Books : Stephen King's best books

Stephen King's best books

I've only read The Green Mile and The Shining and REALLY enjoyed them. What does everyone else think? Some people say The Stand, but that book is too damn big.

Re: Stephen King's best books

Salem's Lot, Misery, Pet Sematary, The Colorado Kid, On Writing, Danse Macabre, Christine.

"Say it with flowers . . . give her a Triffid."

Stephen King is mentioned here so often I decided I needed to list out what I’ve read, lol.

I don’t think I find as much variance in the quality of his work as others do – this makes it tough for me to pick out his “best,” but then again that also means there’s relatively few that disappointed me.

My short answer is you can’t really go wrong with any of his earlier work, including the novels you’ve already read. Regardless, I bolded what are my “guesses” at personal favorites. I italicized those that were indeed disappointments.

BTW, I’ve not read The Green Mile, but I’m assuming if you liked that you definitely should read “Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption,” found in Different Seasons. At the time maybe my favorite King story.

Carrie
Salem’s Lot
The Shining
The Stand
Night Shift (short stories) – Great fun, especially when reading for the first time.
The Dead Zone – When King was my favorite writer, in the ‘80s, this was my favorite novel.
Firestarter – Like The Dead Zone, more of a thriller than a horror novel.
Cujo
Different Seasons (four novellas) – Especially “The Body” and “Shawshank Redemption”
Christine
Pet Sematary
The Talisman – A bit of an underdog here, but I thought it was a great foray into fantasy.
The Bachman Books (four novellas)
Skeleton Crew (short stories)
It
The Eyes of the Dragon
Misery – Finally read this in the last couple years and it could be his best. Nasty and (unlike most of his novels) concise. And the underlying themes of writer’s block and drug addiction are irresistible, considering King’s real-life struggles.

Insomnia
Black House – The sequel to The Talisman and likely my least favorite King novel.
From a Buick 8
The Dark Tower Series (first seven novels, I haven’t read the follow-up) – I liked volumes 2 and 3; unlike the apparent majority, I didn’t care for 4. King doesn’t map out his stories and I’d guess that’s one reason this series is kind of a hot mess. I never would pick any of this series as his best work.

Cell
Lisey’s Story
Duma Key
Under the Dome – Along with Black House, this is one of his few standalone novels that disappointed me. And it takes 1,000 pages to get there.

California Ãœber Alles

I forgot, I also read Mr. Mercedes. The first 3/4 was great, but the last 1/4 annoyed me. I was excited to read the whole trilogy, but not so much anymore.

I avoided him for years because I don't read the horror genre. But then I read his memoir 'On Writing' and loved it (I've read it twice again since). So I resolved to give his non-horror books a try since he does branch out now and again.

I really liked Joyland - his coming of age, true crime type novel. I also liked 'Different Seasons' - a set of four novellas.

I haven't tried anything else yet but I always keep an eye out. I really like his way w/ words.

I've read pretty much all of his novels, but my tastes lately run toward his more recent works. You won't go wrong with:

11/22/63
Duma Key
Lisey's Story

No trees killed in the sending of this message, but many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

I've had 11/22/63 on my list for awhile - I'll look into the other two. Thanks!

My favorite King book is "Delores Claibourne", nothing spooky in this book but a well told story. Stephen King truly understands women. I laughed at parts and teared up at parts. One of my favorite quotes is from this book:
"Sometimes you have to be a high riding bitch to survive, sometimes being a bitch is all a woman's got to hold on to."

I will never let you part, for you are always in my heart: MJ
turn to page 394: Snape safety pin

"Sometimes you have to be a high riding bitch to survive, sometimes being a bitch is all a woman's got to hold on to."

I'm laughing as I picture in my mind's eye Kathy Bates speaking this quote. LOL

No trees killed in the sending of this message, but many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

I really identify with this quote Socks.

I seen Misery once, after i saw Bates break his ankles i was done with the movie yikes !

Animal crackers in my soup monkeys and rabbits loop the loop

In Delores Claibourne, Kathy Bates plays an abused wife who gets even. The husband is a real jerk and also a pervert. Its really a good movie.

I like his short stories the best. He's actually a very imaginative man, but so many of his novels are simply taking ultra-traditional monsters and other horror themes and putting them in a fairly well written novel.

Not that every story or every novel follows this rule, but I've often come away from a King short story collection thinking "a mixed bag like any anthology, but some of these ideas were different than anything I've seen before."

At the same time, my response to The Shining is "nice, but The Haunting of Hill House, Hell House and Burt Offerings were better and more innovative (and I think all written earlier)."

It. No matter how many times I read it, it feels like the first time.

Don't eva let nobody tell you you ain't strong enough

He's actually a very imaginative man, but so many of his novels are simply taking ultra-traditional monsters and other horror themes and putting them in a fairly well written novel.

Actually, I've noticed that King usually writes stories about ghosts and demons and psychopaths and even aliens every now and then but NOT traditional monsters; only one vampire novel ('Salem's Lot), one werewolf novel (Cycle of the Werewolf), and not a single mummy story.

We try but we didn't have long
We try but we don't belong...

-Hot Chip (Boy from School)

Not really a book, rather a short story. But I enjoyed Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption.

It`s far easier to start a war than to end one.