I Need To Know : Help! Which Gerard Depardieu movie is this?

Help! Which Gerard Depardieu movie is this?

Many years back I saw part of this Gerard Depardieu film which I'm pretty sure was french. In it Gerard Depardieu is rowing a boat with another woman in the boat. The woman asks Gerard Depardieu's character if she can call him Emile. He says yes and she calls him Emile.

Edit: I forgot to mention, it is a period piece (set in old times like 1800's). I also checked his imdb page and its not the one in which his character name is listed as "Emile." It was the nickname that the woman in the boat wanted to give him, maybe because he reminded her of someone else?

I don't know which movie this is and I didn't even understand the language. Please someone help me before the boards close down! Thanks.

Re: Help! Which Gerard Depardieu movie is this?

I forgot to mention, it is a period piece (set in old times like 1800's). I also checked his imdb page and its not the one in which his character name is listed as "Emile." It was the nickname that the woman in the boat wanted to give him, maybe because he reminded her of someone else?

My guess, based on his character's name, City of Ghosts (2002)

I forgot to mention, it is a period piece (set in old times like 1800's). I also checked his imdb page and its not the one in which his character name is listed as "Emile." It was the nickname that the woman in the boat wanted to give him, maybe because he reminded her of someone else?