Books : I Am Legend by Richard Matheson

I Am Legend by Richard Matheson

30 pages into it. very entertaining so far. my first matheson book.

Why hang on to antiquated notions like "the soil is like my mother?" - Man

Re: I Am Legend by Richard Matheson

I loved that book.

I Am Legend is a dark post-apocalyptic tale of loneliness, violence, sexual frustration and paranoia. The book begins medias res in a post-apocalyptic world where all the humans are vampires. It is a commentary on human nature and society rather than an entertaining and inspiring book about survival. Robert Neville, the main character does a pretty good job protecting himself and surviving daily attacks from vampires but he is also drinking himself to death. The reader is treated to Neville's deepest sexual anxieties and thoughts on society in general. Neville is also haunted by his past involving his wife and daughter which are revealed to us through flash-backs.

The book provides an in depth scientific explanation of how a human can turn into a vampire. I am not sure if I would have done all that in-depth research like Neville to get to the bottom of the vampire phenomenon. I think I would have simply hit the bottle and played some music. Frankly, I would have been scared to death.

The inner thoughts of the main character must have inspired Stephen King when he wrote The Stand. I think the book might also have inspired George.A.Romero when he made all those zombie movies. Even those are a commentary on society and how humans react in extraordinary situations.

(6/10)

The latest movie adaptation should have been called "Invasion of the Point-missers".

"Say it with flowers . . . give her a Triffid."

The latest movie adaptation should have been called "Invasion of the Point-missers".

i watched bits of it. nothing great.

The 60s version, "The Last Man on Earth", although far from perfect, is much closer to the book.
"The Omega Man" gets off to a cracking start but degenerates into an action movie about halfway through.

"Say it with flowers . . . give her a Triffid."

Read that in 2001 - really enjoyed it

When you finish "I Am Legend," go straight to "The Shrinking Man" - one of science fiction's greatest novels and the source of one of one of history's greatest sci-fi films, The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957). Extremely powerful endings in both book and movie.

mf

“I know that, in spite of the poets, youth is not the happiest season"

cheers MikeF-6.

It's on my list to read.