I Need To Know : Singer in "Sleuth" (1972) [PROBABLY FOREVER AN UNSOLVED MYSTERY]

Re: Singer in "Sleuth" (1972) [PROBABLY FOREVER AN UNSOLVED MYSTERY]

Anyone know where the best place to save this is? I really don't want it all to disappear just like that.

I'll take that as a "no"?

Hiya ... someone posted over on CFB instructions for how to save ... I will try to track it down and get back to you or send him over here ... I remember who posted it but not exactly where.

do not despair help may be on the way.

Thanks so much, Byrdz!

Hey, that's what fiends are for ... or friends, too !

I did enjoy our quest for Phones not Phoning and the Sleuthing for Sleuth. Shall miss encounters such as those.

14 days more ... 😖

Go to the first page of the thread and put it in nest mode.

Then hover the cursor over a white space- any clear space on the top of the page will do. Right click the mouse and click "save as."

You'll have to do similarly for each page and don't forget to manually add a page number to the file name when you save it.

It ain't easy being green, or anything else, other than to be me

Aha .. clore to the rescue .. thanks !

kicks the computer

Hiya ... with my Win 10 right click brings up :

Select all / print / Inspect element / view source

no save as

Re: kicks the computer

I got a "save as" option that I just used.

Try pressing CTRL and S at the same time and see if the save box comes up.

nope .. no "save" ... just "select all" etc. Tried on another 'puter and nada.

I have printed out things I wanted to keep as they occurred and hopefully the rest will be forgotten with time.

Thank you, Clore!

Will do.

You're quite welcome.

possible save solution

This might work... copied from a INtK post:
there might be a better way but meanwhile

two ways besides copy and paste.

1. Save as...
Right click on page
click Save as
choose either Webpage HTML Only or Webpage Complete
name page with a name you choose, it's hard to change later.

option: Webpage HTML Only = will save only the text and not any images. When you click on this link on your computer, all the images will be missing. If the page tries to connect to something (maybe load an ad), it may give some error message. It's not perfect but you can save the text.

option: Webpage Complete = will save all the images and some other types of files. It saves the page and a folder of stuff. You have to keep those two together for the page to display correctly when you open it.

2. Save a screenshot of the page
I use the Chrome extension called Awesome Screenshot and like it alot. This method of saving the page will display the text as part of an entire image. You can't do any highlight, copy and paste of the text later nor can you do a word search within the text.

I have saved quite a lot of webpages and these, as well as copying stuff off into a Word-type document, are the methods I use. Naming the files is crucial (the default names while saving are often too long or not descriptive enough). I do have an old html editing program that lets me go in and clean up some of the pages I save so I don't get error messages or ads trying to load.

I have ZERO idea if this works .. when I right click with Win 10 I see no save as ... so ...

Re: possible save solution

Do you know if I have to do this for every page of this (long) thread, or does one download work for all of them?

With the other way to do it, I remember that he said it was page by page... but it was another method...

I'm sorry that I cannot locate the directions. I PM'd for help but he may be off line just now.

edit
he's just arrived above these posts with the answer !

No worries! I just did it page by page to make sure. I hope it works. Even if it doesn't, though, I copied most of the main points, albeit not word by word, to both the Rotten Tomatoes forum and the forum that someone here set up as a copy of IMDb Message Boards. No bites there yet, but with any luck someone will come by and try to help out. I also wrote up some main points on the Soundtrack Collector board. I really don't want this mystery to vanish into thin air with the end of IMDb.

I felt so sure we'd find something when I e-mailed Graham Hartstone--but, unfortunately, as I wrote, he didn't know the singer. I tried to find anyone from (the now long-gone and long-forgotten) Palomar Pictures, but to no avail. As always, so strange that this singer's identity should be so hard to find. I wondered for a bit if it could be Conal Fowkes, who moved to England in '71 (year before Sleuth) and gave such a wonderful version of Porter's "Let's Fall in Love" for Magic in the Moonlight, but in the end it doesn't seem likely. What I mean is, even if it were done for the movie, I'm sure the singer, who had such a great voice, sang other songs in his life besides those three for the movie!

I just saw your last post. I shall miss these "conversations" as well; I've had a lot of fun, trying to solve movie mysteries. I try my best not to ask "easy" questions to which I could find the solutions myself; I guess that makes it more fun! If I had known earlier this board was closing, I would have posted that mystery of Mom's long before. But I hope we can continue these discussions elsewhere, maybe on that "IMDb 2"...

I will really miss this site. And I know I've said this before, but your advice has been so helpful, Byrdz. Thanks again for everything.

so right click worked for you ?

hmmmmm ...

windows 10 ?

re-hmmmmmmm !

glad it worked for you. The few things I wanted to save in the past I just printed out.

It was fun meeting you.

Yah yah I know I said that already but ... 😉

If I may ask, Byrdz--

Is there another message board you're going to? "IMDb 2" or somethin' like that? I did upload the crux of the Sleuth posts to that one.

The same question applies to WillEd, if you're still out there.

Thanks again!

I won't be going to the other boards... this "discussion board" thing has not really worked out for me.

I hope that you find the solution to the Sleuth question if it is out there to be found.

Could it have been Cole Porter himself? I’ll go ask my Miss MARPLE group. They figured out Weiner Bon Bons for me after wondering 10 years.

A mystery about a myster movie...I woulnd't know myself..

PROFILE PIC:Courtney Thorne-Smith.

Just chiming in to let everyone know that I'm on this forum too, so if anyone here has a solution, I'm always welcome to it!

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Thanks, Nimda!

A few other links that may be of interest to you: http://imdb2.freeforums.net/thread/195/singer-sleuth-unsolvable , http://imdb2.freeforums.net/thread/1408/singer-sleuth , and https://www.imdforums.com/threads/singer-in-sleuth-unsolvable-mystery.523/

They all begin the same, of course, with my replication of the Sleuth posts, but then different forum-members respond to them.

Yes, very true, ten or more years and still no answer. Absolutely amazing.

Post deleted

I don't know if anyone here still happens to be interested, but there's some news on this:

"American Songbook" singer Michael Feinstein and a whole host of Facebook commenters have started to investigate this mystery as well. I think this is the closest we've ever been to finding an answer!

Link here: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1715334931829080&id=304543142908273

Well, wouldn’t y’know it, neither that news or anything else has panned out. Over on IMDb v2.0, I’ve more or less given up, so… At least all these threads I’ve started can stand as a marker for up-and-coming Sleuth singer-searchers! (How’s that for alliteration?)

Maybe someone here is still interested?

We found a promising candidate, David Kernan (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Kernan), but I can’t find an e-mail or any contact information, in fact…

Post deleted

Post deleted

Post deleted

Post deleted

Post deleted

Post deleted