The Soapbox : If Shawshank Redemption were released today, it'd win the most Oscars.

If Shawshank Redemption were released today, it'd win the most Oscars.

1995 Academy Awards were kind of a joke. Shawshank was nominated for 7 Oscars, and didn't win any of them. Samuel L. Jackson didn't win for Best Supporting Actor, and Shawshank and Pulp Fiction were both up for best picture, losing to Forrest Gump.

If Shawshank were released today, it'd probably be up for about 10-12 nominations, and win 3-5 of them. Best Picture, Best Supporting Actor, Best Screenplay, and a couple technicals.

The Revenant was up for 12 and won 3, and Shawshank is MILES above the Revenant. That's not to take anything away from that movie, The Revenant was good in its own right. But it's no Shawshank, and I think if The Revenant were released in 1994, it would likely only have about 3 nominations and not win any of them.

You're never fully dressed without a smile.

Re: If Shawshank Redemption were released today, it'd win the most Oscar

Overrated in my opinion.

February 20: Death of the self-importants.

It sucked

The Revenant was up for 12 and won 3, and Shawshank is MILES above the Revenant

Kill yourself

In my opinion, Forrest Gump, Shawshank, and Pulp Fiction are some of the greatest movies ever made. I'm not mad Forrest Gump won so many awards, all of those three deserved to win equally. I put Quiz Show up with those three as well. If those movies were to come out in different years, they would have all won. 1994 was one of the best years for movies.

Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career.

Yes it was the best year for movies.

They will probably give Sam Jackson a "make up" Oscar eventually for passing him over on Pulp Fiction for a role he's less as good in. The Oscars are often about giving veteran actors make-up Oscars when they're long overdue for a Oscar or have been snubbed in the past.

Morgan Freeman for Million Dollar Baby
Leo for Revenant (He was good, but no better than his previous nominations)
Meryl Streep for Iron Lady (after 12 winless before this, she was due)

You're never fully dressed without a smile.

Can't forget Pacino (greatest actor of all time) for Scent of a Woman (which was good but not as nearly as good as his other performances). How Pacino doesn't have at least 3 Best Actor awards is beyond me. I think Robin Williams said it best when Pacino won the AFI Life Achievement Award a couple years ago: "We could've given you this award in 1975".

Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career.

Shawshank was a pleasant but overlong and overrated movie.