Double Indemnity : DVD Release!!!!!!!

DVD Release!!!!!!!

Great news! When Universal releases the Special Edition of the 1944 classic starring Fred MacMurray and Barbara Stanwyck on DVD on August, 29, 2006, it will include the 1973 TV movie with Richard Crenna, Lee J. Cobb, and Samantha Eggar.

Re: DVD Release!!!!!!!

is this as good as the 1944 original movie?

i believe this is not as good as the original, but aworthy addtion to the special addition

Just picked up the DVD, for the 44 version of course, and was pleasantly surprised to see this on there. Never seen it, but I'll take a look after I finish watching my favorite!

Technically speaking, the TV version isn't bad but it lacked any charisma from the characters and there's very little style to it. All they did was lift 98% of the lines, add in a few of their own and that was it. This thing is just as bad as the Psycho remake. Why even make this? Why not just air the original?

I gave it a 2/10 just for the fact there is NOTHING about this that is original. I don't have high expectations when it comes to remakes, but at least part of it has to be of its own rather than just a carbon copy of the orginal.

-
Movieman's Guide to the Movies Forum
http://www.moviemansguide.com/forums

I just watched it and thought the same: why did they even bother making a remake?
I expected more.

Okay, I now own the new DVD release and have heard that the '73 remake is awful, but is it worth putting in the player just for comic relief, will it fall into the "It's so bad, it's good category?"

I just watched the remake. It was fun in a cheesy sort of way. Definitely worth watching once if you're a fan of the original (which, presumably, you are if you own the new DVD).

Just cut them up like regular chickens.

I saw this cheap re-make ONLY because it was part of a double disc package with the original version. All of that was packed into 75 minutes. 75 minutes. They hacked off a lot of intrigue just to fit it into that early 1970's ABC Movie of the Week timeslot. Speaking of that, does anyone know if some of those fast paced ABC movies on the week are on DVD? For the most part they were fast paced and fun.

It's so bad it's bad.

Yes. Why would anyone watch this twice.
Poor Billy.

"Don't just stand there, do something!"
"Help. Police. Murder."

A completely pointless remake, but Lee J. Cobb did a good job as Keyes, playing him much as more haggard and dyspeptic than Edward G. did in the original.

Billy Wilder said he saw this TV remake and not surprisingly he was quite disappointed.

Wonder if he saw Body Heat (1983) and what he thought of it. That was like a spiritual remake of Double Indemnity.

Fascinating to watch the remake. The script is so similar but the impact is far less. One could imagine those blandly lit TV sets becoming blandly sinister is shot well. One could imagine familiar actor Crenna doing a great switch of type like MacMurray did, surprising us with the rottenness beneath the smoothness.

But nothing.

The biggest thing missing is the eroticism. The anklet is changed to a bracelet and there is no other focus for Neff's eroticism. The scene behind the door is changed so we do not get the sexual charge of their pulling the door between them while Robinson sees unknowing.

Overall it is fascinating to see how without changing much, everything is changed.