Books : Bibliomania: the strange history of compulsive book buying

Bibliomania: the strange history of compulsive book buying

Re: Bibliomania: the strange history of compulsive book buying

I'm guilty!!!! It broke my heart to part with hundreds of books when we made our last major move from NM to AL a few years ago, it was so hard to decide what to keep and what to give to the Goodwill. I still have piles of books all over the place but I have started using the library more and buying less books after the old man pleaded with me.

I will never let you part, for you are always in my heart: MJ
turn to page 394: Snape (nasty woman)

Can't abide people who drone on about their "TBR pile"... it's not cute or amusing, it's a fúcking compulsive disorder.

Can't abide people who drone on about their "TBR pile"... it's not cute or amusing, it's a fúcking compulsive disorder.

so you borrow from the library? or read on one of those devices?

Mexico does not believe in walls

I mostly use a Kobo these days but I buy paperbacks now and then. It's just the weird cutesy attitude of hoarders that troubles me... it's not a good thing to mindlessly accumulate possessions of any kind and I don't understand people who like to boast about their "TBR pile" while buying even more books. It's not healthy.
I'm a member of this Facebook book club* and people post photos in there all the time of their latest "haul", laughing about how they've just bought 6 books when they still haven't read the last 4 they bought... that kind of stuff, it's just weird.

*I know, yeah, Facebook and all that. People are doing it for attention, etc, it's just an example I had handy.

Adding to an already large TBR pile could make sense if you see a book at a bargain price.

You're my wife now.

Quiet you!

You're my wife now.

Adding to an already large TBR pile could make sense if you see a book at a bargain price.

this happens to me all the time.

It's not healthy.
I'm a member of this Facebook book club* and people post photos in there all the time of their latest "haul", laughing about how they've just bought 6 books when they still haven't read the last 4 they bought... that kind of stuff, it's just weird.

if we were in a bar, i would have called you outside for a punch up.

I buy more books than I should. I have enough books for this and the next lifetime.

Re: compulsive disorder

This might be 'true' though... Well compulsion is at the core of merchandizing that is now the common mirror gospel...
Imho, why shouldn't people be compulsive about books when they are supposed to be compulsive in anything else except at spitting in the eye of the chair ?
**********Edition
(Ok, there must be a way to express this without being gross and repulsive. That was just me in a bad mood, staring at the mess and helpless about it. Sincere apologies about the language. Not about the facts)
And, yes Carlafong is right about the bargain in that angle/sense.

Manelle
"to tax and to please, no more to love and to be wise, is not given to men"

I just told a friend today that I have a problem. We're trying to save money for a big move, but I get a check and I spend money on books. Almost every time. Not all of it, but some, enough to get a book or two or 5 depending on how much and where I'm getting them. If I see a book for $1, I can't pass it up.

I can't help myself. I find comfort in the pages near; that I can go back and access them at any time. That I can lend out a book that meant so much to me (to a limited trusted few) and maybe it will mean something to them. That in a time when I am feeling blue, I can pick up that book that makes me laugh every time; or cry; or feel inspired. I re-read. So if a story means something, I want a copy.

Plus, who knows what will become of this world; what kinds of censorship or changes in technologies will come in the future. Some of these books may be altered (I HATE reading a book that has been changed to take out offensive language or themes); or not available anymore. Just my opinion.

cowmaiden, in my humble opinion I don't think you have a problem. You get such joy from your books, and you also don't even spend all that much, as it's $1 books -- I'm the same, most of my purchases these days are quite literally £1.

I see an addiction problem as being when something just isn't even good for a person but they can't stop. Or that what you buy isn't even interesting to you but something you won't even read or care about, like when people hoard old takeout containers or newspapers yet never use them or look at them. That's a problem addiction. Your habit is still something that's good in your life.

For most of my life I've never really had a "to be read" pile -- I've always bought one book at a time and/or read whatever I bought, simultaneously.

Things changed more recently -- I now do less reading not because I don't love to read anymore, but because I'm busy with other life-stuff and time has been taken away from reading.

But I still buy books I know I want and I know I WILL read. There's nothing compulsive about it -- to me a compulsion is when you feel compelled to do something you don't even particularly enjoy or need or want, thus it's beyond your actual needs or even your desires.

No book I buy is something I'm just buying to be buying. I've never been that person, and even now that I'm busy, I'm still not. Every purchase that joins a small pile I now have, is something I truly want, wanted for a long time, or was intrigued by. The fact that I don't have as much reading time and thus have a queue doesn't mean recent purchases aren't valid ones. Plus yes, bargain prices.