unaffiliated with imdb.com
: Which Movies Should Have Won All 5 Major Oscars?
Which Movies Should Have Won All 5 Major Oscars?
2 years ago
(February 12, 2017 10:57 AM)
Member since July 2009
I have been wanting to start a thread on this topic for a long time. So, I guess since IMDb is closing the message boards soon, I better get this thread started!
For those of us who follow Oscar history, the only 3 movies in history to win all 5 major Oscars (Picture, Director, Screenplay, Actor, Actress) are It Happened One Night (1934), One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975), and Silence of the Lambs (1991).
Two questions for everybody:
1) Do you think these 3 movies deserved all 5 of the major Oscars?
2) Are there any other movies in history that should have won all 5 of the major Oscars?
Remember, these are only subjective opinions. I'd like to hear everybody's opinions.
1) The only one of the 3 movies that should have won all 5 of the Major Oscars, in my opinion, is 'It Happened One Night'. It deserved all 5 of those awards. Regarding the other two movies, I have no problem with Cuckoo's Nest winning the Best Picture Oscar, but I think the Oscar for Direction should have gone to Robert Altman for Nashville, or maybe Spielberg for Jaws. Nashville and Jaws seemed like more challenging movies to direct. Same for Lambs. Lambs probably deserved Best Picture, but I would have given the direction Oscar to Oliver Stone for JFK. I found Stone's masterful direction job more impressive than Jonathan Demme's. Not that Cuckoo's Nest and Lambs didn't have great direction, I just found Nashville and JFK to have better direction.
2) The one that comes to mind is The Graduate (1967). It's a film that should have won all 5 major awards. Dustin Hoffman and Anne Bancroft deserved the Actor and Actress awards, and the film also deserved Best Picture and Screenplay. I found Hoffman's and Bancroft's performances better than Rod Steiger's and Katharine Hepburn's. And I feel The Graduate had a better screenplay than 'In the Heat of the Night.'
Re: Which Movies Should Have Won All 5 Major Oscars?
2 years ago
(February 12, 2017 10:26 PM)
Member since April 2003
2) The Ten Commandments 1956. GWTW 1939.
--Every man's death diminishes me...because I am involved in mankind--