The Royal Tenenbaums : I Didn't Laugh Once.

Re: I Didn't Laugh Once.

I get that Mourasantos hates this movie, but he's being seriously misguided. Again, humor is subjective. How can I drive that idea home? Just think about how many times you've had a random conversation in which a friend fell over laughing, and you asked "what the hell's so funny?" and he/she just shrugged, still in helpless giggles. We don't choose what we find funny, we just do. People on this thread are offering these quotes in which they find funny, and apparently Mourasantos feels qualified to determine what is allowed to be funny or not. Sheesh, even with the explanations. These lines are clearly not punchlines, and the posters are right about the context and line delivery being part of the humor. Gene Hackman was just awesome, probably funnier than anyone else in the movie, just because of the way he said his lines. And a lot of the humor stems from all the awkward moments as well. That's another thing, if you don't find awkward moments funny, then that may be another factor in not liking a Wes Andersen movie.

Some of my personal favorites:

Chaz: "ARE YOU LISTENING TO ME?"
Royal: "YES! I AM!" (again, all due to the way Hackman said it)

Ethyl: (hysterically) My god! What was that!?!?
Margot: (in a flat monotone) Eli just crashed his car into the front of the house.

"I wrote a suicide note...after I regained consciousness"

"Is it dark?"

"Of course it's dark, it's a suicide note."

Of course, that's just my opinion.

My DVDs: http://gemcgee.dvdaf.com/owned

I laughed hard (and so did the audience in the theater in 2001), when Angelica Huston clobbered Hackman, when he tried to stop her crying-by changing his "I'm dying" story, saying "I'm not dying, but I need some time, a month or so.."

I laughed when Royal said.."But I just want to say the last 6 days have been the best 6 days of probably my whole life" and the narrator (Baldwin) cuts in to say.."Immediately after making this statement, Royal realized it was true."

I laughed when I saw Eli Cash's paintings (and some other things) in his apt.

And the other people on here are right, it's not about getting as many laughs as possible. And that's a good thing. Those type (esp..Airplane and Naked Gun) of movies suck.

wrong. Airplane has deservedly earned its status as one of the greatest comedies of all time. On the other side of the spectrum, the Royal Tenenbaums will fade into obscurity, lose its considerable fan base of clueless hipsters and finally be exposed for what it really is: an empty, souless--though pretty to look at-- art house flick.

Margot: Dudley, where is he?
(Dudley comes out of the hospital room, covered in blood.)
Dudley: Who?

My personal favorite part.

LOL-'Airplane' is the stupidest form of comedy there is, it's cheap jokes every 20 seconds, it was the best of its ilk, but of course it led to much worse "sight gag" comedies in the "taste challenged" 1980's. Go watch 'Stepbrothers', that's more your "speed."

I happen to like Airplane!, The Royal Tenenbaums, and many of Will Ferrell's comedies (have yet to see Step Brothers, though.) Heck, I even liked Observe and Report.

So does that mean that people can have different tastes, or am I an unholy cinema-beast from the beyond?

Of course, that's just my opinion.

My DVDs: http://gemcgee.dvdaf.com/owned

"leave the intelligent wes anderson fans alone!"

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

mourasantos, you made a duplicate post on the 'Apocalypse Now' board, last March 29.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078788/board/nest/130003858?d=134299612#134299612

Airplane is hilarious.
The Royal Tenenbaums is much funnier, though.

Well I like Airplane but I love the Royal Tenenbaums so I don't think you have to exclude other films just because you like another.

LOL - only clueless hipsters could possibly like the film? You must be pretty clueless yourself if you're seriously going to compare "Tenenbaums" with "Airplane". "Airplane" is, IMO, one of the funniest movies ever made and by far the best of its type, but it's idiocy to compare it to this film. They're so completely different that there IS no comparison. It's like comparing "Singin' in the Rain" with "The Blues Brothers". They're both musicals, right? So does that mean they should be judged against one another? As I said, idiocy.

Look, if you don't get it, that's your misfortune. But if you can watch this movie and not concede at the very least to the sheer brilliance of Hackman's performance, there is little to no hope for you when it comes to your taste. I personally feel sorry for those who need their comedy spoon-fed to them. There's something to be said for subtlety, not to mention originality. And attacking the film, the filmmakers, and the fans is about the worst possible way to try to get your point across. It's a playground tactic and it makes it impossible to take you seriously.

Let us take the risks of peace upon our lives, not impose the risks of war upon the world.

I just felt like resurrecting this thread because I feel strongly compelled to call the OP a giant douche.

Perhaps drooling retarded frat boy Adam Sandler is more your speed.

Jesus is my Best friend, but he still won't loan me money.

It's a dry humor, to be sure, but I was laughing out loud quite a bit.

Specifically, the most 'comedic' line was Owen Willson explaining his book, 'Well, everyone knows that Custer died in the battle of Little Big Horn. What this book presupposes is, maybe he didn't?'

Come on, that's funny!

owen wilson makes anything sound funny.
he probably wrote that line, too.

I have watched this many many times and laugh a lot. It is curious to me what some people find funny and others dont though. For example the line about Royal realizing what he had just said was true. That was touching to me but not funny in the slightest.
The whole,
Raleigh: "You made a cuckold of me."
Margot: "I know."
Raleigh: "Many times over."
Margot: "So sorry."
dramatic and a bit sad but not even a bit funny to me - not even in a subtle way.

There were a lot of parts where I did laugh out loud. Owen's artsy babble about "Wildcat" being written in an, "obsolete vernacular"; Royal telling Pagoda it would be the last time he stabbed him; Royal's argument with Glover; Royal telling Ethel that Chaz's boys needed some recklessness brewed into them; the suicide note dialogue -much more

To each his own I guess. I did notice like one poster said that the dialogue is always 97% (at least) slower than normal. It is weird but works in its own way.

and the movie-snob says, "well if you didn't like it, go watch Transformers"

Hey mourasantos, what are some of your favourite comedies? Just interested to see what kind of laughs grab you rather than just dismissing your taste as populist, mass-audience, trash lover.

These threads always baffle me... I'm always having to write posts trying to explain why I find something funny, or think so and so film is good to people who come into these forums bashing and trashing these pretty bloody great films. See for me, if I really don't like something I'll either, A) not watch it in the first place because I'm a fairly discerning viewer and will know roughly what I'm in for, or B) don't run straight to the forum boards to complain about something I didn't enjoy. I'd rather spend my time discussing things I do enjoy and search for clarity concerning complicated films etc.

Who can be bothered coming into a place knowing all you want to do is mock people who don't have the same aesthetic sensibilities as you, and smash your fists on the table. Surely discussing things you like and reaching greater levels of understanding about things that actually have levels is far more rewarding than being angry and frustrated.

Or have I just given a comprehensive description of a troll? Are you a troll mourasantos? ;p

LEETHEROBOT:

The only films which manage to spark in me enough emotion so as to warrant my posting on a message board are these:

films which I feel have been grossly underrated.
films which I feel have been grossly overrated.

Only when the consensus of a film's merits (or lack thereof) seems far removed from what is justified do I feel impelled to voice my opinion— in either its defense or acclamation.

My views often coalesce with the majority. In these instances, I feel no need to join the masses in attributing further weight to an idea which is, in essence, already set in stone. Why spend time writing about how terrifying The Exorcist is? Why spend time drooling over the brilliance of Adaptation? Why would I feel the need to cite Die Hard as the best example of an action movie done right?
These things have already been done, ad nauseaum, ad infinitum.

But to answer your question, some of my favorite comedies include:

Airplane!
See no Evil Hear no Evil
Groundhog Day
Dumb and Dumber
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother
Weekend at Bernies
Private Parts
Bean
Idiocracy
Zoolander
Very Bad Things
Ghost World
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Beavis and Butthead do America
True Lies
Napoleon Dynamite
Nacho Libre

Those are all clearly a different brand of comedy than Royal Tenenbaums. That list pretty much confirms that you just don't get it. That doesn't make you inferior in any way, as I'm sure you know. The Royal Tenenbaums is one of my favorite movies of all time, and for me, it's a laugh out loud movie. (And by the way, the first time I saw it, not long after it came out, I HATED it.) But I also own about half the movies you listed. I should hope that this thread's mass of positive, intelligent responses in favor the movie is enough to convince you that the Royal Tenenbaums just isn't your style of humor. At least, not yet.

This vine is for hitting ghosts.

What, really? Ghost World? Huh? I really don't get that. Ghost World is my all time favorite film, and Tenenbaums would probably make my Top 10 (either it or Rushmore -- definitely one of the two to represent Anderson). I don't get how you can find Ghost World a hilarious comedy but this pretencious drivel. I think both of them have pretty similar styles of subtle humor, and neither spends too much time on laugh out loud comedy. Odd.

Are you a Grand bowler?

I don't laugh that much the first time I watch a Wes Anderson film, but I usually end up chuckling and sniggering endlessly upon repeat viewings.

Wes Anderson is the best young film-maker we've got.

I thought it was hilarious when Royal shows up with a notary public named Sanchez. It's funny because he has a foreign servant with a single name named Pagoda.

The paintings on Eli's wall are ridiculously funny.

Every scene with Raliegh and Dudley is hilarious. "That taxi cab has a dent in it." (The cab looks like it's been beaten with a baseball bat.)

Royal: Oh that's right, we got another body buried here.

The scene where the PI goes over Margot's affair and marriage and Raleigh only reacts to her smoking. That's funny.

The scene with Richie breaking down on the tennis court is hilarious.

Oh man I know this post is really old, but it reminded me of the scene when Raleigh is whispering into his tape recorder about Dudley's acute sense of hearing and color blindness, and Dudley overhears from across the apartment and asks, "I'm colorblind?!"

The block test scene was humorous too.

I laughed out loud no less than three times...

When the recap of the tennis match was being shown...at one point, Richie throws his tennis racket at an oncoming ball.

When Glover's character falls into the pit. It seems out of place in this film...a bit of slapstick in a dry film.

And, any scene where Royal talks about Chas' dead wife.

I laughed silently many more times, although these laughs aren't my main reason for liking this film.

I agree this movie isn't for everybody, especially for the Adam Sandler/Will Ferell fans. I found it to be hilarious and entertaining, but that's IMO.

Maybe if you guys keep posting banal quotes from this mediocre movie, mourasantos will like it as much as you.

I'm surprised nobody has listed the scene wherein Raleigh is asking Margot how long she is going to be away. After Margot tells him she doesn't know, Raleigh picks up a cookie, stops before eating it, and just dryly says "Well I want to die." That scene was both melancholy and hysterical.

A poem is a naked person...

My favorite scene is where Margot and Eli meet for the last time.

Eli: I'm not in love with you anymore.
Margot: I didn't know you ever were.
E: Please, let's not make this any harder than it already is.
M: Do you send my mother your clippings, and your grades from college?
E: (sigh) Please stop belittling me.

I'm paraphrasing, of course. I can't explain why, but that line "Please stop belittling me" kills me every time.

Oh, I also crack up at the end of the opening sequence when baby Richie sets his bird off, saying "Go Mordecai!" That's pretty funny too. And of course, the tennis match. ("That's 72 unforced errors for Richie Tenenbaum.")

I didn't read the whole part.

Subtle funny stuff....

Ben Stiller and kids ,the whole movie they wore Red sporting suits..
At the funeral they were dressed in Black sporting suits...

Sometimes it doesn't need words to be funny..

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

It's no crime if this type of humor isn't your thing, but I laughed out loud about 20 times. The subtle humor was everywhere. Great movie.

This film is terrible. If any film is "quirky" or the least bit "different" in a mainstream context, it's praised to high heaven, when there are better indie and no budget films being made every single day that no one gives a *beep* about because DUH IT DON'T HAVE BEN STEELER IN ITTT LOOL.

Fact:Ben Stiller has never been in a good movie.

Fact:The funniest movie ever made is the Corndog Man.

I wouldn't really call this an "independent" film--though it has many independent film qualities, Wes Anderson films have become somewhat mainstream. Also--it's not really praised to high heaven because it is "quirky" or "different"--but rather, mostly because a lot of people can identify with it (despite it's very odd superficial qualities). I'm not saying you "have to" like it...but certainly try to understand it before calling it terrible. Frequently it gets written off because a lot of people don't initially understand it (and, if given context or if it becomes understood, the film can be an enjoyable experience).

On another note, I'm not in any way trying to belittle you by implying that you didn't understand it. Wes Anderson films (and their fans) frequently get a bad rap for being percieved as pretentious and elitist (when in reality they are just misunderstood). Likewise, the "you just don't get it" joke also gives them a bad rap--as Wes Anderson fans sound like they're trying to imply that you lack the intelligence to get it. What you really are lacking is the context and familiarity with the work--the underlying themes and jokes? At first it appears like a practical joke--but it is really quite the opposite. Much of the work is making fun of such practical jokes and elitist qualities--and mostly his films draw humor from the desperate measures that characters go to in their need to be validated and understood (either by the world or another character). Much of the humor in his films is very tragic as well--the kind of thing that you shouldn't be laughing at, but find yourself laughing at none-the-less.

I do think Ben Stiller is highly overrated, but I think that he has also been in a few good movies--most of which he frequently wasn't the best character or actor.

I didn't say it was an indie film, I said there are indie films coming out that destroy this mainstream garbage.

Godard's my favorite director.. he's a genius. I am all for intelligent humor. I'll agree this was intelligent humor, but I just didn't find it funny. Just quirky and dry, and not in a good way.

Glad you liked it though.

-
pre·ten·tious: characterized by assumption of dignity or importance.

Most hilarious obvious humor: When Royal, Chaz and Chaz's kids first visit the cemetary: Royal places flowers on his mother's grave. Due to Chaz's comments, he realizes Chaz's wife is buried in the same cemetary..."Oh that's right..we've got another body buried here." (he picks up half the flowers and hands them to Chaz) rofl.

Hilarious. One of the best comedic films I've seen, because it's not JUST a comedy.

I just find it ironic that you hate this movie for being pretentious, when most of the humor is to laugh at how pretentious the characters are. You aren't supposed to take them seriously 100% of the movie. Wes Anderson purposefully made them ridiculous.

"whattaya say we grab some burgers and hit the cemetary?"
"i bet you don't even know my middle name?"that's a trick question, you don't have one" "it's pamela." "that was my mother's name" "i know"

royal making a complete and total *beep* time after time is probably why, at least for me, this movie can be billed as comedy.

The middle name is "Helen," but very funny line.

I think every single line of this movie is funny. I laugh all through it every time I see it. I love it.

I was rolling. Especially in the first half of the movie.

One of the funniest parts is when the kids are asking Royal what he thought of Margot's play. The whole sequence of events.

Chaz: "Well, what did you think dad?"

Royal: "Eh, It didn't seem believable to me."

Chaz: "Well did you at least think the characters were well developed?"

Royal: " What characters? It was just a bunch of little kids dressed up in animal costumes".

Margot immediately says "Goodnight everyone" and walks out of her own birthday party wearing a zebra costume with bullet holes and blood running down the front. At which point I lost it when everyone started half-heartedly started singing "Happy Birthday" as she walks out.

I was in tears laughing.

I'm rolling just reading your post!

What we have here is failure to communicate!

It's definitely not everyone's brand of humor. I chuckle whenever I watch this movie, but my boyfriend - who watched it when I said that I loved this movie and upon seeing all of the great actors in it - thought it was weird. It's more of a black humor and dry wit type of funny.

I'll say, there are plenty of movies people thought were funny and I just wasn't into them. This movie has always cracked me up. I don't think every movie is meant to be read the same way, though. And I think people find humor based on lot of their own experiences. So, nobodies really wrong. But, I think it's the type of movie that, if you run into it enough on cable, and whether you think it's funny or not, if you watch it enough, you may get something out of it knowing what you're in store for. I first watched the film in a sold out audience in New York, and it had been sold out for awhile, and we were all entertained. A friend in the mid-west siad he had watched it at a local theatre and walked out, claiming it was too slow, but now loves it after revisiting it on cable. I'm not sure if the dude ever found the humor in it, but I think he just gave it more of a chance, and it became more interesting. And, not many people would claim Gene Hackman sucked in his role.

I loved the part where Raleigh is speaking very quietly, dictating into a tape recorder about Dudley's unique condition, and he mentions very quietly about Dudley's amazing hearing, and Dudley, clearly in another room, far away, asks him about his hearing. Raleigh then starts to giggle, saying something along the lines of "Amazing"...that scene cracks me up every time I see it...

I enthusiastically agree. Not the least bit humorous on ANY level! Not even a smirk.

The professional reviewers loved this piece of trash. Much of the public hated it, rightfully so.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

It is pretentious, unfunny and tasteless. And for those who say "you didn't get it" obviously don't get much themselves. I understood where they thought you should laugh, but the humour was at best poorly executed and mostly just completetly unfunny. I'll tell you about smart humour, "Meet the parents", THAT is comedy.

I'll never understand why people have to convince others that they're wrong about something that's artistic. Some people find it funny, some don't. So what? Personally, it's one of my favorite movies and I laugh out loud every time I watch it.