American Beauty : Main character is a loathsome creep

Main character is a loathsome creep

I used to love this as a kid, believe it or not. The characters were so lively in a sitcom-y way, but the addition of tits and profanity made it a little naughty- like an HBO original. I'm reading the script now, and I never realized what a repugnant little *beep* Lester is. So pompous, and smug about how enlightened he's become! That's what happens when you embrace your inner pedophile, I guess. As unsympathetic as Carolyn is, he is absolutely largely at fault for the dissolution of their marriage.

I don't know, I guess this is still a good movie, but God, I hate all of the characters.

Re: Main character is a loathsome creep

So pompous, and smug about how enlightened he's become

---

Translation:

You are now "grown up" [but missed your wild oats] and heading down the same "coma" path as Lester did but too lazy to stop it, so like a good Ultimus americanis you simply get angry and try to "shoot the messenger".

Welcome to the Beauty

http://www.kindleflippages.com/ablog/

"Ultimus Americus"

And that is precisely what this pile of *beep* is; unthinking, stereotyping idiocy for brainless narcissists who desperately need to convince themselves that they're smarter than everyone else for being completely airheaded and detached from reality.

I thought this was overrated a decade ago. Good, but over the top. Overacted by Bening. Now? It all makes more sense.

Lester isn't perfect, and he isn't meant to be. He *did* realize sleeping with Angela was a terrible idea. He knew he wasn't a great father. But he did try to improve many parts of his life.

Carolyn? Cheated on Lester. Lester attempts to be decent to her, recalling their early days...and she responds by freaking out over the possibility of wine being spilled on the couch. She. Slaps. Her. Daughter. The problem with Carolyn is that she tried so hard to APPEAR perfect and normal, that she ends up being a poison to everyone. (Ex: She quotes Buddy Kane over and over, "In order to be successful, one must project an image of success at all times." Carolyn needs to see a shrink, not pretend she's doing fine. She had the neighbors' tree removed. She has the perfect garden; she tends to it ten times more than her family relationship.

Carolyn made things worse every time she tried. Zero awareness of other people. Watch her try to sell the house again. She has no idea how to truly interact with anyone.

Lester showed potential for learning from mistakes made. By the time of his death, he seemed to hold no grudges. His daughter was in love. He was happy.

In the end, Carolyn starts as a mess and ends as a mess. Lester goes from clinically depressed...to happy. Isn't that the portion of the American Dream that eludes many people? Happiness?

I thought this was overrated a decade ago.
I just flashed on a popular parody, of the kid calling the windy plastic bag beautiful. That was sort of the symbol of being pretentious. Now? I guess few people would get it.

That was sort of the symbol of being pretentious.

---

It's the word pretentious that was pretentious and just now you are Carefully Taught by all those MS B type schoolteachers to say iconic.

For word of the month see Night's The Happening with the math[s] teacher

That was sort of the symbol of being pretentious.

---

It's the word pretentious that was pretentious and just now you are Carefully Taught by all those MS B type schoolteachers to say iconic.

WHAT?

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

No, you're just a self-loving idiot with tertible taste.

Uh, that idiotic floating bag garbage was the movie being incredibly pretentious l, not making some deep and insightful commentary on such.

eqdealerguy:

Reading this post of yours, I recalled a favorite novel of mine: 'Jernigan' by David Gates.
Underrated, sadly unknown, written by a guy whose day job was an arts & entertainment critic.
The narrator, Pete Jernigan, is a horrible person but he knows he is a horrible person, berating himself but unable to quit, as he goes on about his life. Talk about self-loathing... but somehow still compelling.
If you dislike obscure literary references you might not like it. But from what you write here, I think you might get a kick out of it.

Example:
"I guess it's a Catch-22"
Obnoxious guy (Jernigan himself): Something Happened.
"How did you know???"

This is one of the less-obscure. I'm sure I have not caught them all, and most likely never will, but it makes it all the more fun to re-read once in a while. (Especially since I was 16 when I first read the thing. I now have mixed feelings about giving this book to a teenager) You don't have to get the refs to appreciate the book but it does add to the enjoyment - bitingly satiric.

David Gates (not the musician). Jernigan, the novel. Remember!! I think it was first published in 1991. I wish more people knew this book. People who like American Beauty would like this.

This strange, petty hatred for men who like younger women is a very new phenomenon, created by SJWs to further condemn male sexuality as evil. We have 19 year old lesbians who are fighting for the ability to date their 16 year old girlfriends. That's ok but not when it's a male in love with a female. I mean, 20 years ago, everyone was totally accepting of old men marrying really young women.

And Lester is a human being. He is not a fcking robot, programmable to respond to everyone and everything, one way and one way only. And I wouldn't have him any other way. Who wants to watch a character that is morally perfect?? That sounds boring as hell to me.

@lukelovesfilm28

Jesus Christ, you're gross.

There's nothing wrong with old men marry young women if both parties are of consent. Forcing women into young marriage b/c they have no other choice is not progress.

You sound like you have no brain, just a cock to think with. Lester isn't 19--he's 45, and the girl he changes his whole life to *beep* is a messed up girl his kid's age.

With so many movies establishing their characters as role models and Mary Sues, it's important to understand that sometimes movies want to make flawed characters so the viewer can relate to their flaws. This is similar to what F Scott Fitzgerald did with The Great Gatsby.

hiitsmewutsup-953-300236 wrote:

"I used to love this as a kid, believe it or not. The characters were so lively in a sitcom-y way, but the addition of tits and profanity made it a little naughty- like an HBO original. I'm reading the script now, and I never realized what a repugnant little *beep* Lester is. So pompous, and smug about how enlightened he's become! That's what happens when you embrace your inner pedophile, I guess. As unsympathetic as Carolyn is, he is absolutely largely at fault for the dissolution of their marriage."

You just don't get it. You sound just as messed up as Carolyn and Jane. They were both the reasons for Lester's demise. At least Lester realized that making love to Angela was wrong and acted more like a father figure to her, something that Jane wouldn't allow her dad to do with her. Lester had the misfortune to live with an unloving family.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Well, I turn 42 (same age as Lester) in a couple of months and at the time the film came out I was what 26? Well at 26 I was blown away by the movie because I could see how true it was. However, back then I was still happily married and back then I didn't see Carolyn at all in my wife (Or Styler from Breaking Bad).

The main character is a person caught in the currents of history. Men were not made to be broken and flabby working at desks (but we can't all be construction workers addicted to pain killers or the Marlboro man dying of cancer now can we?)

Lester was probably given the name Lester because it's like Hustler's character "Chester the Molester" but Lester is not a perv, he is just a regular guy having a hard time in life. Scientists are now proving that people go through various developmental periods - they now say (1) Adolescence (2) teens and 20s (3) 40s and (4) 70s where they grow and change.

Lester just is going through a self-reflective period that Carl Jung saw in his patients but he doesn't have anyone to help him figure it out so he struggles, but in the end he makes the right decision.

What hump?

"Styler"

Free Styler 2k16!

Yeah, the addition of autocorrect (autof0kk) to my web browser has been fun.

What hump?

"caught in the current of history"
"Carl Jung"

Just more evidence that this is a movie for stupid people who want to pretend they're intelligent.

*beep* Lester IS a *beep* pedophile. Get over it. And quit blaming WOMEN for his problems. His problems are his own and he can't own up to it because the truth is, he's a little BOY in a man's body. And given the entitlement afforded to straight, white men, he thinks that he SHOULD own whatsername's body, so he becomes his own chickenhawk. I'm GLAD he eats it in the movie. Men like that NEED to "walk toward the light", so to speak. And NO, old men marrying younger women is NOT totally ok.....they see it as their privilege. They need to grow the *beep* up.

All the xharacters in this movie are laughable, unbelievable caricatures and cliches. This movie is nothing else than the Hollywood Regressive Elite looking down their collective noses at the middle class, or at least at some hysterically vilifying cartoon thereof.

What the OP doesn´t understand is what the character is going through and how this propels his evolution until the end of the movie. Someone already pointed out that evolution, so I`ll just talk about why him liking the girls does not make him "a creep".

People have sexual urges and fantasies, and his attraction to her is normal within these boundaries. His attraction/adoration towards her is there to show us how much of a loser he is. He has nothing and so when he sees this beautiful sexy girls he´s blinded. He starts pulled towards her, but what you`re trying to ignore is that when he starts changing he absolutely stops. She was a catalist but not much more. This is not the story about him hunting her down, it´s the story of Lester going from a numb husk of a man to a happy one.

The proof of that is what everyone here is telling you: he doesn´t sleep with her. In the end she is attracted to him and his fantasies come true. He still has the hots for her but in spite of that, he backs down because he realizes it´s not right. What creep would do that? You`re not seeing the shades of grey, it´s like you were watching another movie or only the first 20 minutes of it.

You`re condeming the charachter´s sexuality and that´s childlish. People are attracted to others all the time and have fantasies, even if they´re married or if its morally wrong. That´s not only normal but it´s healthy to admit. The creep factor comes in when people act on it and hurt others.

Lester having sex with Angela would've probably hurt her, not because she's 17, but she was clearly vulnerable and confused at that moment, nothing more or less.

She had finally had someone ie Ricky stand up to her and explain the REAL American Beauty about life so it was way past the time she HAD to get laid as she was essentially over the hill and the older she got the more frigid she got and the more "unfriendly" to any possible blokes brave enough to be abused.

Lester_Burnham_Risen, I think your comments are bizarre.

Ricky, OK, is a voyeur with a thousand yard stare. He has, or claims, some interest in art and is cool in a detached kind of way but he utterly unfairly makes out that Jane, obsessed with her boob size and angry all the time, is somehow more authentic than Angela who has been inwardly dying for a long time, not because of personality failings of her own (as Lester says, he'd be lucky to have her, temporarily or permanently) but because the average person unfairly fears her Lolitaish wrapping (perhaps because they sense an emotional intelligence, albeit a naturally scared one, in Angela that society generally prefers to imagine doesn't exist in young girls).

And you want to make some completely paedophilic comment that Angela's over the hill for your tastes? This is American Beauty, not Lolita.

Main character is a loathsome creep

Lester was a very twisted *beep*.

Lester is a creep but you are supposed to understand how he could end up that way and in the end he does the right thing and his fatherly instincts take over -

He is hurt by his wife and daughter and didn't realize he hurt them too - they are all sort of victims of the American Dream and Madison Avenue BS

The film is not about perfect people - it is about real people - Lester is a hero only because he is willing to see how screwed up he is - and try to work through it -

And he pays the intimate price in the end