Horror : Col Needham Vs. IMDb user

Col Needham Vs. IMDb user

Here is Col's theories being debunked one by one on the contributer's message board. The board was eventually closed and made read only. Here is the conversation between Col and an imdb user (If you see this, I hope you don't mind me reposting). It's hard not to read this without getting enraged, but credit goes to user golgo-13 for his reasoned arguments. Share and make sure this post does not get deleted.

"It is this migration which is enabling things like data publication within minutes of arrival by the database content team and new interfaces for photo contribution / display."

Yay. Also yawn.

"For 26 years IMDb has been collecting film, TV, celebrity and other information and creating what we hope are powerful and useful services on top of this data for our many different customers."

Yes, collecting info...from users...dedicated users you're turning your back on. Their numbers will dwindle and new blood will no longer be on tap.

"Message boards are quite a different thing than the rest of IMDb..."

As is any element of the site singled out for discussion. Once again, your strengths in information processing are supported by a non-trivial number of users who interact via the message boards.

"For years, our customers have done nothing but complain about how the boards are run, what features are missing and how angry they are about how other users have treated them."

And apparently, your customers were right, since you speak of traffic shrinkage and are now throwing away what many would still say is one of the best features of the site.

It's also worth noting that in my 17+ years here at IMDb, relatively few of your many changes (even beyond message boards) were ever met with much praise.

"We have reached the point where most of our customers do not even know they exist..."

How about highlight them then? The breadth of cinematic knowledge collectively gathered on these message boards is incredible. And invaluable. In the right hands, this should be a money-maker.

"We have lost a non-trivial number of customers due to bad experiences on the boards. This is wrong on so many levels."

You say this as you backstab the message boards (and customers) themselves. So this so-called "tiny share" of IMDb has scared away a "non-trivial number of customers" and the ultimate solution is to remove the feature and lose the majority of the remaining customers? Are we considered trivial customers?

How do you even know this "non-trivial number of customers" left because of their experience on the message boards?

If these problems were so wrong, why didn't you address them at the time?

"...we still see value in the boards."

Obviously not that much. Yet.

"We can better serve customers by getting better at that things at which we are already good -- the core functions of IMDb and building things on top of the real data."

You can't do this and also manage this "tiny share" of IMDb, really? It's quite hard to believe that these message boards are sapping your resources that much, that they're slowing you down from new possibilities. Doesn't jibe.

Also, the things you're good at better get a lot better if you don't want the site to be relegated to just a general movie wiki.

"As we like to say at Amazon, it is still Day One."

This dismisses all progress. You should look into a new saying.

Re: Col Needham Vs. IMDb user

Blame Jeff Bezos - he owns the garbage Washington Post as well. Time to free the internet from monopolies like Google and Amazon, but it won't happen so long as right wing America owns the whole show.

WTF?

"You get talent when you discover the ground of your pain."

Bezos, the Post, Google and Amazon...these are right wing?

They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.

Corporate monopolies are always right wing, however left they claim to be. Concentration of wealth, concentration of power.

Ah, so from a more, uh, academic viewpoint there then? Regardless, in our current reality, these organizations are considered left wing, and their power and influence is considerable.

They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.

In reality they want all your information and to leave you with enough money to service their businesses but not your needs. The perception of them as of the left is a brilliant trick.

"In reality they want all your information and to leave you with enough money to service their businesses but not your needs."

Now that would be quite the trick indeed.

"The perception of them as of the left is a brilliant trick."

Or it's just the way the left functions in this system. Otherwise, the left doesn't even exist.

Your free market has about as much reality as theoretical communism. Humans get in the way.

”Humans get in the way.”

Humans always get in the way.

It is still Day One? Isn't that basically an excuse for continuing to suck? I mean, on day one of something, there are always flaws that you expect to work out. But if you've had a business for 15 years and are saying, "It's still Day One," you are making an excuse for why you still have up-start flaws that should have been worked out by now, and that's not a good thing. I agree. Time to retire that saying.

Spending some time at the Politics board the past 6 months, there are some truly vile racist, misogynistic, ultra right wing trolls spewing hate there constantly. Trolls that make the trolls here look civilized. The normal posters there mostly ignored it but the thin-skinned snowflakes out there were absolutely horrified by it. I wouldn't be surprised that after Needledick and Bezos attention were brought to it, they said we gotta shut this down. Bezos is a billionaire elite and knows this will probably tank the site but why would he care when it can serve as a write-off while silencing free speech and the troublesome lil people. Boycott Amazon.com and maybe make him feel some of the hurt we're experiencing.

Col Needham should had only kept the message board related to entertainment...

This is where he focked-up, by creating boards like religion, politics & soapbox...What in the hell does this have to do with film, actors & tv shows...

I love Debi Sue Voorhees:
http://s32.postimg.org/btmfhyrk3/Debi_Sue_1.gif

That's a valid point there Rick Astley.

You know i'm never gonna give you up Vincent...

I like you poopsie...just not in that way.

I'm not gay...I love boobs...

Mixed messages...I need a bottle of Cabernet but it's too early.

Don't forget sports...

Time is running out...

Haha. I don't mind but I'm not sure why you posted it here.

Haha. I don't mind but I'm not sure why you posted it here.

There is a lot of nonsense going on in the other general boards (which are being closed down or made read only). As a longtime user of this site, I've come to value the contributions of those who post in the horror board in particular. I'm sure any community made up of the majority of these members will survive. All I could say is that even though I didn't interact with everyone here, I've come to respect most of you, and look forward to hearing your thoughts and opinions. The members of this board have also impressed me with their passion and commitment in helping others (including myself), my way of paying things forward is raise a ruckus and encourage the rest of my favorite community to share their thoughts with those who are attempting to silence them (or ignore them in the case of Col Needham).

In the meantime, I hope people realize that your post is far more representative of the IMDb community than the trolls. After doing a quick Google search, it is frustrating to read comments, or even articles themselves, that completely buy into IMDb's press release. I only wish that they could read your post and others like it.

"...in the other general boards (which are being closed down or made read only)."

Which ones?

"After doing a quick Google search, it is frustrating to read comments, or even articles themselves, that completely buy into IMDb's press release."

I've read some. Very frustrating. They seem to be base their entire opinion off a handful of mean posts they've come across.

I love that he got called on his bullsh!t. And that's exactly what it was. He might as well have posted, "Yeah I don't care about the message boards so I can't be bothered with them any longer." I probably would have had more respect for him.

But this business propaganda of "We can better serve our customers by getting better at the things at which we are already good" really irks me. I hope someone slaps the *beep* out of this guy at some point in his life. That is such *beep*

further proof that Col Needham is a twat in sheep's clothing (as if we didn't know that already).

Good job, Golgo my man! I suspect it's all for nought though...

Cheers, peepers. I just did not want to go gentle, and all that.

I don't buy the conspiracy theories. I doubt Hollywood is trying to "silence" anyone. And I don't think politics are involved (either left wing or right wing).

I don't think it is a GOOD business decision though. If you own a bar, your "regulars" are probably only a very small percentage of the people who EVER SET FOOT in the bar, but it would be foolish to kick them all out. And even if some of them NEED to be kicked out because they're antagonizing everyone else, that's still a dumb reason to basically prevent the bar from ever HAVING "regulars" at all.

It doesn't make sense to basically say no one is using the message boards, but a "non-trivial" number that do are being abused or offended. How can you have a non-trivial portion of a trivial number? Also, how do they know that the "250 million people" (that's almost the entire population of the US) on the IMDB don't LOOK at comments on movie sites, but only the reviews, ratings, and cast lists?

"Let be be finale of seem/ The only emperor is the Emperor of Ice Cream"

I note IMDB's twitter account has gained ~10,000 new followers in the last couple of days

http://thehorrorboard.com/ unmoderated IMDB horrorboard replacement

Yeah, most of them are there to protest and IMDB will look at those stats thinking they're move was successful. I get angry at the media write ups about this. Basically, they're all saying it was a long time coming due to the hateful trolls like IMDB is the only place on the planet they inhabit.

Good topic. I saw all that as it happened!

http://www.my-diary.org/users/851091