Oliver & Company : The animation is incredible!!!

The animation is incredible!!!

I've always liked this film, but I've never really payed attention to the animation. Only lately when I re-watched it closely, I realised how stunning and innovative (for its time) the animation was in this movie. It's a truly gorgeous film and it's sad it is so underrated

Oh, Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Re: The animation is incredible!!!

The animation is probably the most detailed I've ever seen in a full-length animated film. Especially considering the great use of product placement to make it as authentic as the real New York City is, save for a few inaccuracies (like how the subway trains are actually powered by an electric third rail).

Have you only seen one animated movie? Try Pinocchio to start or literally any other animated movie!

Wow are you guys for real? I just saw this movie for the first time today and I came here specifically to see if anybody else has made any comments about the incredibly poor animation. The opening scenes feature worse animation than many TV cartoons I've seen! The 80s were not Disney's finest hour that's for sure.

Really? Poor? Wow. I've always thought that it was extremely gooddetailed, realistic, gritty (most appropriate to the setting), smooth. The animals' anatomies and gaits are excellently captured.

Maybe I was quick to judge. The opening animation is very poor but it does get better after that.

It's fine if you don't like it, but I definitely doin the beginning it seems more stylized and almost watercolor painting-like, and becomes more realistic as it gets into the opening song and the start of Oliver's story.

They were still making the transition from the scratchy '70s animation to the supersmooth '90s animation, plus experimenting with computerized graphics some hiccups were bound to occur.

Supermodelsspoiled stupid little stick figures mit poofy lips who sink only about zemselves.

Yep, that is true. You can definitely tell its time period, but all in all I thought they did a swell jobespecially given what they had to work with at the time.

They were still making the transition from the scratchy '70s animation to the supersmooth '90s animation, plus experimenting with computerized graphics some hiccups were bound to occur.

^this, the cgi in the subway scene was good

The movie was made in the 80s

By watching the opening animation inside the city, I couldnt get it out of my mind that they must have been influenced by Ralph Bakshi somehow

Its actually very weak compared to its peers (check out Little Mermaid and Rescuers Down Under-they are marvels). Most of the backgrounds are static, no movement, which is laziness on the part of the animators. the computer stuff like the car is pretty awesome, but the characters' movement is nothing special.