The Royal Tenenbaums : Just not that good.

Just not that good.

Too much time spent on how fun and original the characters were. All they do is walk around and talk. I wish this lush group of characters had done more things that were exciting. Because there are some cool elements to this movie but not enough. Snobs will say the impacts were subtle but, it's ok, you can admit to yourself that it was dull.

Re: Just not that good.

"All they do is walk around and talk. I wish this lush group of characters had done more things that were exciting."

What, running around by the pool isn't exciting enough for you?! They're only human!

mordecai flew around and stuff

Yeah, it has a car crash, a stabbing, a suicide attempt, a wedding, a sinking battleship....

"I don't want any Commies in my car. No Christians, either."

...a dogfight, shoplifting, a half-naked passionate lesbian kiss, an amputation, a meltdown in the finals of the U.S. Open tennis tournament...

…a bb gun fight, a Park Ave fire drill, an eviction during a massage, scenes from a cruise ship, a guy cutting off all his hair, and characters who fake terminal illnesses and like to ride go-carts and garbage trucks…

This is a great movie.

Well sure, but besides all that, not much action.

These actions are only snapshots. I wish they had spent time meditating the feelings around them instead of all of a sudden showing them. It made me feel uninvested.

I'm sorry that this movie didn't make you feel invested, but that just means that this movie was not your speed, not that it wasn't good.

It's called a character drama. It's not supposed to have 'exciting' things.

I agree, it has a lot of things like a car crash, a lesbian scene, etc, etc but I didn't feel hooked, I almost forced me to finish the movie. It's a really weird movie, I normally understand those deep meaning films, but this time, for me, this is overrated.

Totally agree. Instead of walking around and talking they should've chased each other in cars, blew things up, and summoned BATMAN & SPIDERMAN to solve their problems.

What an utterly tiresome response

I'll stop making utterly tiresome responses when Hollywood stops making utterly tiresome movies.

Fair enough, but you're proving yourself just as boring and devoid of imagination as those who prefer said blockbusters by using such an unoriginal defence. The only cliche you missed is transformers. Come up with something original.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Post deleted

I agree,to a point. There were subtleties,and the ensemble was superb,but not enough really happened. However,I did enjoy the movie,for the acting and quirkiness.

I love how you automatically dismiss anyone that disagrees with you by labeling them a "snob".

The movie isn't dull you just don't have a sense of humor that appreciates nuance or whit.

i agree with the OP, i love wes anderson, but this movie still shows is "imaturity" in the type of moviemaking that he wanted to achieve, as far as im concerned he achieved it later in "life aquatic ", still is a good movie.just not great.

It's about people growing up in an environment which both nurtured and stifled their greatness. I find that fascinating, but, if you can truly distill what a movie is to a single sentence, then what you have is a really great sentence, not the stuff of a movie.

This happens to be one of my favorite movies, but I know its not everyone's cup of tea, and to be honest, though I always want the people who make the movies I like to make a lot of money, the fact remains that if this was popular with the kinds of people I sort of abhor, or at least, whose taste in movies I have no respect for, it wouldn't diminish my love of it, but it would make me kind of disappointed.

So, if you don't like it, I thank you for not liking it. I know you're expecting me to say 'Go watch Twilight' or something like that, but no. I make no judgments...at least not to your face, but once you have gone I am going to comment to the people who stayed what a fool you are and how you should just go watch Twilight or something, but who cares what we think? Let us have our party. I know you think I'm a doofus for liking it, but that's a discussion you can have at your party. You guys get to have an impact on a greater quantity of people, we get to have an impact on a greater quality of people. The quality of a given person being harder to quantify than the quantity, you can make the argument more easily that yours is the greater quality as well. Well, go to it! Do you thing.

Let us have these tiny moments because they are all we'll have. You have all the time in the world.

This is probably the saddest message I've read in a while. I did not like this film even a bit, but I don't think the people who like it are (in general) somehow different or inferior to me. The same goes for any film. People like different things, and it definitely doesn't have anything to do with their qualities as a person. Well... probably many of the people you love don't like this film, so think about that (of course assuming that there are several people you do love, and that you are not part of some homogeneous community far far away from civilization.)

I found a movie you may like, it's called 'The Smurfs'. It's zany and has an easy to follow plot and stuff.

Didn't like it all that much either. I can pretty much only remember the hawk and the girl losing a toe or something. And ending up in an incestuos relation with Owen Wilson (or was that the other Wilson guy? they sort of look the same, weird the characters are not actually brothers). I guess I didn't get it.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think it was bad or anything. Just didn't work for me. I think it was kind of a missed opportunity.

Agree to an extent. Just watched it for the second time and enjoyed it alot more but it seems to be playing catchup with all the characters and their traits. There's very little time of people actually interacting properly. It's hard to explain. The whole movie is a little too fast paced, covering too many characters and background and it feels like it never stops and settles. The whole film is like an extended montage.

I still like it and think it will continue to grow on me but it could probably have worked better as a 10 episode series or something. That would have been awesome.

I saw this in cinema I think and thought it was total crap, then I come on here and it's 7.5 or something, I was stunned.

First time I saw this I felt the exact same thing. I thought it was really fake, very pseudo artsy flick. Then I saw it years later and I totally get it. Definitely one of my top 3 fav films. Its actually a very rich character study. As a lot of families are broken up these characters exemplify them in many ways. Many people identify with the different characters. The film does an amazing job of holding up a mirror to society at the types of relationships and consequences that can occur from betrayal and a broken family.

Exactly this, I got the same from it and think its a great film, but I can understand those who don't gather the same thing from it.

"Even though I'm no more than a monster - don't I, too, have the right to live? " -Oh Dae-Su

Post deleted

Even though I usually like many kinds of movies, this just didn't work for me. I got so bored half way that I just had to stop. I thought that the another hour is not worth the time invested. Even the first half felt like 3 hours. Maybe it'd get better to the end, but the first half was so boring that I started to evaluate the worth of the time spent. It's very rarely that a movie gets me to that state. The characters were not interesting at all, nothing interesting was really happening, it was not funny even slightest, it was just plain boring in all possible ways. It's one of the worst movies I've watched in the last year or so.

I'm not complaining about the acting though. It was somehow well-made movie without anything interesting in it. If a movie cannot rise your interest in it's first half, it's just a bad movie (for you).

If some people like it, okay... no problem. I did not like it at all, even though I usually like every kinds of movies.

I basically agree, it somehow just didn't work for me either. Although it was well made and acted, somehow the story felt really slow paced and I just didn't care for the characters.
It's got nothing to do with the genre, but it was rather boring to watch. IMHO it just isn't on the same level as comedy-dramas like "Withnail & I", which is both funnier and more tragic, as well as more engaging on the whole.

Snobs will say the impacts were subtle but, it's ok, you can admit to yourself that it was dull.

Way to make yourself sound like a snob.

The characters were what this was all about, if you really thought they were fun and original then there is no way that you thought this was boring. The only way to think this was dull or them just talking was a problem is if you don't like the characters.

"God, when I meet you, I'm gonna be pretty. If it's the last thing I do. I'll be a beautiful angel."

I love Wes Anderson movies, they are an acquired taste. When you say all they do is walk around and talk, it is most likely because you didn't recognize the conflict, which is not subtle. When you go into a story, you should be able to learn what the characters want and what they are trying to accomplish, that is basic. However, I will admit, the first time I watched this movie (by myself), I did not laugh at all, I was barely entertained, partially because I was exhausted, and partially because of my mood, but when I watched the film with my family, I found it hilarious and laughed my ass off at everything I picked up the second time around, having more energy. However, the film is not about showing all the things this family did, it is about showing what they became, how broken they are, and how they attempt to fix it, and it all centers around Royal's attempt to spend more time with the family that he neglected, and it is hilarious because of how much he fails in making amends. It is also satisfying in that, he finally achieves his goal in the end, through a spontaneous, but inevitable, act by Eli Cash.

I had high hopes for the film and was disappointed. Of the Wes Anderson films I've seen thus far this one rates last. Everything about the film said it would be good but it was too much of a pastiche to be coherent.

I give my respect to those who have earned it; to everyone else, I'm civil.

Like other said , i think it woulda been better as a mini series. There was to many interesting main characters. In a way it was 3 movies taking place at the same time.

Agreed, very pretentious film this one.

Just a great and classic movie have no idea what you were watching!

It was the biggest cast of characters that I was unable to care anything about!

Call it anything you want but that doesn't change my opinion that it was a dull boring bad movie.

You're wrong, but whatever.

Can't stop the signal.

Ok. I'm a huge fan of this movie, but I'll try to be objective for a moment here. Although, I think the movie has a vibrant plot, I could understand someone claiming that not much happens. On some level, I could be forced to agree that the movie lacks a coherent story.

But if you think along those lines, I'd then recommend viewing the film and focusing only on the personal growth of each character. It's like in the flashback when Royal is bashing his young daughter's play, a young Chas asks him, "Well did you at least think the characters were well-developed?"

If you didn't like this movie, did you at least think the characters were well-developed?

The dialogue alone was enough to keep me invested.

It was ok, but overrated.

No it's not good it's fantastic!

No it's not good it's fantastic!

Philistine