Gosford Park : SPOILER! Robert …

SPOILER! Robert …

I have just watched the movie twice in a row, and certain scenes repeatedly, especially the conversation between Robert and Mary in his room - well, provided that I comprehended correctly (I'm not an English native speaker) and that I haven't overlooked or forgotten sth, I definitely got the impression that Robert never actually admitted verbally that he did stab his father. Mary did all the talking regarding her conjectures, Robert never confirmed her 'assumptions', although he never refuted them either, except for saying that he did not poison Sir William - please correct me if I'm wrong.

Is it absolutely sure, without the hint of a doubt, that Robert DID stab his father? Could it have been someone else ? After all, we never see the face of the person who dons the dirty shoes, fetches the knife and stabs Sir William, and as I've said above, Robert never actually says "I did it".

Yes, I know, he has a motive, his own mother is convinced of his premeditation, he is very suspect (let's not forget the striped trousers), he does not expressly deny the deed and his guilt is very strongly implied - but is there any concrete proof that he actually did it ?

Of course, I cannot come up with any sound alternative regarding a proven 'stabber', though there were others too with motives and opportunities ... I continue to be a bit confused.

Re: SPOILER! Robert never really admitted having done 'the deed', did he ?

proof that he actually did it ?

Why would he admit it and to whom? Nobody saw him do it and I'm assuming the weapon and any other physical evidence was disposed of.

You are supposed to assume he did the attempt but you can't murder a corpse.

Why would he admit it and to whom? Nobody saw him do it and I'm assuming the weapon and any other physical evidence was disposed of.

And what purpose could it possibly serve?

You're right, beadarca, Robert never admitted that he had stabbed his father. We, the public, are driven though to assume it was him.
I even believe that his mother knew about his secret aspirations and therefore murdered old William before her son could do it.

English is not my first language. Any corrections are welcome.

I love when people type a spoiler in the actual subject line

I love when people type a spoiler in the actual subject line and think that saying "SPOILER!" is an effective way to hide the spoiler.

Re: I love when people type a spoiler in the actual subject line

basically, the imdb forums are a giant heap of spoilers. unless you are new to imdb, you should tread the forums with caution if you don't want spoilers. that is a given.

basically, the imdb forums are a giant heap of spoilers. unless you are new to imdb, you should tread the forums with caution if you don't want spoilers. that is a given.

Good point. Particularly for a movie that's been out since 2001!

Sorry for my blunder, I've corrected it now. Of course it comes too late for those who had read the title before, I apologize for that!
There's no possibility to put (parts of) the thread title into a spoiler box/tags.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Post deleted

Post deleted

Re: SPOILER! Robert never really admitted having done 'the deed', did he

The dialogue, and Altman's commentary, tell us he did. Mrs. Wilson tells Mary that she anticipates everything. "Not much crime in stabbing a corpse . . They can't touch him." She figured out that her son planned to kill his father, and beat him to it.

In addition, an "I don't know" response from Robert to Mary's "You murdered him, then" statement (which made little sense) was a good enough admission for me.

And like I said, if the director says so . .

I agree with all that has been said.

There is just one thing though, even though I also believe Clive Owen's character did the stabbing: how would he have known about the secret entrance to the room where it takes place?

He was a visitor there, a first time visitor...

I have the very same issue, myself: If Robert Parks was a first-time visitor to Gosford Park (and there is no indication that he'd ever been there before), how did he know the secret passage even existed? I think the more likely stabber to be the short guy (Anthony Meredith)who was ruined when Sir William pulled out of his business venture. He was a relative and could easily have known of the secret passage.

I have the very same issue, myself: If Robert Parks was a first-time visitor to Gosford Park (and there is no indication that he'd ever been there before), how did he know the secret passage even existed?

I think Parks trailed Mrs. Wilson from the kitchen as she carried that poison-laced cup of coffee up to Sir William's study (the cup of coffee that Sir William didn't want and certainly hadn't rung for). Most of the other servants were occupied with listening to Ivor Novello play and sing. The hostess and guests in the drawing room had plenty of servants standing by to serve them refreshments. The cup of coffee could only have been for the master of the house, who had withdrawn to his study in a foul mood.

Parks would have followed Mrs. Wilson at a discreet distance, but close enough to observe the route she took to reach the study. He waited until she exited, and then he entered the study to stab the now-deceased Sir William.

Perhaps Mrs. Wilson realized that Parks was following her, because after all she had anticipated Parks' actions that evening and had hastened to take the earliest opportunity to poison Sir William in private. I don't think it would have mattered to Mrs. Wilson if she had realized that Parks was following her, because to Mrs. Wilson the only important objective was to get to Sir William first and finish him off.

I think the more likely stabber to be the short guy (Anthony Meredith)who was ruined when Sir William pulled out of his business venture. He was a relative and could easily have known of the secret passage.

That possibility occurred to me tonight too. He sneaks out of the drawing room and exchanges quite pregnant glances with his wife.

I have not heard Altman's commentary, however.

I thought she said "Who murdered him then?" meaning who was the poisoner. I may be wrong however!

You're not a native English speaker but you certainly are a moron.

Writing "SPOILER" and then just posting the spoiler in the title is truly moronic. Congratulations. And please, if you can, try to refrain from having kids. Enough idiots in the world. Do Darwin a favor.

For every lie I unlearn I learn something new - Ani Difranco

Writing "SPOILER" and then just posting the spoiler in the title is truly moronic.

You're right, and I apologize for my blunder. I have now edited the thread title ...better late than never.
There's no possibility to hide (parts of) the thread title in a spoiler box.

And please, if you can, try to refrain from having kids. Enough idiots in the world. Do Darwin a favor.

Thank you for your 'nice' words and your concern with my family planning, but it's a bit too late for that - my daughter is almost 30 years of age ... and has a bachelor degree in business informatics. I taught her to always try being polite to people, even if they happened to make a mistake. I wonder whether this confirms your supposition that my kid must be an idiot ??

Just being curious: Have you done Darwin any favor ?

You're not a native English speaker but you certainly are a moron.

Writing "SPOILER" and then just posting the spoiler in the title is truly moronic. Congratulations. And please, if you can, try to refrain from having kids. Enough idiots in the world. Do Darwin a favor.

Oh my.

Re: SPOILER! Robert …

In murder scene if you notice the killer's clothes. he's wearing a striped suit. And Robert wears striped suit.