The Royal Tenenbaums : Hardcore Wes Fans: What makes this movie different?

Hardcore Wes Fans: What makes this movie different?

This is not one of those "I don't get the movie" posts, in fact, this movie is one of my favorites. My biggest issue is that this is the only Wes Movie that I really love. I think the characters are well developed and at least somewhat realistic, even if there are some crazy situations, I find them considerably less crazy than most of the things that happen in all his other movies.

I have not seen Fantastic Mr. Fox or Bottle Rocket yet but my question is, what separates this movie from all his other work?

What is so different that this could be one of my favorite movies and I really just don't like anything else he has done?

If I had to rate Anderson's movies:
1. Royal Tenenbaums (By a mile)

2. Grand Budapest
3. Life Aquatic
4. Darjeeling Limited
5. Moonrise Kingdom,
6. Rushmore

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Re: Hardcore Wes Fans: What makes this movie different?

The story in Tennenbaums is purely driven by characters and there's a ton of story while the structure is rather loose and unconventional (I think those are very important points although they might not sound like they'd make such a bug difference). I've not seen all his other movies yet but I think this doesn't really apply to the rest.

---

You see things; and you say Why? But I dream things that never were and I say Why not?

Agreed. Except imo i liked bottle rocket more than rushmore. This is my list. Im no expert, but i go with what i liked.

1. Royal Tennenbaums.
2. Life Aquatic
3. Grand Budapest
4. Bottle Rocket
5. Rushmore
6. Darjeling Limited. (Most ppl hated it. I don't.
7. Moonrise Kingdom.

Bob : gimme gimme. ..i need i need.

It could be that the difference is as simple as Gene Hackman. He is absolutely brilliant in this.

But, I think that the characters are deeper than in most of his other films. Tenenbaums also has a sense of tragic sadness that runs though it which is different. But it has the redeeming aspect of Royal's earnestness in making amends to his family while continuing to behave in his own idiosyncratic way. The way he is trying to rescue his family from the destroyed, sinking battleship that he wrecked.

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules. "
-Walter Sobchak

But, I think that the characters are deeper than in most of his other films.

I agree. I think all the characters in this one have some of the deepest and clearest motivations of any Wes Anderson film.

Can't stop the signal.

I agree info police. This movie had an unfair advantage with Hackman. He is arguably the greatest actor of all-time and he was phenomenal in Tennenbaums. Don't get me wrong, I love ALL the characters in Tennenbaums, but Hackman stood out i s a movie of greatness.

I don't think Hackman is ever bad, but he was absolutely incredible in this. The scene where someone - I think it's one of the kids but I don't remember - calls him on his history of BS and he sits there and then just laughs, like, "yeah, you got me" - I don't know of anyone else who could have pulled that off.

-Walter Sobchak

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

As a huge Wes fan, I'll bite.

RT unlike most of the rest of Wes' films, like Coppola's Godfather saga, where we're only shown the pov from one family, thus we famously side with them through thick & thin even as they're criminals, that's all we know & can appreciate. So too with the Tenenbaums.

Bottle Rocket, Rushmore, The Life Aquatic, The Darjeeling Ltd., each have Wes centric characters & environments up against 'real world' or counter programming if you will. Such (welcome for me) juxtaposition exists with those films except The Royal Tenenbaums- there really is no world we're shown outside of their home on Archer Ave.
That goes to the core of the very locale- set in New York City, Wes made a point not to show any famous buildings or landmarks. It's NYC without NYC as proper character if you will.

Moonrise is on a fictional island, which harkens back to RT, yet there is a greater melange of characters there, strangers to one another, thus not quite identical.
Same with The Grand Budapest, where we're taken around a bit of (fictional) Europe outside the safe confines of the actual hotel.

I dunno... that's my 2 cents.

...top 50 http://www.imdb.com/list/ls056413299/

^ Bingo, this. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Be sure to proof your posts to see if you any words out

Well said. I think you hit it on the head.

Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime.

dont know if it is different

i like GBH more for example

For me it's the style of the film and the relatability to the characters. They are all very human and despite their flaws you root for them. Like royal was a complete joke and a horrible father but I liked him and was hoping he would win his family back

Interesting, because this is the only Wes Anderson movie I hate.

Well, I guess that makes it different, lol

-Walter Sobchak

This is my third favorite film from him, but I can of course see how you'd have it so far ahead of the rest. I think with this film the story comes first. Compared to my favorites, Moonrise and Budapest, this actually has a much tighter script. There's so much happening with these characters in so little time, yet the way the introductions and events work allow us to feel like we know everything about them. With some of his other films he seems to write a script to fit the style, whereas I feel like with this film the style and script went hand in hand. Moonrise Kingdom is easily my favorite though. Hard to put in to words why. It just works for me.

Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime.