The Insider : This is why the 90's was the best decade for movies!

Re: This is why the 90's was the best decade for movies!

How about "The Siege"?

Protective, Detective, Electric Eye

*Cough* Saving Private Ryan *Cough*

90s ftw.

edit: As Good As It Gets!

Heat is in my top 10 movies of all time so I can't believe I forgot to list it. It just backs up my claim I guess. And to answer the person who mockingly asked my age I'm 25 and I never said the 70's and 80's weren't good decades for movies. There's nothing wrong with differing opinions.

I know this one is old but when I read this thread I just cracked up ^^Richimorton ftw

the 80's were the new golden age of Hollywood

Starting at A : Alien 1980 in the U.k.
Actual release date in UK: Sep 6, 1979 ^^

When you are so young, it's easy to forget your "favorites." Much more difficult to convince others of your authority. It'll be a few more years before you will be welcome at the adult table.

the usual suspects, magnolia, boogie nights, kevin smith movies, glengarry glen ross, philadelphia, rushmore, as good as it gets, eyes wide shut, etc..

yeah i would definitely say that the 90's was the best time for movies

Terminator 2????

I dunno about comparing decadesbut 1984 was actually the best year for film. Had all kinds of movies http://popwatch.ew.com/2009/07/25/was-1984-the-greatest-year-in-movies-ever/

Even the most primitive society has an innate respect for the insane.

I liked As Good As It gets, but the rest? Nothing here that gets even 3 stars. Magnolia? Pretentious, and extremely dated. Kevin Smith films are entertaining only when you are stoned. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

You are correct.Although I feel dont agree with Shawshank Redemption being the second best ever as surveys suggest,I agree with many of yours.Reservoir Dogs,J.F.K,The Usual Suspects,Goodfellas,Fight Club,Will Hunting,Saving Private Ryan,A.H.X,Fargo,all masterpieces and I will add Magnolia,Boogie Nights,True Romance,The Talented mr.Ripley,Donnie Brasco,Millers Crossing,Falling down,Carlitos Way,Analyze this,Great action in Leon,Face/Off and The Rock(Yes,it was Michael Bay).

Like you said,the list could go on and on and people who say that movies where better in the 60s or 70s,thats their opinion.but some things do evolve and peak and personally,I think cinema did so in the 90s.

The 2000s gave me Gladiator,Sin City,Blood Diamond,The Departed,The Prestige,Memento,G.O.N.Y.,Collateral,TDK,Munich,21 Grams,Running Scared,First LOTR,Zodiac and several others but the 90s will always be my goldmine.Good post.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

There is no best decade. Only blind or ignorant people would say otherwise.

I'm the grim reaper, lardass, and you're my next customer.

But of course there is a best decade. Its not the 90s, though.

"facts are stupid things" - Ronald Reagan

There is no best decade, just like there is no best year or best movie. You've got a favorite decade, maybe, but that doesn't really mean anything.

I'm the grim reaper, lardass, and you're my next customer.

In that case, nothing really means much of anything. And its all a bunch of semantic nitpicking, anyway, this argument.

Post deleted

gotta go with the 70s but yeah the 90s were pretty great. also like the 40s and 50s.

Did you watch this movie right now?
I did, the credits are rolling as I type.

naw i just seen it a bunch of times

I've often said that the 90s was one of the best for film, for many reasons that other people have done pointed out. But then I have to remind myself that every decade has their hit-or-miss affiars. Though I will say that the 90s was the last true decade for originality; before the remaking, er, "rebooting" hoopla started to take place. Not to mention the overreliance of pop culture references that many films are laced with today. Even Django Unchained, a movie I enjoy, has dialog lifted verbatim from Hollywood's past glories (i.e. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly).

Tarantino was stealing in the 90's too.

Even the most primitive society has an innate respect for the insane.

Post deleted

You are correct, matthew-dexter-brewer. I should've said that Tarantino was referencing a quote from a classic film; a film whose dialog is well established within our lexicon and pop culture. I don't fault Tarantino for doing that, as I do enjoy his films.

Best decade for movies in general or best decade for USA movies?
That's a huge difference.

I think this "best of" argument can be used for literally every decade of film, depending on your vantage point. Let's not forgot that films are art and grounds for subjective thinking. It's all opinions. Get off your pedestal.

It may be wrong of them, but they value their lives.

Just looking at the year 1999 alone is enough to realise how brilliant the nineties was for film.

Off the top of my head I can think of the following groundbreaking, innovative and/or universally praised masterworks:

Fight Club
American Beauty
The Insider
Magnolia
The Limey
Three Kings
Being John Malkovich
The Sixth Sense
The Matrix
The Green Mile
The Talented Mr. Ripley
Arlington Road
Eyes Wide Shut
The Blair Witch Project
Bringing Out The Dead
Dogma
Election
Existenz
Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai
Go
A Room For Romeo Brass

Some of these films may not be considered contemporary classics or masterpieces but they were a part of a filmmaking resurgence where creativity, daring and invention became prevalent once again. It's a shame this great year of promise was never truly followed up on in its proceeding decade.

In 1999 we had proper introductions to many talents (some who had been around for a while without notice) such as M. Night Shyamalan, Charlie Kauffman, Alexander Payne, Doug Liman, Shane Meadows, The Wachowski Brothers, Sam Mendes, P.T Anderson, and many others who either became "names" or solidified their reputations as ones to watch.

Most of them, not all, have lived up to their reputations. Some of them have withered but 1999 was still a great year for cinema. American cinema in particular.

Oh my God, you mentioned "eXistenZ", awesome! :D

Nothing beats the 30s to 50s. These decades are the pillars of film-making.

These are the decades of directors like Alfred Hitchcock and Charles Chaplin, and actors like Humphrey Bogart, Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn.

Please don't tarnish the Hollywood golden era due to your lack of film knowledge.

Why so touchy and shrill? Havent noticed any "tarnishing" going on here.

Maybe you are too stupid to notice 'em?

Well, for what its worth, Ive certainly noticed you being a pretentious twit in throes of some bizarre self aggrandizing hysteria.

Trust me, don't sweat it your opinions are not worth much to me.

Au revoir.

Post deleted

Thank you.

Never for the sake of peace and quiet deny your convictions-Dag Hammarskjold

ManYou are so right

I agree.the 90's decade was indeed something special. And what makes it even more special is the fact that most of the best films there are still relevant to today.

Are You Watching Closely? You're an idiot

Post deleted

There is no such thing as a best era for films. Its subjectiv and mostly based on your age. You grow up with Elvis you will always like him better then Metallica. He will feel more real becasue your memories of the period itself becomes associated with the music, films and fasion.

So if you really wanna make the claim that the 90's is the best era you have to start by watshing all the movies from the 30's and up to the 90's. (and you won't) And even if you did, you won't be able to fully take them to heart.. There will be no memmories attached to the images on screen.

Bottom line.. that is just life. 30 years from now kids will go on about how the 2030's was the best era.. ofc, Citizen Cane will still be better then all the films on there list ;)

* My God!.. Its Full of Stars! *

James_Senior
This is why the 90's was the best decade for movies!

Most of my favorite movies happened to be released in the 90's!!

The 70s and the 90s were definitely the best decades in film. The directors who peaked in the seventies were influenced by the influx of international films from the fifties and sixties which were apart of movements such as French New wave and Italian neo-realism. This opened the films up to a whole new range of techniques and tones. Prior too this, we had seen German expressionism from the 20s and 30s (along with Hitchcock' British brand of suspense) creep into American cinema in the forties giving us American film noir. But the fifties, like the eighties were stagnant when it came to new ideas, and a little clumsy while technology was changing to compete with television. Producers were in control and they wanted to please audiences. The auteur role of the director resumed as I'll argue Stanley Kubricks films demonstrated what a genius in control could accomplish, influencing a great many of the 70s films to come.

The eighties returned to that period where we experimented with computers and graphics, but mostly it was crowd pleaders and top billed actors that defined the tone of film. Everyone wanted to have a good time.

As it was in music, film in the 90s began to get gritty again as the technology was mastered and as those influenced by film in the 70s came of age. Many of those who had starts in the 70s were still around and putting out some of their best work.

Much like before, all of this would decline as the latter half of the 2000s saw a return of excessive crowd pleasing spectacles. Very soon though, I hope this will end as the next generation of filmmakers will have grown up on nineties films.

Too settle the argument though, the nineties had the advantage of computer technology that was seamlessly used to push the boundaries of storytelling. The seventies were limited to practical effects such as scaling and rear projection, but these were also seamlessly. Hollywoods output had also increased dramatically over the decades so even though. More movies in general meant that there was better chance that many of them would be great. It also meant that there was a lot of *beep* that came out too. But really I think the two decades are equal when you consider these factors.

The 70s and the 90s were definitely the best decades in film.
Could you please post here some of the movies of the 70s. Thank you.

Great 70's movies:

A Clockwork Orange
Alien
All the President's Men
Annie Hall
Apocalypse Now
Barry Lyndon
Blazing Saddles
Chinatown
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Days of Heaven
Deliverance
Dog Day Afternoon
Fiddler on the Roof
Halloween
Jaws
Life of Brian
Midnight Express
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Network
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Papillon
Patton
Rocky
Serpico
Star Wars
Taxi Driver
The Converstaion
The Deer Hunter
The Exorcist
The French Connection
The Godfather
The Godfather Part II
The Man Who Would Be King
The Sting
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Young Frnakenstein
and many others that I ignored or didn't care to name

Thank you vh8686.
I like:
Dog Day Afternoon
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

I don't have much luck with these famous movies:
Martin Scorsese:
Taxi Driver

Francis Coppola:
Apocalypse Now
The Godfather
The Godfather Part II

1. 90s
2. 70s
3. 80
4. 00s
5. 40.
6. 50s.
7. 60s
8. 30s
9. 10s

I agree 90's was best decade overall. That does not mean it has absolute best movies. In 80's you have Back to the Future, one if not greatest trilogy along with 00's Lord of The Rings.

I still prefer 90's.

You forgot about the 1996 masterpiece Mulitplicity.

But seriously I think acting standards for better. When you see some '80s films people are more likely to be over the top or fake. Filmmakers hit a sweetspot, studios had not gone superhero movie, reboot, remake crazy and were not depending on technology to get people in the theaters.

But also, like evolution filmmakers had more time to learn their craft. Basiscally what I'm trying to say is if you watch a basketball game from the '70s and today there's no comparison. Okay there are some standout players from then but you can't argue the players are better now.

But with that logic the films now should be the best but tee all know the money goes to bankable blockbusters.

Another point is that the '90s were a prosperous time so studios could afford to make $50 million R rated films. The economy has been doing well for a while but We all know Hollywood barely makes these kinds of films now. That's why TV is so good now. People still want to tell good stories.

Raging Bull and The Empire Strikes back belong in the 70s imo, both movies and any others in that year were mostly made the year before (likewise 1970 to the 60s, and 2000 to the 90s, etc). Even if you don't include them, Godfather I and II, The Exorcist, Alien, The French Connections, Jaws, Star Wars, Rocky and Day of the Jackal are all serious contenders for best movie in their respective genres, and that's just a few I can think of.

Dude, that is one gay looking signature.

You forgot about the 1996 masterpiece Mulitplicity.

Hey Doug, I'm spittin' on bugs!!!

Also the quality in writing has left the cinema and migrated to television. Now that tv studios can produce good quality video they no longer have to rely on sitcoms and soap operas to fill their content. Writers get a more steady paycheck and wont have their work sabotaged by the studios.

So we may very well be living in an era of cinematic decline.

It's frightening, and more than a little sad, the lack of appreciation for film history that's being demonstrated in this discussion. Most of you have never seen the classics from earlier eras, and are ill-equipped to make statements like "the 90s was the best decade for films, hands down." It's great that you love films from that decade, and there are certainly some great movies that came from the decade. But there is so much more out there that most of you, I'd wager, are completely unaware of.

I wonder how many of you have bothered to watch films made by directors like Charles Chaplin, Billy Wilder, John Ford, John Huston, John Cassavetes, Carol Reed, Otto Preminger, Akira Kurosawa, Ingmar Bergman, Franois Truffaut, Jean-Luc Godard, Roberto Rosselini, Fritz Lang, Federico Fellini, Sidney Lumet, Louis Malle, Orson Wells, Krzysztof Kielowski or Yasujiro Ozu.

Explore, guys. There are a lot of great films out there if you really want to find them. I love that you guys are excited about motion picture history. But take some time to actually learn about it. Movies didn't start in the 1970s.

Never for the sake of peace and quiet deny your convictions-Dag Hammarskjold

The 1990s and up until around 2007 was the last great era of filmmaking. It's no coincidence that movies have generally started to suck since the advent of digital cinema and the '07 writer's strike. Or maybe it is.

~ I'm a 21st century man and I don't wanna be here.