to the accounts you speak of. I don't have, nor want an account like that. That's part of the problem today, and not many seem to understand that. Those kinds of accounts don't add much value to anything. Whereas the message boards here added value to many people for varying reasons. Antiquated or not, these boards truly serve a purpose.

People need to connect with other people. Not everyone can get out of the house for one reason or another. Others, while being able to get out of the house might still feel safer connecting with people online on boards like this.

Whatever the reason, these boards allowed people to connect with each other. Are negative people with poor intentions going to also be drawn to these boards to disrupt people's conversations? Sure, but does that have to be the reason to shut these boards down? No. And as I've said in other threads, I'm suspicious on this point. I don't think this is the reason that the boards are really being shut down. I do think though, that this is the EXCUSE being used as the reason for the boards being shut down.

Trolls have been around since the Internet was created. If boards were going to be shut down for that alone, these message boards would have been shut down a long time ago. There's something else going on I feel that the people in charge here don't want known. What that reason is, is anyone's guess.

And to the person who said that IMDB was not created for the Message Boards, so what? What does that matter. The Message Boards became an integral part of the reason for their coming here, so intended or not, they're important now. Telling people they can go elsewhere is just being dismissive of their feelings. You can go elsewhere to look up movie information or contribute to movies and shows. But do you really want to? Maybe, maybe not. But failing to be compassionate towards others' feelings about the message boards is a big reason I have such problems with all the other accounts that the person above me listed. It's soulless, surface only "interactions." People came here to connect on some level. Now that's being taken away. And sure, maybe there's other message boards out there, but it is unlikely to be with the same people that everyone met here. Maybe a few here and there, but not everyone will go to the exact same board as everyone else. People are being forced to scatter now that IMDB is shutting down.

You call people wanting these boards to remain open, childish and selfish, but you're comments make you sound childish by shrugging off people's feelings about this place and telling them it's "easy" to find other places to go. That's how you feel. That isn't how others feel, and they have every right to feel angry, hurt, betrayed, whatever. Frankly, if anyone is truly being childish and selfish, it's IMDB for closing the boards down for no true reason.

EMOTICONS ARE BACK! YAY!

There's something else going on I feel that the people in charge here don't want known. What that reason is, is anyone's guess.
Exactly! (This^^^)

I've run into that naples person before on other boards. She's a kill-joy, for sure.

IMDB has been attacking its own supporters almost from the beginning. If trolls were the real reason then every other message board across the world would be shutting down too.

That's a good question for 'naples': if trolls are so 'bad' then how are all the other boards managing to stay active?

I agree with your red sentence totally. There's a piece of the equation we're not privy to.

I also have added data all over the place. So those who say that the forum users are not the core, with all due respect: stuff it.

You know how much I will contribute now? Little or nothing. Why? Because I have no need to come here but to consume info briefly. Who's in this? Oh yeah. Close tab.

If I am an engaged user, I am engaged all over and contribute to the site. Not just IMDB. This is a known thing everywhere. Even FB has the normal ratio where most contributions are from this 1% and the 99% consume mostly.

No one still in business throws away their core contributors. No one still in business is stupid enough to annoy the small, doesn't-consume-ads group that makes the content for their service.

This is all well known stuff. The standard quarterly-growth model of business where the cafeteria becomes a profit center causes people to be shortsighted and stupid. Expensive to update the software? Not enough revenue? Shut it down. Oh, second order effects? Never heard of those.

In short, I agree with you, yurenchu, entirely. I disagree with all the people who think the forum users are just a drain. They do not understand how social media actually works.

shoobe01-1,

I understand your argument, but you are wrong.

No one still in business throws away their core contributors. No one still in business is stupid enough to annoy the small, doesn't-consume-ads group that makes the content for their service.

IMDB doesn't do that.

There are a few 1000 loyal contributors - including me - and we provide the data growth.

You nearly never contributed any data to the database:

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur9230017/

Even if your 11 years-chatting activity seemed important to you & some users,

it wasn't important for IMDB.

You need to accept, what IMDB really is:

It's a film lexicon.

The biggest ever.

That's the "core competency" as Colin called it.

Oh, it's about loyalty not content. Not long tails and getting info about everything, but just movies you care about. Got it. Only if you contribute enough and to the right films do your contributions count.

That's actually pretty much my point. And I've been doing this internet thing since before it was called that. A lot of orgs have screwed their user base in favor of a tiny cadre who was left behind to talk about how happy they were to be free of the screaming masses, until they realized there was no one else around.

Enjoy your safe, empty space.

Oh, it's about loyalty not content.

No, it's about content first.

The content comes from the IMDB staff & a few 1000 contributors like me,

who like to provide data to the movies they like or find interesting.

Only if you contribute enough and to the right films do your contributions count.

Many users simply don't understand what a real 'contribution' is, I think.

It's not chatting.

It's adding hard, correct data to the database.

The discussion forums were fun sometimes, but they didn't help most of the time.

Because most of the chatters never contributed anything.

The real contributors are knowledgeable about film & have a lot of sources.

They don't really need the boards.

But there will be other & better features in the near future.

Stay around & you'll see.

Have a nice day

I think you underestimate how important the forums are and overestimate what you feel were your 'contributions' to the site were. Personally I dont care about pictures of actors/actresses that I can goggle or their bios which I can find other places. I often dont read much if anything about a movie until I see it because often too much is given away. For me after I watch something it is coming on and then reading others peoples take on it. If there is something I missed or if others saw it the same as I did. There are a few guilty pleasure shows that I have only continued to watch because the others that watch make it fun with their comments, may while live viewing. I love to read the threads where people rec obscure movies, mostly horror and sometimes things that arent even listed on IMDB. I have learned far more about movies and tv from user board threads than I have from stuff uploaded to the site itself.

You have to understand that you dont get to decide what is important and has value for other people just like others cant for you. Say IMDB decided all you have put up on the site is of no real value and decided to do away with it? Would you feel it was ok for us to tell you that you are wrong in your feelings and only what we value is of importance?

My watchlist has almost 1000 movies on it and many of those are recs from board members. Many of the over 4500 movies I have watched and rated are things I wouldnt have heard of if not for communication with other users. Users being able to interact allows them to be able to rec many lesser known and indie movies which HELPS. I know I have personally in my over 11 yrs on the site rec a lot of movies with less that 50 votes that many wouldnt have heard of otherwise. Big budget hollywood movies would do fine even if IMDB shut down as a whole, they really dont need any more recs or advertising.

Yes IMDB is great to look something up when you know what you are looking for but when you are looking for lesser known things and rec you have to know what you are looking for or have someone pointing you in the right direction which is all member driven. No one is going to care about all the info that is up for a movie that they dont even know exists and the only ones we all know about all the hollywood blockbusters that we can get the same info that is listed here a number of different places.

What separated IMDB from those other places where we can get the same content on popular movies/tv was being able to interact. Now that we are losing that this site will just be another cookie cutter site that doesnt hold as much value for many of us and if it still holds the same value for you then that is great but remember how the site treated the things we value and realize the things you value about it might one day be treated in the same way. If that day ever comes there will be no forum and other users around to defend it because many will be gone and even those that arent will no longer have a voice here.

SomebodyWicked,

I contributed about 10.000 times more than you.
That's a fact.

You never contributed anything to the IMDB database, except your personal movie ratings:
http://www.imdb.com/user/ur8767993/

I think you underestimate how important the forums are and overestimate what you feel were your 'contributions' to the site were.

Fact is, that most contributors don't need the boards to contribute.

The contributors have many sources available & some of them are experts.

The boards are mostly for fun & the users, who never contribute.

Personally I dont care about pictures of actors/actresses that I can goggle or their bios which I can find other places.

I don't write bios, but they are useful.

The pictures are actually VERY valuable, because they contain lots of information about the film & its production.

And you don't need to speak/understand English to understand the images.

The images are much more important than most of the rather forgettable comments on the message boards.

They make IMDB attractive & more inclusive for non-English-speaking audiences.

F.e. check out the "Snowden" (2016) gallery:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3774114/mediaviewer/rm549850624

Therefore, YOU overestimate the value of your "message board comments contribution", my friend !

But if they are as important to you as you say, you should make copies of them,

before everything is deleted.

Take care

shoobe01-1 wrote 15 movie review comments, 10 of which are for quite obscure titles that have received less than 100 IMDb review comments. If a lot more users did the same thing, then a lot more movie pages on IMDb would have some helpful data (beyond the basic data such as title, year, country, director) that help a reader to form an idea about a movie before watching it.

Plenty of times, I've come to IMDb to find out what an (obscure) movie is about, only to find out that the title doesn't have any reviews or even a summary here. But also plenty of times, I find that a movie's IMDb page has very little data (e.g. no keywords, little or no plot synopsis) but that there are fortunately a handful of review comments and/or messageboard posts that give at least some indication about what I can expect from a movie. So I'm very grateful to the many users like shoobe01-1 who took the time and effort to write a comment (however small) for an obscure movie that they have seen.

One does not have to be a "big contributor" to be a valuable contributor. The point of this internet database is that we each can contribute a little, which together forms a lot -- or at least that was what I thought.

______

One does not have to be a "big contributor" to be a valuable contributor. The point of this internet database is that we each contribute a little, which together forms a lot -- or at least that was what I thought.

I totally agree.
This is not a competition.
Everybody should simply contribute what he loves to contribute.
The things you know well.

shoobe10-1 wrote 15 movie review comments, 10 of which are for quite obscure titles that have received less than 100 IMDb review comments. If a lot more users did the same thing, then a lot more movie pages on IMDb would have some helpful data (beyond the basic data such as title, year, country, director) that help a reader to form an idea about a movie before watching it.

I agree: The reviews, especially for rare titles, are helpful.
They count as contributions.
And they will not be deleted.

So, if you would like to preserve one of your more interesting comments from the message boards,
you could simply make a 'review' out of it.

By doing this, your thoughts will not get lost & stay available.

So long, I must go now.

Don't be sad, it will all turn out better than before ;-)

this is not the first & it will not be the last website that offers a movie discussion forum.

Well in a way so far it is, since every movie and actor has it's own forum. If you post everything under a category like horror, comedy etc. the forum will become very confusing with all different titles soon and you will be busy the whole day using the search function. It is an easy way to ask about soundtrack (if it's not listed on the site), ask for scenes or plot twists you didn't understand, ask for similiar movies, ask how a movie ended if you missed it etc. Or just read other peoples opinions. It is really convenient.

They could delete redundant (i.e. "Is he gay? or "Looks like?" or other off topic) threads and leave the ones that have useful information at least and then close it for new topics. But delete everything is just meh ...

For them closing the message boards seems like a virtual suicide to me. Well if that's what they want, to lose 90% of the people that use this site ... I'm a member for 14 years too and Imo it makes just no sense.

----
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Yes, it is a disgrace. I'm very disappointed. The message board is very helpful for us second language people. I always could ask and got an answer/opinion if some movie lines are not clear or require an explanation or interpretation.
Again, very disappointed.

The message board is very helpful for us second language people.
... which is quite a lot of people when you consider that everybody has languages that he doesn't speak as a native language. For example, the recent movie Arrival (2016) (which is mostly in English language, by the way) contained a certain dialogue line in Chinese that wasn't translated by onscreen subtitles, and hence several users have asked about that line on that movie's messageboard. I've also encountered several messageboard threads where users asked about the meaning of the title of a foreign language movie. Often, there's more to those answers than just a literal translation; but those insights don't come to the surface until after there's been some discussion.

______

I'm another January 2000 user and although I've enjoyed interacting on the boards over the years, their disappearance is not going to have a major impact on my life. They were always a "killing time" type of entertainment.

\\|//          (o o)------oOOo-(_)-oOOo------

edit:typo

@Jimmythegreek

For me it's not really about losing the people on this site (with all due respect to all the guys and girls here who make this site what it is) more than the fact that they are taking away an opportunity for people to indulge mutually in a past time activity that they are passionate about such as movies or TV Shows. I never met or know anyone personally from IMDb.

I have a family now, and naturally don't spend most my time on IMDb, but I will always be grateful of these boards and the anonymous people behind it who I never found out who they were, in giving me conversation and making me feel part of a group. I can only wonder why that is being taken away from someone who might be the way I was, today.

When i first joined this website, virtually no one I knew in person knew what it was. An above commenter took pride in having contributed with Trivia&Data; but thousands if not millions of people were drawn to this site by the message boards and subsequently had the chance to contribute in those areas for other people to read.

IMDb has made the weirdest choice since it was created, and i repeat, it is a disgrace that they are this inconsiderate of their followers. I intend on not using this website anymore, for the first time in 17 years.

I've been a member for 13 years! I always thought it was funny finding my posts and lists on google searches :D

I will miss the message boards actually. Yes, the majority of people who post these days are garbage, but what site doesn't have garbage people now? None, that's what! Twitter? Garbage. Tumblr? Garbage. Facebook? A planet-sized garbage dump!

I wish they would leave some of the main boards, but I'll be okay without the message boards, though. There's still Reddit (Garbage!).

I remember when they had the "next thread" button.

Not surprised its closing the message boards, there's more hatred, abuse and trolling than anything else

Yes, it's sad that some people use this site for chatting purposes only. Over time it developed into full-blown trolling. Why does a site about movies even have a politics board? That's like an open invitation to all the internet trolls to come and visit. (and they did)

I personally used forums a lot, mostly to see what other people think about some unclear moments in movies and movies in general. It helped a lot because I'm not american or native speaker and some of the nuances were lost to me, but reading about those on boards helped to clear things up. I never visited them before I watched the movie because trolls really like to spoil the movie for everyone. But after watching the movie, boards were really helpful. At least for me.

I also really liked the threads "recommend similar movies", those gave me some great ideas what to watch.

One more thing. Have you guys ever noticed the discrepancy between User Review ratings and opinions on Board? Especially for some smaller movies which don't get many ratings.

Without a board for individual movies, we'll never know if User Reviews are genuine or if all the friends and members of director's family gave movie a 10 and tricked everyone to think the movie is good, when actually it's not.

I feel your pain... When websites can no longer accept criticism and judge it a bad business model with more trouble than it is worth, then we are just treated as eyeballs and monetized at will. I always thought IMDB was different along with Wikipedia where we were able to shape the content and in this case keep old movies alive and MORE IMPORTANTLY have a place for obscure and unknown little gems. It shows how little respect the editors have for their viewers and this site will become full of super hero crap movies that have been polluting the Hollywood scene for way too long.

to the editors: The world is going more and more to the little phone in your pocket.

Movie LOVERS and GOERS are an old breed that NEEDS to be NURTURED, it helps the CREATIVES to have a sense of what is out there without relying on focus groups brought together by college kids... if the community wants to talk about movies, the thread from an IMDB link is the perfect way. AT LEAST let an OUTSIDE link be AVAILABLE.
that is a right that we should have for ALL TIME.

I am extremely disappointed by the decision of the editors and it wouldn't take much for me to jump ship and join a site that has more integrity.

Couldn't agree with you more. IMBD states their message boards continue to be utilized by a "small but passionate community of IMDb users"...utter nonsense. i read the boards extensively and find them very interesting, yet i rarely comment myself. IMBD offers some different options for posting and commenting at fbook and pinterest, etc but that will not be the same as going to a specific movie with its own board. What a load of horse dookie we are being fed. It seems that more and more these days you find people and entities who would have you believe that they thrive on free speech and public forum, but then when others views do not echo their own or take a course that they're uncomfortable with, they are quick to shut things down.

Well it isn't the end of the world. People are going to move on to other things or find ways chatting again. Even petitions won't save it.

Join IMDB's new home:
http://www.cinematicworld.freeforums.net/

We need you true IMDbers over at TheMovieDatabase. It's our only hope.

In lieu of the closure of the message boards. Sign up to TMDb.
https://www.themoviedb.org/talk