Books : What LGBT stories have you read that you liked?

What LGBT stories have you read that you liked?

I know there's a lot of smut out there for every sexual fantasy.

I'm always interested in reading stories that make you feel on a deeper level. Here are some that I know of/like in the LGBT category:

Mysterious Skin by Scott Heim (very dark)
Fear of Falling by Hannah Goodman ( part of a young adult series)
Angel: A Short Story by Erica Christian (Kindle ebook involves unrequited love and a near death encounter)
Brokeback Mountain by Annie Proulx (the short story)
Becoming Nicole (true story about a transgender youth)

That's all I can think of for now.

Re: What LGBT stories have you read that you liked?

Rubyfruit Jungle by Rita Mae Brown. Parts of it were hilarious, I think some of it is semi-autobiographical and is a lesbian "coming of age" novel that was "revolutionary" for the time it came out in 1973. I didn't read it until about 15 years ago, I'm a big fan of Rita Mae Brown's Sneaky Pie Brown cat mysteries and her Sister Jane series, when I saw a list of her other novels, I started reading them too and have enjoyed all of them.

I will never let you part, for you are always in my heart: MJ
turn to page 394: Snape safety pin

That book is hilarious!

A few that come right to mind....

Nancy Garden, Annie on My Mind
Alma Routsong (under the name Isabel Miller), Patience and Sarah
James Baldwin, Giovanni's Room
Sarah Waters, Fingersmith, Tipping the Velvet, Affinity
Armistead Maupin, the "Barbary Lane" series
Jeanette Winterson, Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit
Ellen Galford, Moll Cutpurse
Patricia Polacco, In Our Mothers' House (illustrated children's book)

ETA: Colette's "Claudine" series

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://librarything.com/profile/CurrerBell

Colette's "Claudine" series

i have CLAUDINE AT SCHOOL. i found it while going through my grandfathers library. would you recommend it?

Why hang on to antiquated notions like "the soil is like my mother?" - Man

You might find the Claudine novels interesting, and if you're going to read them, that's where you have to begin because you do need to read them in order -- Claudine at School, Claudine in Paris, Claudine Married, and Claudine and Annie. There is a lesbian relationship in Claudine at School, but lesbianism becomes more pronounced in Claudine and Annie (Claudine s'en va, which more literally translates as "Claudine Goes Away").

As I say, you might find them interesting. Actually, I read them primarily because of my interest in the translator, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonia_White, one of whose own novels, Frost in May, is among my favorite novels. Frost in May (a Catholic girls' boarding-school novel) in fact has some hints of lesbianism, but it's far from pronounced.

Speaking of boarding-school novels, though, you might want to take a look at the Australian classic The Getting of Wisdom by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Handel_Richardson (a woman writing under a masculine pen name). The lesbian theme is much more prominent than in Frost in May, and The Getting of Wisdom was made into a fairly well-liked film (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076079/reference) of which I've got a DVD but need to get around to watching.

ETA: In any event, though, do give Claudine at School a try as long as you've got it around the house. It's very early Colette (her earliest?) and there's debate how much of the writing was done by her then-husband as a collaborator, but it's short enough that you won't be getting into something too extensive if you find you don't like it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://librarything.com/profile/CurrerBell

thank you for the detailed post, michael. really appreciate it. i added the books that you recommended to my goodreads "want to read" list. i think i might do a month full of LGBT novels very soon.

Mexico does not believe in walls

That sounds like a lot of fun. Enjoy and happy reading. :)

The easiest thing i have ever had to do was give my heart.

cheers, lilsusieq.

anyone read THE WEIGHT OF WATER? think it has a lesbian sub-plot.

Mexico does not believe in walls

I really liked Jazz Moon by Joe Okonkwo and When the Moon Was Ours by Anna-Marie McLemore.

i wrote a 2 book series called The Image by Susan Black. Two young strangers, one worldly and one who has yet to live; left to fend for themselves all alone, coming from different worlds, manage to find one another and common ground when their two worlds collide.

The Image

https://www.amazon.com/Image-Susan-Black-ebook/dp/B00U0R21JQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1485100041&sr=8-1&keywords=the+image+by+susan+black
[url][/ur

There are so many twists and turns along with parts that make you laugh, cry or get really mad. i loved writing this series and i still love reading it from time to time as if it were written by someone else. i hope whomever has read it has enjoyed it just as much.

The easiest thing i have ever had to do was give my heart.

From the OP's list I love Mysterious Skin and Brokeback Mountain was quite beautiful.

My personal favourites are:

The Line of Beauty by Allan Hollinghurst - mesmerising epic set in Thatcher's Britain. One of my favourite novels of recent years.
A Boy's Own Story by Edmund White - haunting semi-autobiographical tale. The sequel, The Beautiful Room is Empty, is also worth a look I believe, although it's many years since I read it.

Do Literotica erotica stories serve? Because many of them, specially the more romantic ones, I devour like how I devour a book. If they serve then I've read thousands.

"I know one thing: that I know nothing" - Socrates

I read the Line of Beauty recently and it was fine. Not amazing.

The publisher did a pretty scummy tactic on the back cover of my version....intentionally hid that the main character was gay. I mean it mentions that the main guy has these affairs, but not that he's gay.
Should it have to mention? Well no - but you can't tell me it was an accident that it wasn't mentioned. Certain book readers may be turned off by a 'gay' novel. Gay audiences will hear about it elsewhere so don't need the blurb

Queer (1985) by William Burroughs

"It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations" Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

novels:
all six "Tales of the City" novels - Armistead Maupin
The Well of Loneliness - Radclyffe Hall
Maurice - E.M. Forster
El beso de la mujer araña - Manuel Puig
No se lo digas a nadie - Jaime Bayly
Elvira auf Gran Canaria - Elvira Klöppelschuh
M. Butterfly - Serge Grünberg
Savage Nights - Cyril Collard
Una mala noche la tiene cualquiera - Eduardo Mendicutti
Breakfast with Scot - Michael Downing
The Hours - Michael Cunningham
Orlando - Virginia Woolf
The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde
Fried Green Tomatoes at the Wistlestop Café - Fannie Flagg
The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap - Paulette Mahurin

(auto)biographies:
Prick Up Your Ears, biography of Joe Orton - John Lahr
The Life of Freddie Mercury - Rick Sky
Aimée & Jaguar - Erica Fischer
Antes que anochezca - Reinaldo Arenas
My Gorgeous Life - Edna Everage

non-fiction:
And the Band Played On - Randy Shilts

Oh Lori,you bring the spring the summer, fall, oo and winter by the season

None. None at all.

--------------------------------
dies ist meine unterschrift

Emma Donoghue has several: I enjoyed Frog Music.

I liked 'The Price of Salt'...read it after watching 'Carol'.

Dancer from the Dance, by Andrew Holleran

Rubyfruit Jungle, by Rita Mae Brown

Giovanni's Room, by James Baldwin

Becoming a Man: Half a Life Story, by Paul Monette (memoir)