The Royal Tenenbaums : Anyone read Salinger's Franny and Zooey?

Anyone read Salinger's Franny and Zooey?

The family really reminds me of the family from Franny and Zooey (awesome book by the way, totally worth reading). All the people in it are slightly dark and pretentious, and they were all famous at a young age only to have their family torn apart by death and dysfunctionality. I love the book as well as this movie and I was just wondering if anyone else had read it/noticed the similarities.

Re: Anyone read Salinger's Franny and Zooey?

Yea, I'm sure I've even heard Wes Anderson mention it, but the children in this movie are very reminiscent of the Glass children.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Didn't jnow that Anderson admitted this , but I was reminded of the Glass family ba this movie too.

I haven't read Franny and Zooey (although I've read CATCHER & NINE STORIES). But I heard that Wes Anderson based the characters from TENENBAUMS on FRANNY AND ZOOEY.

agreed. Wes Anderson has good taste in books

In the Heart of the Sea is a great book

There is at least one major review and half dozen others that make a precise connection between this film and Salinger's Glass family saga. Not only that, but Wes Anderson's Rushmore and some other films have Salinger touches throughout.

a precise connection between this film and Salinger's Glass family saga. Not only that, but Wes Anderson's Rushmore and some other films have Salinger touches throughout.
poemcomic: The Royal Tenenbaums is one of my favorite movies, but I haven't read much in the way of reviews.
Did any of the reviews you've read make a connection to Salinger's short story "For Esmé – with Love and Squalor"?

To me, Gwyneth Paltrow's character seems much more like the title character in this work. It's in "9 Stories". I'm not a huge fan of Salinger in general (well it's Catcher in the Rye, really, that I don't much care for), but I like some of his other writing, including that particular "For Esmé" story.

'For Esme With Love and Squalor' is the most personal of all Salinger's stories and based on his traumatic battle experiences in WWII invasion of Germany. The scuttlebutt is that the manuscripts we can expect from the 'Salinger safe' now that the reclusive author is gone include more personal WWII material along the lines of Esme.

more personal WWII material along the lines of Esme.
Huh. I was not aware of what or how much writing Salinger left behind, but, as you note, the guy was a recluse. (are there degrees of reclusiveness? He was a pro.) This writing might be more my speed. I do not know much about his life during WWII, almost nothing before the Joyce Maynard years starting in the early '70s.

the manuscripts we can expect
Except, CAN the general public expect old papers of Salinger's?

This is unpublished work, yes? So, after his death, the work would now be the property of his children or whoever else may have inherited this part of Salinger's estate.

Has there been a sale of this material, or indications of publication in the near future? Do you, or anyone reading this, know who did inherit these papers?

The estate has issued publication schedules for late 2018 or so and on including complete novels, stories and more. Salinger wrote much of 'Catcher' in the middle of the war and was a good soldier but in the end had a breakdown from combat fatigue.

"Salinger wrote much of 'Catcher' in the middle of the war and was a good soldier but in the end had a breakdown from combat fatigue.
I've had the idea that he became a hermit, or reclusive, or whatever you'd like to call it, due to the immense to-do re: Catcher in the Rye. People thinking "Surely this man had all the answers." Ugh. From what I understand, an overwhelming number of people simply showed up where he was living, wanting to chat with this writer, this guy that his readers had built up in their minds as a guru-like figure.

Ok, so this has been my impression, as .. hmm a semi-literary person who has a vague interest in Salinger, - he was certainly talented, but has never been one of my few favorite writers.

Now reading your post, knowing that he had a breakdown during WWII, combat fatigue (akin to what might now be called PTSD - it seems that he never recovered) - all this clears the picture a bit, an underlying reason, a sense that he could not cope with so many people around him, and the attention he received. Something to add, explaining the great lengths he resorted to, simply to get away from that.

In Salinger's case, this attention seems to have done nothing but worsen any type of breakdown; apparently he was already stuck in it. That's so very sad.

n.b., this tragedy is not an excuse for much of his behavior. I realize there were some awful things associated with him. What I have written, here, sticks to the following fact:
Someone fighting in a war, breaking down, gets flooded with large groups of people demanding his time and attention.

This is very interesting! Thanks for the info. For a second I thought, "I'll have to keep an eye out for this upcoming work!" but I'm sure there will be a big splash upon publication.

There will be a VERY big splash (good or bad). Salinger never quite recovered from Oona O'Neill (love of his life) marrying Charlie Chaplin. They were item before the war and he read about her marriage in the midst of combat. What a crusher.

The children remind me of the Glass children somewhat--gifted and conflicted and on the verge of a nervous breakdown -- but the mother is very different, and there was no one like Royal.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

I can see the similarities to the Glass children, but Anderson's films, and especially this one, remind me far more strongly of John Irving than of Salinger.

I agree. Wes' characters remind me of John Irving characters too.

Read it, loved it. What a terrible shame that Salinger didn't give us a bit more.

What he gave was plenty, but I craved for more for a long time.