Books : If you were the cultural dictator of your country …..

If you were the cultural dictator of your country …..

which books would you impose on the public? different countries might deserve different books.

i am in india which practices large scale state sponsored discrimination against alcoholics (in the last two years complete or partial prohibition was imposed in atleast 3-4 states. overall, there are more than 5 states where alcohol is completely prohibited.). so i would introduce the following books as mandatory reading:

1) TIPPLER'S MANIFESTO by GIREESH JANARDHANAN (malayalam language) - a book which calls for better facilities for alcoholics.
2) FACTOTUM by CHARLES BUKOWSKI - to show that there are people with different lifestyles and these lifestyles deserve respect.
3) THE HEART OF THE MATTER by GRAHAM GREENE - to prove that the devout may need more or as much alcohol as the unbeliever.

name yours.

Why hang on to antiquated notions like "the soil is like my mother?" - Man

Re: If you were the cultural dictator of your country …..

If I were cultural dictator, I should let everybody enjoy whatever they liked and let them spend their own money on culture as they saw fit. My country would have no national endowments for art of any kind. I would, however, arrange for tax exemptions to those who contributed to private artistic enterprises that offered free exhibitions and performances of art, regardless of how these art forms are rated by self-appointed culture elites. Call me crazy.

🇺🇸 Liberty • E Pluribus Unum • In God We Trust 🇺🇸

The real answer is nothing, but for the sake of it, Orwell's 1984, and The Demon Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan, for starters.

Probably better to ban all books from Murakami - sometimes people need saving from themselves

I understand your feeling but Murakami SUCKS

You don't have to know buddy, take my word on it

Personally, I'd rather make it the law that everybody had to dress like a character in a fantasy manga. Admit it, life would be much better that way.

New Du Mont high-resolution picture tube and high picture power give a fuller tone range

Because God-botherers still have way too much influence on the run of the country I'd make everybody read God is not Great. No one religious is likely to give up on their fairy tales, but it would be fun to annoy them anyway.

I'd ban use of the category "Young Adult". So everyone who reads that stuff would just have to get over themselves and admit they're reading kids books.

I'd force every Harry Potter bore to read The Journal of Luke Kirby by Alan McKenzie (chiefly Summer Magic), The Books of Magic by Neil Gaiman & The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy and admit that they're obsessed with a load of plagiarised shìte peddled by a tiresome, greedy hack.

And with the rampant alcohol abuse and homelessness issues we have here I think maybe everyone would have to read Another Bullshìt Night in Suck City by Nick Flynn, because it's a goddamn work of art.
Actually Pimpin; it has possibly my favourite description of alcohol abuse put to the page. If you've not read it I would recommend it.

Yeah, the term "young adult" has always bothered me. Adulthood starts at 18 in America. So shouldn't "young adult" mean 18-20-something? Why do we use it to mean 12-18 year olds?

I'd force every Harry Potter bore to read The Journal of Luke Kirby by Alan McKenzie (chiefly Summer Magic), The Books of Magic by Neil Gaiman & The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy and admit that they're obsessed with a load of plagiarised shìte peddled by a tiresome, greedy hack.

hmmm. havent read any harry potter.

Actually Pimpin; it has possibly my favourite description of alcohol abuse put to the page. If you've not read it I would recommend it.

ok man. i watched the movie with de niro and that girl who passes for roles of american leading man these days. didnt like it much.

Why hang on to antiquated notions like "the soil is like my mother?" - Man