The Royal Tenenbaums : I Didn't Laugh Once.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Re: I Didn't Laugh Once.

How can I not chastise the OP with an aggressive and challenging title like that?? "I didn't laugh once."

Well then, The Hangover is probably more up your alley...

'What the hell kinda way to act is that?'- Royal Tenenbaum

I have my own movie classifications for my small but growing private collection. One of these is "Melodrama" as opposed to "Comedy". Melodramatic movies are often highly amusing but seldom, if ever, belly splitting. They have their serious and even really tragic moments. One is highly entertained by a good melodrama and may well chuckle as the film unwinds but it is not the stuff that has one rolling on the floor as in what my spouse terms "a really goofy film". Until recently I had not heard of Wes Anderson or his movies. I happened to be browsing through a download movie website and the title and DVD cover of "The Darjeeling Limited" grabbed my attention. I have a thing about train movies so I went for it and gained the unexpected and very lovely experience of entering the wonderful world of Anderson. I can see why movie buffs either love or hate his work.

Anyhow, outright movie comedies seldom work, partly because outside the English speaking world humour may be completely different and even within the English speaking world North American humor and British humour often are mutually incomprehensible. Besides comedies easily become dated and stale. For instance I have grown out of the Pink Panther movies I used to love thirty years or more ago even the remakes don't stir me any more.I can say the same for the British Carry-On series of movies or Fawlty Towers. (The one exceptional comic classic that never seem to die is Danny Kaye's "The Court Jester"). Good Melodramas like good wines, in contrast to effervescent comedies, are less likely to date and are more able to travel so long as they are well crafted, are bitter sweet and they reach deep into the heart of one's soul.

i lmao loads of times... so many funny lines, details etc. extremely funny movie, only not up front.

Post deleted

Eli: (on the phone while signing his new book) Why would a reviewer make the point of saying someone's *not* a genius? Do you especially think I'm *not* a genius? ...You didn't even have to think about it, did you?

few more lines i found very funny. i really cant imagine someone not thinking this is one of the best comedy of all time, never mind not good..

Eli: [reading part of his newest novel at a press conference] The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sage thicket. "Vámonos, amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintcraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.

Richie: We want to take you to get some help.
Eli: ...Is it just you guys?

Peter Bradley: [Eli is on drugs while being interviewed on television] Now, your previous novel...
Eli: Yes, "wildcat".
Peter Bradley: Not a success. Why?
Eli: Well... wildcat was written in a kind of obselete vernacular...
[long pause]
Eli: ... wildcat... wild... cat...
[he stares into space]
Eli: ... pow... wildcat... I'm going to go.
[after seeing Eli on TV]
Royal: What the hell kind of way to act is that?
Richie: He's on drugs.

Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss. Your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

Richie: Did you say you were on Mescaline?
Eli: I did indeed. Very much so.

Medical Student: Can the boy tell time?
Raleigh: Oh, my Lord, no!
[dudley shaking his head no]

A good comedy is not the one where you laugh out of stupid jokes (hangover style) but a comedy that leaves you with a witty smile as you walk out of stage, still digesting the brilliant movie (i Hearth Hucabees, The Big Empty style).

--------------
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for enough good men to do nothing.

Wow, to answer you question when is it funny......the whole time this IS the best movie ever..... "Well everyone knows Custer died at Little Big Horn. What this book presupposes is... maybe he didn't"

Another movie with an almost entirely jewish cast who *think* they are funny. It's no wonder that you "didn't laugh once". It was about as funny and/or creative as an episode of seinfeld.

Whoa! Who invited Goebbels to the party?

I also didn't laugh, don't have a clue why it's supposed to be a comedy.

Post deleted

What about the stabbing scene?

it's a very dry dry humor... one moment I find hilarious every time is when Owen Wilson's character is on mescaline, tripping complete balls, possibly on the verge of a melt-down, and then with a straight face tells his best friend that he's worried about HIM....

Post deleted

I recall having a good laugh maybe once or twice. However, there was a whole hell of a lot of smirking.

Me neither.

I could see the parts we're supposed to find humorous, they just weren't. Definitely heavier on the drama side.

Maybe I'm just used to British black comedy, which usually has me laughing.
Perhaps my life is just too similar that the quirk is eroded, since to me, it is normal.
Whatever the reason, I just didn't find the comedy label appropriate.

It's a decent enough film. Can't see why people would consider it to be a "must see before you die" though.

Yea..Me too..I smiled many times watching this movie but didn't laugh at all..

you don´t have to, it´s a drama

a beautiful drama

It's definitely not a comedy, black or otherwise. I'm very easygoing when it comes to movies but this annoyed the hell out of me. So much talent wasted on this mirthless tripe.

Dudley made me laugh. Every single scene.

The stabbing scene was hilarious but the scene that had me in stiches was when Royal remarked when they find out he wasn't going to die how he has "high blood pressure". Brilliant!

Get help.

This is no comedy. It is a Wes Anderson movie. His films are a mix between a comedy and a drama. The first time you see this film, you might not laugh. the humor is subtle and deadpan. So, just think about the film. Then, the next time you are feeling down and need an uplift, watch the film again, this time with friends and/or family. You will find it funnier the second time around.

The best part the movie was at the end. Royal's tombstone.

I think there's quite some laugh out loud moments but at times it's rather dark and at other times it's rather subtle. I smiled all the way through.

---

You see things; and you say Why? But I dream things that never were and I say Why not?

I somewhat smiled through most of it, at least a tiny bit. At least this isn't a movie where I can say I think someone is nuts for giving it a 7, 8, etc... Some movies are flat mediocre to the point of it being impossible for a sane person to rate highly. :) I still have no clue how anyone can like 2001: a space odyssey, for instance. What a boring waste of time that was. About 5 minutes of dialogue in the whole movie and staring at almost stationary objects and any hint of a story just abruptly ended.

I still have no clue how anyone can like 2001: a space odyssey, for instance

That's my favorite movie...

---

"You see things; and you say Why? But I dream things that never were and I say Why not?"

I laughed throughout the entire movie!

I somewhat laughed once. That is the problem with Anderson's movies, the more I think about it. I think back on them believing I like them, but then when I watch a new one it makes me remember that they only have one or two funny parts the entire movie. Sure some parts are funny if you think about them, but not laugh out loud funny. Just a little chuckle funny.

I rated this a 6 and the sad part about the movie is the funniest part was in the first like 7 minutes! Margot's birthday party. In fact anything dealing with them as kids was much funnier than the rest of the movie. They should have spent more time on them as kids then maybe half the movie related to them as adults.

I bought Moonrise Kingdom criterion release recently and now that I think about it I sure hope I didn't misremember liking that movie and it turn out it also only had one or two funny parts. Really same with The Grand Budapest Hotel. I remember some very funny parts, truly that did have way more than one laugh, but even in that the last 30 minutes was way better than the rest, so each of his releases have a small portion that is funny.

And part of what hurts them is how quickly it jumps to new scenes. I don't like when you can't get relaxed into a situation because too much is going on at once.

There are still a few of his movies I need to see for the first time, such as Bottle Rocket. But, anyway, I LIKE his movies. I think in many ways they are well made, but that doesn't make them funny really. Some things are only funny in an intellectual ha.....long pause....ha type of way. If there were 10 more scenes as funny as the dad basically saying the girl's play sucked and her reaction to him, it would have got an 8 from me. It would be stupid to try to nonstop cause laughs, but it still did it too infrequently.

Dude, if you watch his films to laugh, you're not watching them for the right reasons. They're exercises in mise en scene, not dumb-fun comedies.

Having an opinion can save your life. Just ask Marvin.

Actually there is an entire subset of films that are billed as "comedies" even though they are not. However, they are not either "dramas." Specifically to this film, if the roles were written and acted realistically or even naturalistic, as opposed to what Brits call "eccentric," it would have been unbearably sad and gut wrenching, a true dramatic tragedy - and likely not that easy to sell. It would have had to be an Indy Swedish, French or Russian small budget film. So while not always "funny," per se, it was written in a lighthearted tone. In real life, the same series of events would have a been an agonizing bleeding wound. Unfortunately, they've never created a category called "Light hearted Drama," so for now they just use "Comedy." And Comedy isn't always "funny." :-)

they've never created a category called "Light hearted Drama,... they just use "Comedy.
Umm.
Comedy-drama
Comedic drama
Dramedy
Tragicomedy

"When you say Dylan, he thinks you mean Dylan Thomas...whoever he was."