All in the Family : Edith bunker''s death

Edith bunker''s death

I was a faithful follower of ALL of ALL IN THE FAMILY seasons , but I missed the two episodes leading to the end ( before series ended and it was renamed Archie Bunker's place ) .I found out that Edith had died , but since I missed the final two episodes, I missed finding out HOW she died . Could anyone please provide an answer??

Re: Edith bunker''s death

Edith NEVER died in the All In The Family series. In the actual last episode, she did wind up having a blood clot on her leg that she thought was just a minor bruise, but she still was able to live through the entire series. I use to think that she did die there and Archie Bunker's Place began right after she died, but I was way off on that. She did appear on five episodes of the first season and showing no signs of any illness with no mentions of any blood clots. It was the beginning of the second season where she died. The episodes, a two part, was called Archie Alone. It took place about a month after her passing. It was mentioned that she died of, I believe, a stroke while she was asleep. The two part-er was basically Archie trying to come to terms with her passing...

I gotta see that again. I only saw bits and pieces of it.

Movie Theater: Young Frankenstein 10/10. RIP Gene Wilder. One of the funniest people of all time.

I think they have both entire episodes on Youtube...

That's interesting because I watched it when it originally aired and I don't remember Edith in it AT ALL! As a result, in subsequent years, I too assumed the show started after her death, and I always thought the blood clot killed her after all.

To everyone else who posted about hating the show: I find your reactions interesting. As I said above, I watched it when it originally aired and I always liked the show.

I liked that it centered around Archie and Stephie and him trying to do his best to raise her well. I also liked that sometimes she taught him things about life too.

All in all, I thought it was a good show. Do I wish Edith was around? Sure, but for whatever reason, apparently she didn't want to be a part of it (I'm guessing), but it wasn't any worse (to me) without her.

EMOTICONS ARE BACK! YAY!

Jean Stapleton had had enough of the weekly work schedule, which was why she declined the starring role in Murder She Wrote.

I stopped watching TV by the time ABP started (I was never home after I picked up my driver's license), but I wanted to see the first episode. I found it quite unspectacular and not having Edith on the premiere I thought was lame. I watched maybe two other episodes through the course of the show.

I've said it over and over, the magic of All In The Family was COMPLETELY GONE after the 8th season. The 9th season and Archie Bunker's Place were complete abominations. They should have never been done. They could have ended the series on such a dramatic high note with the Bunkers and the Stivics saying goodbye to each other as oppose to dragging the series out into the ground...

Norman Lear probably agrees with you, but the network squeezed out season nine, then O'Connor wanted to continue Archie's character with ABP.

I had just heard, maybe here, that Carroll, wanted to resume, or maybe the studios wanted to resume the Archie character in the 90's where Archie was a full time cab driver now, and the situations would take place in his cab. Lear had no interest as he was concentrating on 704 Houser St.

RIP Gene Wilder. One of the funniest people of all time. RIP Robert Vaughn

That's true. O'Connor did come up with that idea, but no one wanted to produce it. It could've been interesting.

He was already doing In the Heat of the Night until 1995. When was he gonna do an All in the Family reboot?

Afterwards, probably.

Well, but the timeline doesn't add up then. Wasn't Lear working on 704 Houser St in like 1994? That was his reason for turning O'Connor down. O'Connor was still on ITHOTN for other year. By 1996 or so, O'Connor was only 4 years away from kicking the bucket.

I don't have access to my All in the Family behind-the-scenes book. It's in storage somewhere.

Well, either way, it never materialized, obviously, and 704 Houser Street flopped.

Never did see that, other than the pilot that came as one of the bonuses on the disc collection I have.

Well, there couldn't have been more than 10 episodes.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

It's Canon whether you like it or not.

Movie Theater: Young Frankenstein 10/10. RIP Gene Wilder. One of the funniest people of all time.

Post deleted

It's okay.

Agreed. It's also known as "Jumping The Shark", and there are several recently popular shows that are at that point right now.

Big Bang Theory.

I heard that Jean Stapleton didn't want to play Edith anymore.

She was quoted as saying that during season nine the writers made her too "ding batty".

9 years is a long time to play the same role.

True, but she didn't approve of the way the writers had treated the character.

You think if they treated the character better or whatever, she would have stayed?

I think so.

Maybe in an alternate universe.

No, I'm confident that if Jean has thought they were doing the character justice she would've had more enthusiasm to take part in ABP.

Post deleted

She said they made her character "too dingbatty". Earlier in the show she would display flashes of great wisdom. None of that in the later seasons, particularly in season nine. And those same writers carried on onto ABP, at least for the first couple of seasons.

Post deleted

Take a look at the episodes where she tries to take out a bank loan, and particularly when she was arrested for passing a phony bill. Great comedy, but from the actress' standpoint, I can see how she might've been dissatisfied.

She should've kept her mouth shut and kept collecting the mondo checks, I'm sure she was getting.

I'm sure she was well off by then. She became semi-retired after that and didn't need the grueling weekly work schedule of a series.

Semi-retired? Lol. Yet, the jerk couldn't even go to O'Connor's funeral.

I can't really comment unless I heard her side of the story.

Post deleted

Well, if it was merely because of a play, that's BS. The death of a close friend of over 30 years is more important than a stupid play.

There's always the possibility she didn't want to face the funeral of a friend like that.

Possibly. I still don't like it.

Like I said, I'd have to hear her side of it before passing judgement.

Well, they're both dingbatting it up in heaven now.

Or pergatory.

Post deleted

Marilyn Monroe...

Her show with me would be X-rated.

As it should be.