Books : Creeping towards Tolstoy

Creeping towards Tolstoy

I'm considering reading War and Peace this year, maybe over the summer.
I haven't read his other works. What would be a good starting point for someone new to Tolstoy--one of his other novels, the short stories, etc.? I don't want to just dive into the deep end the first time around.

I'm not crying, you fool, I'm laughing!

Hewwo.

Re: Creeping towards Tolstoy

The Death of Ivan Ilyich or Anna Karenina, maybe.

I started with Anna Karenina and absolutely loved it. Haven't really read anything else by him, sadly

I am Senor Velasco, I drink my milk with tabasco

...IMO, Dostoyevsky is a better choice...

I've always considered Dostoyevsky more mindful, whereas Tolstoy was more soulful. They're definitely different enough so that they're not exactly competing in the same space, in my thoughts at least.

Which translation would you recommend?

Hewwo.

Thanks, but I'm just a monolingual English speaker/reader (and some days, I fumble over that).
Anyone else have suggestions for good English translations? My available choices
are Maude, Garnett, or Pevear/Volokhonsky.

Hewwo.

I read and liked the Maude translation.

I also read the Maude translation and loved it, but people also love raving about Pevear/Volokhonsky translations I know. You probably can't go wrong between the two.

It IS daunting to dive into his novels. They are pretty lengthy. His short stories are great too, but I don't get quite the same response. I really felt like I had jumped into these people's lives in the novels. Like I honestly missed them after it was over. One of those times when you know you're close to the last page and just hoping there's more before you reach the end.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I'll have to compare parts of the Maude and P/V translations, I guess.

Hewwo.