Books : SOLVED - Thriller/Horror Short Story Title Help

SOLVED - Thriller/Horror Short Story Title Help

Hello all,
I am trying to remember the name of a short story I read many years ago (probably close to 20 years or more now). I believe it was probably in an anthology book such as the Alfred Hitchcock anthologies of short stories or perhaps in the Ellery Queen magazine (as I read that a lot). Any help would be greatly appreciated (thanks in advance). Also I guess spoilers as I do remember the end of the story (lol) .... Here is what I remember of the story:

I believe it was a semi-dark detective story and told from a first person perspective (the "writer" narrating the story as it happens to him). The detective/main character is searching for a man/suspect(?) (although I do not remember why). At the end of the story the detective is in the home of an older woman whom the suspect had ties to. When the detective asks the woman if she knows where the suspect is the woman takes the detective to the basement (or perhaps a secret room) and revels she had kidnapped the suspect (I feel like it was over a year prior) and had tied him to a bed and was only feeding him enough food and water to barely survive. The woman tells the detective that the suspect had killed her daughter years before(or perhaps raped the daughter who then killed herself) and the woman refused to kill the suspect; wanting him to suffer for his crimes. As I recall this is where the story ends without knowing what the detective does after this (does he turn her in, does he free the suspect, etc).

Once again thanks for any help with this one.

Captain Campion

I let the half of me that feels crazy speak for the half of me that feels alone --- John Engman

Re: Thriller/Horror Short Story Title Help

This is the plot of an Oscar winning foreign film based on a novel by Eduardo Sacheri. The major difference is that, instead of minimum feeding, the jailer refuses to speak to the prisoner or allow him any outside communication, making him desperate for human companionship.

The movie is El secreto de sus ojos (2009) (The Secret In Their Eyes).

mf

Trust me. I’m The Doctor.

Re: Thriller/Horror Short Story Title Help

I thought that I had read it at least 10 years ago and it was a short story but I may very well have gotten two stories/books mixed together. I will have to check out the movie though as even if it is not the right one (or again more likely I have mushed 2 separate stories into one) it sounds very good. Thanks. :)

Captain Campion

I let the half of me that feels crazy speak for the half of me that feels alone --- John Engman