Books : Has a book ever made you cry?

Has a book ever made you cry?

For some people, books are more immersive than say television programs.

I tear up on occasion during movies, but the only time a book ever made me cry was The Neverending Story.

When?

When Artax is sinking in the Swamps of Sadness. It's a sad scene in the movie adaptation, too, but in the book Atreyu can understand Artax's language and Artax's words are so sad. I may go find my copy and share the dialogue in the thread later, but that poor horse's words were so full of despair that I actually cried.

It was surprising since the saddest moment in the movie to me is when [spoiler]Fantasia is about to shatter and the Childlike Empress is begging Bastian to give her a name.

So, what was your moment? Or do books not hit you in that way?

"They knew, and they let it happen! TO KIDS! It could have happened to any of us!"

Re: Has a book ever made you cry?

I can't count the number of books that have made me cry. I read one that I cried all the way through and not a drop on my second reading of it. Some of it, of course, depends on my mood. The rest? Who knows. Maybe I didn't have coffee that morning.

Not everything has to mean something. Some things just are. Charles de Lint

I don't think so but I remember having an oul tear in the eye when I finished A Monster Calls.

Oh wait, maybe Paul Auster's Timbuktu.

no. STAYING ON by paul scott brought me close.

i'm curretly reading HEART OF THE MATTER by GRAHAM GREENE. and this is also a very sad book.

Why hang on to antiquated notions like "the soil is like my mother?" - Man

That was the first and last Graham Greene book I read.

you hated it? i love it so far. even though its very very sad.

I didn't hate it but I remember thinking it was relentlessly grim.
You'll love it!

You'll love it!

hmmm. ok man. cheers, i guess.

There are 3 moments in the Harry Potter series that have made me cry, and still do. Series' death, Hedwig's death, and when Harry goes to let Voldy kill him

I think I also cried at the end of the Bartimaeus Trilogy the first time I read it.

Hedwig's death brought a tear to my eye too, also Severus Snape's memories.

I read a book as a child and can't remember the name but it was about 2 little Dutch girls and in the middle of the book some nasty boys stoned their little dog to death, I was inconsolable.

I will never let you part, for you are always in my heart: MJ
turn to page 394: Snape safety pin

Lot's of times.

Book falls on my head, I cry. Book falls on my toe, I cry. Book has profound insights or emotional sensitivity, I cry.

...I'm crying as I type this.

Yes. The last part of Atonement by Ian McEwan —set in present-day London— was especially wrenching for me. Several things affected me emotionally: Briony's descent into dementia in old age, the real fate of Cecilia and Robbie, the several-decades-postponement of the play Briony wrote at the start of the novel, now performed as an homage to her and attended by Pierrot, the surviving twin and an old man himself now, who whas slated to play a part when he was a kid at the novel's beginning.

Of course. Most recently when I read A Dog's Purpose and A Dog's Journey. Cried several times with each book.

I cried at the end of A Man Called Ove. I'm planning to watch the movie adaptation this weekend; I wonder if it'll have the same effect on me (it better).

I'm not crying, you fool, I'm laughing!

Hewwo.

I also remember crying when I read Where the Red Fern Grows as a kid.

The first book that I can remember something about it making me cry as a kid? It was something about The Chronicles of Prydain series and Gurgi? Had both me and my younger sister upset for awhile, maybe because we didn't want the story to end or something? We had a bond over those books for awhile-should reread this series and see if those childhood memories are still sneaking about and capable of squeezing the tear-ducts.

It seems to take far more from a book to get a real rise out of me, I tend to spot the author trying to create scenario's just to manipulate me when I used to be a little less cynical monkey- who'd fall right in head first.

I've read more than a few books that made me sad, but I can't remember any that actually made me cry.

Don't eva let nobody tell you you ain't strong enough

I'm an old softy, I cry watching TV and movies all the time. The first book I remember that brought out the tears was Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee. Very heart-wrenching true story.

No trees killed in the sending of this message, but many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"I'm an old softy, I cry watching TV and movies all the time."

Are you a Cancer?

LOL no, I'm a very emotional Scorpio.

No trees killed in the sending of this message, but many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"LOL no, I'm a very emotional Scorpio. "

I figured you were a water sign. I'm a Cancer so I know how it is being emotional. Sometimes overly emotional.

A Canticle for Leibowitz

Charlotte's Web made me bawl my eyes out as a child and Bridge to Terabithia made me cry also.I heard Old Yeller is notorious for making people cry,but I haven't read it yet.Will hunt for it in the garage and put it on my to-read list later this year.

Charlotte's Web as a movie made me cry.

"They knew, and they let it happen! TO KIDS! It could have happened to any of us!"

A Canticle for Leibowitz

Just read that a few months ago.

Really good read.

Dang, I was going to write the text here, but I went back and read some of it, and it's sadder than I remember. Must've blocked out the trauma or something! So sad...sorry. Hope you guys have read it.

Most recently - And Every Morning THe way home gets longer and longer by Fredrik Backman. Its a novella. I bawled, literally sobbed.

All the time. Most recently, A Man Called Ove.

First, I do not cry only if a book (or a movie) is tragic. I may also cry when something is extremely beautiful. Alain Robbe-Grillet published at the same time the movie “The Undeadly One” and the book. The book was not intended to be a film manuscript. It was clearly meant to be an independent and complete art of work. I own the book in both French, English and German. I prefer the German edition, and I cried because of the beauty when I read it for the first time.

The book or rather a part of which has more than any other made me cry: “Under the Sun of Satan” by Georges Bernanos. The central person is a young priest with low self-confidence but a burning faith. The novel starts with a prologue about a young girl. But then she disappears an the main novel starts.
However, near the end of the first half she reappears and commits suicide. According to Catholic belief people who take their own life will land in Hell. But while she is bleeding to death the priest carries her to the church and gives her the absolution of the church, so that the road to heaven shall not be closed for her.

Pär Lagerkvist has written extremely beautiful poems. One example.

Gissa din gåta, lillebror,
som jag vaggar i kväll under stjärnor.
Himlarna mörknar och världen är stor,
Vaggan är upphängt i stjärnor.

Gissa din gåta, din och min,
och sen kan du somna så stilla
i dina vackraste drömmar in
och intet skall göra dig illa.

Guess your riddle, baby brother,
whom I rock to sleep beneath stars.
The skies darken and the world is vast,
the cradle is suspended in stars.

Guess your riddle, yours and mine,
and then you can fall asleep so quietly
in your most beautiful dreams
and nothing will do you harm.

Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng.

Yes, I find that is the sign of a great book.

It does seem as though it happens less in my adulthood than it did in my childhood or adolescence.

I just finished Call Me By Your Name yesterday while spending seven hours in Colombo airport and cried while waiting at the busy departure gate.

Three out of my last four books made me cry; the most recent was A Man Called Ove.

Yes; the end of A Tale of Two Cities; the final paragraphs of The Grapes of Wrath; the moment Eponine takes a bullet for Marius in Les Miserables. A few more, I'm sure...

Yes, a number if them

I cried like a teenage girl getting dumped on prom night when I read The Art of Racing in the Rain.

Marge: He's had a heart-attack! Quick someone do CPR!
Homer: [singing] I see a bad moon rising.

A few, yes. A children's book in which the girlfriend of the main character dies. I was 9 or 10 years old at the time. I don't remember the title anymore (it was 30 years ago after all). Oh a few years later there was The Chronicles trilogy and The Legends trilogy in DragonLance. I was twelve at the time.

It`s far easier to start a war than to end one.