The Princess Diaries : She is not a princess, she is the Queen.

She is not a princess, she is the Queen.

If Julie Andrews' character's husband was the King, he was the monarch. She was merely his Queen consort. She said she married into royalty, she was not royalty herself, so she cannot rule.

When he died, the monarchy went to his son, who was Mia's father. He then became King. At that moment Mia became the Crown Princess.

When HE died, the monarchy went to Mia. She was Queen as soon as her father died. Julie Andrews' character was the Dowager Queen. She was not the monarch, Mia was.

Re: She is not a princess, she is the Queen.

Which is another reason it's so stupid that they killed the father off for the movie even though he was definitely alive in the books. That way, it makes sense for her to be just a princess and not the queen yet.

This is my signature.

Well yeah, that's why she's crowned Queen in the sequel.

But in a monarchy, the monarch IS King or Queen immediately the former monarch dies. They don't become King/Queen upon coronation.

That's true - the only thing I can think of is that Mia was too young to be Queen right away, as she's 15 in the film. So in the sequel she has her 21st birthday and then prepares to be crowned Queen, so I guess you don't 'come of age' until you're 21 rather than 18 in Genovia for whatever reason, and until then Clarisse was dowager Queen/regent.

Babies can be monarchs. Clarisse could have been Regent yes, monarch, no. She would never have been the monarch.

Is that the only system? I'm not an expert in matters of royalty, but isn't there a system where a Queen consort can continue to be Queen even after the death of their spouse? Different kingdoms have different systems, right? Or am I reading too much into it?

Although I would really have liked such a plot, with an ordinary teenage girl becoming a Queen overnight. It would actually make a good plot for a more mature reboot of the movie.

In earlier times when monarchs actually ruled and were not merely figureheads, women only ascended the throne in the absence of any male relatives. That is why Henry VIII tried so desperately to have a son. That in part brought about the 'rule' that while the wife of a king could be queen,the husband of a queen would never be called king, to avoid combining kingdoms. Hence, Queen Elizabeth II's husband is Prince Philip (or the Prince Consort), not King Philip. Now that she has changed the line of succession to order of birth regardless of gender, that may change. For example when she dies and Charles becomes King, would his wife be known as Queen Camilla or Princess (Consort) Camilla? or perhaps continue to be known as the Duchess of Cornwall?
Anyway, since Genovia is fictional they could do whatever they wanted, and it didn't need to make sense, just make it possible for the story.

there's one exception to this rule Mary II and William of Oranage

Well maybe Genovia's monarchy works differently.

No. She doesn't become the queen until she her actual coronation.

I just watched the movie and it's stated that Mia's father died two months prior to Clarisse coming to visit and telling Mia she's a princess.

When he died, the monarchy went to his son, who was Mia's father.

Actually it went to Mia's uncle, who abdicated the throne which then went to Mia's father, making her the crown princess.

You don't expect Americans to understand monarchy, any better than they understand how to rule the world?

Not quite correct. The older brother of Mia's father became king first, and then gave up the throne to enter the church. But if Mia's father had died two months before, she would have automatically have become Queen. More importantly, it is hardly likely that the sole heir to the throne would be allowed to live in anonymity in the USA.

how would she have known that she was a Queen/princess of an unknown country that both parents I think hid from her?

Maybe Genovia's laws of succession give the spouse of the monarch the crown matrimonial. It's a fictional country, it can have any kind of succession that doesn't match what people are used to.