The Royal Tenenbaums : Hackman was a riot in this!

Hackman was a riot in this!

Finally saw this film last night. Had never seen any of Wes Anderson's stuff before. A friend of mine who's a fan said that I should start with this one and then if I liked it, check out Moonrise Kingdom. I've always been a huge Gene Hackman fan so I was planning on seeing this regardless. Boy was he in top form! I thought his scenes were the funniest. He out shined Owen Wilson and Stiller who are supposed to be the big comedy guns. I found myself laughing out loud to so many of his lines. The exchanges between him and Glover were great. Incredible casting all around.

Re: Hackman was a riot in this!

Indeed, the casting in this one is absolutely brilliant.

I agree on Hackman, his portrayal of Royal is stunning.

He out shined Owen Wilson and Stiller who are supposed to be the big comedy guns

Because Gene Hackman is a genious actor, and Wilson and Stiller are not.

Hackman arguably steals the show all the way back in Young Frankenstein. He's great at comedy.

Straightedge means I'm better than you.

He makes this movie, no doubt.

This character is what comes to my mind when his name is mentioned.

Another comedy he does great in: The Birdcage (US version).

Be sure to proof your posts to see if you any words out

I think it is one of the best performances of a brilliant career by Hackman.

And to think, William Friedkin had to fight to get Hackman cast in The French Connection because he wasn't a star.

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules. "
-Walter Sobchak

Rewatching it now. Hackman is a motherfecking genius.

Hackman was marvelously droll in this. Couldn't help but love the charming rogue. He was kind of darkly comic in Unforgiven too.

Gene Hackman is one of The Greats. Be sure and check out a film of his called "All Night Long", with Barbra Streisand, Dennis Quaid, and Diane Ladd. It is Hackman at his comedic best. It's an old movie, but really worth finding.

With our thoughts, we make our World.

I thought this was a funny scene: when Hackman tells his wife he's dying, and she starts sobbing hysterically. Then he tells her he's NOT dying, and she slaps him. Then he tells her he IS dying. Haha, funny scene!

Hackman can do anything...

According to the trivia pg. he was difficult for WA to work with and other actors had to intervene, even though he was WA's only choice for the part. Of course he owns the role as he's done in so many other movies. My fave, The Conversation.

Hackman was good here. Just a shame he was so difficult to work with.

It's that man again!!

Definitely the life of the party here, a real firecracker. That he bought in fully for the (low paying?) role is to be commended & appreciated.
His sequence with his grandkids is one of the film's highlights, fun & mischief.

...my essential 50 http://www.imdb.com/list/ls056413299/

I've seen the stories about what a nightmare Hackman was to work with on the film, they're kind of legendary. Apparently he could be quite a nasty guy.

But he was brilliant in every movie I've ever seen him in. He could do anything, menacing villain, romantic lovesick, tough cop, cowboy, and quirky stuff like TRT. He had a helluva career.